• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sony to make Mario Brothers Animated Film

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I know, this isn't about Smash Bros, but let me explain:

According to a leaked email, it says that Sony and Nintendo are going to team up and make an animated film about the Super Mario Brothers.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony-nintendo-mario-bros-movie#.ocGAOZoE0l
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12...tendo-to-make-animated-super-mario-bros-movie
http://kotaku.com/report-sony-making-super-mario-bros-cartoon-1670192558

It is unknown when it will come out, but I hope it isn't bad like the Live Action Mario Movie starring Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper as Mario and Bowser.

What do you think?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
For me, it'll probably be a disaster. The live action Mario movie was terrible, so I highly doubt this will be good unless it's actually based off the games for once.

Shulkamania

Smash Rookie
NNID
thatguy13
It being animated is a great start if they decide to go through with it. I remember hearing that Nintendo doesn't give rights because they don't want another disaster like The Super Mario Bros. Movie was. I'd like to see an F-Zero/Captain Falcon movie because that has potential.

Nino Rybicki

Smash Cadet
I'm fine with it as long as they're faithful to the games. Video game adaptations are notably unfaithful to their sources. Nintendo's been through a lot of infamous adaptations, like the live-action Mario movie, Mario and Zelda cartoons, Captain N: The Game Master, and the Mario and Zelda CD-i games.

Strangely, there already is an animated Mario movie that came out in 1986 - it's the first movie to be based on a video game. Although, unfortunately, it deviates from the source a lot as well, and Mario doesn't even get Peach. I hope this new movie will be more faithful to the games.

swiggu

Smash Rookie
For me, it'll probably be a disaster. The live action Mario movie was terrible, so I highly doubt this will be good unless it's actually based off the games for once.
not a fair vantage point looking onwards, to be honest. that was the '80s and there's been good movies based on video game franchise since. by "good" I mean it at least being enjoyable for the action, not necessarily a deep plot (which I doubt even someone like Scorcese could do using Smash Bros., really).

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
As long as it stays faithful to the games, I'll watch it. I'd love for it to be based on maybe one of the RPG games though, just watching Bowser kidnap Peach yet again would probably not be that fun to watch unless they spice it up and add more depth.

Also, considering how he's a silent protagonist, I wonder how good Mario will be speaking in this or if he even will have lines at all. He hardly talks much in any of his games, even Super Mario Sunshine, where almost everyone has voice acting and speaks full sentenes.

Top Bottom