• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Stages...

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
You know I've been wanting to ask exactly what stages Sonic pwns at?

And what stages Sonic sucks at...

I've really playing a lot of FD and Battlefield a lot only..and some Smashville.

But yea any ideas?

I know that Sonic is pretty in FD but since I still a lot of Melee, lets say I'm struggling from the transition.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Stages with far side blast-lines are good for him because he can make use of gimping as a strategy like no one else can. Plus, despite what Zeal says, Sonic really is a pretty light character and he needs to be able to make use of his long recovery. Other than that, Sonic can do fairly well on any level, but that's mainly because he doesn't have a special move or approach that he absolutely has to use to be successful.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Sonic can do fairly well on any level, but that's mainly because he doesn't have a special move or approach that he absolutely has to use to be successful.
I'm going to disagree with that. Ever play on Rainbow Cruise? It's still legal, and it still blows. The inability to use DownB And ForwardB is so debilitating to Sonic's game it's terrible.

He needs spindashes. Spindashes = combos. Sonic - Combos = Fail. It's that simple.

Browny

Smash Hater
any stage which doesnt encourage mass camping (ie, NOT FD)
Ive played against many wolf, olimar and TL users on battlefield and have no problems whatsoever getting past thier wall of spam.

Sonic really is a pretty light character
he is just below middleweight, this has been proven :/

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^Er, below middle weight constitutes as "pretty light" to me.

And also, boxob, it's way too easy to nullify spin dashes in higher level play... To say that it's "so debilitating it's horrible" is a vast over-statement in my opinion. I'll grant you that Rainbow Cruise is a pretty bad level for Sonic, but that's because gimping is almost entirely out of the question on that level..

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Sonic doesn't really have any "good" stages where he'd outshine anyone. FD is good because of gimpability but bad against campers, low ceiling stages can be good for uair KOs but bad against Fox, Pika or anyone else with good vertical KO moves.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Anywhere he has a lot of room to run around. FD, Smashville, Temple. Most of the ones that give him trouble aren't legal anyway. I hate Rainbow Cruise and don't play on it much to start with so I wouldn't know about that one.

Boxob

Smash Champion
And also, boxob, it's way too easy to nullify spin dashes in higher level play... To say that it's "so debilitating it's horrible" is a vast over-statement in my opinion. I'll grant you that Rainbow Cruise is a pretty bad level for Sonic, but that's because gimping is almost entirely out of the question on that level..
Perhaps I just use spindashes in my game a bit more than you do. I play competitively and the spindash and spincharge are staple moves for Sonic, so for approach obviously, but at close range or even in the air. Although the air combos aren't hard to do on any stage. I use close range spindashes for punish people cause they lead into combos that can do up to about 30.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Boxob, I likes me the occasional spin dash combo as well, but I'm far more reliant on gimping. I think I may have mentioned that I usually do about half my damage off the stage and get at least half my kills from gimps.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Gimps are definitely the main way to kill as sonic, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't say I heavily rely on spindash combos. That'd be predictable. But I definitely throw at least 3 out each stock. They really do help a lot. We should fight over wifi. Wifi's pretty terrible but still, I'd like to fight you. What's your friend code?

Top Bottom