• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's speed should become Sonic's main asset

muleet

Smash Apprentice
Hi. I like how a lots of character became really interesting and powerful in Project M, while they keep their theorical interest. Ivysaur has lianas so he has a good range and a lots of kill move around that, for example. But Sonic's speed is anecdotal compared to Ivysaur's lianas.
So I think his b+down move should become able to eject enemy, and not just inflict them damage. It should be twice as fast as it is now, too! Sonic is known for is speed, he is supposed to be one if not the fastest character in video games, so when he does his spin charge he should be the fastest character in the SSB games. Right now he seems even slower than some character when they dash. That's absurd. A player fighting Sonic should consider his speed as dangerous, not boring. Even Wario can project himself on other players to eject them, why Sonic wouldn't be able to do it?
Whatever balancing that should came out of Sonic, must be thought on these basis. I think a way to equilibrate that speed would be to make it really "horizontal", like, he couldn't jump while he does his spin charge, and cannot turn back, or its attack would lose its ability to eject player in both cases, and just inflict them damage.

What do you think about it? Can an attack be really fast, and strong at the same time?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
If you think Sonic isn't fast enough, you haven't seen enough high level Sonic play.

Check out the last match of this set:

Sonic's ability to maneuver all over platforms is incredible.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
But do you think it is fun to watch, or to fight? I personnally don't think so. Maybe Sonic should be so fast while he is running (or spin charging), on the ground then, and not just very smooth all the time, even in the air?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
But do you think it is fun to watch, or to fight? I personnally don't think so. Maybe Sonic should be so fast while he is running (or spin charging), on the ground then, and not just very smooth all the time, even in the air?
Whether or not he's fun to play or watch is subjective. Personally I think he is. I don't quite know or understand where you're getting this notion of Sonic being slow. Sonic is objectively the fastest character in the game on the ground and still pretty fast in the air. His running speed is 4. For comparison sake, Captain Falcon and Fox's running speeds (2nd and 3rd fastest characters) are 2.3 and 2.2 respectively. He also retains a lot of his momentum upon jumping from the ground, as well as having a pretty fast air speed amongst the rest of the cast. In addition he also has the longest dash dance, longest moonwalk and a solid wavedash. On top of that his mobility options are unparalleled.

So yeah I'm genuinely puzzled as to how you've managed to think Sonic isn't all about speed already.

If you think Sonic isn't fast enough, you haven't seen enough high level Sonic play.

Check out the last match of this set:

Sonic's ability to maneuver all over platforms is incredible.
Funny thing is I wouldn't even say this is an amazing example. Sol's Sonic is solid though. I'd say people like MapMark and Nazo are better examples. Here's Nazo's set against GIMR a couple of months ago at S@X:

Last edited:

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's speed IS his main asset. It's almost his only asset. The two core components of combat are space and time AKA range and speed. Sonic has **** range but his speed is godlike. Just having a copious amount of one of these properties opens up a world of depth for a character, and Sonic has more of it than any other character. His run speed is ~50% higher than the next fastest character, his DD is incredible, his air speed is phenomenal. How ridiculous is it that this character's b-air (which does have a relatively horizontal trajectory) is oftentimes actually a combo extender even at mid-mid-high percents simply because of his horizontal mobility alone? The startup time on his moves is also pretty excellent across the board.

Making this character any faster would be a sad, sad mistake from a competitive design standpoint. But if you don't care about game balance in slightest, sure, why not?

muleet

Smash Apprentice
I was mainly talking in my first post about his spin charge, in fact, and not about his general speed. Sorry if it was unclear (notably because of the title I guess). And the fact that this attack cannot eject other character (while it is one of his attack that caracterize him the most).
About what you two are saying, \Apples and SilentDoom, do you think it is important for Sonic (as Sonic himself, not Sonic in SSBPM) to move easily in the air? As I was saying upper, I think his speed could be so usable mostly on the ground (he is a runner, not defying physic laws everytime his body moves wherever he is). All I am humbly proposing here, as a player that likes the character but not what he is in SSBPM, is to rethink the character's gameplay. His present gameplay force players to make combo to kill other player, don't you think it is a bad thing?
One of the problem in his gameplay is his lack of ejecting attacks, that is why I am supposing a gameplay for him where he does not move so fast in the air, and therefore would be more powerful in the ground than now (and then his spin charge would eject). Do you think such a gameplay could be interesting, and doable? (Considering that you know better than me the game mecanics.)

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
By ejecting atacks, do you mean atacks that send the oponent into the air? Because if thats what it is, then Sonic does have plenty of options. U-air, U-throw and U-tilt. As for down b, at certain mid to high percents it send the oponent up so you can combo it with things such as nair and other aerials.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I was mainly talking in my first post about his spin charge, in fact, and not about his general speed. Sorry if it was unclear (notably because of the title I guess). And the fact that this attack cannot eject other character (while it is one of his attack that caracterize him the most).
About what you two are saying, \Apples and SilentDoom, do you think it is important for Sonic (as Sonic himself, not Sonic in SSBPM) to move easily in the air? As I was saying upper, I think his speed could be so usable mostly on the ground (he is a runner, not defying physic laws everytime his body moves wherever he is). All I am humbly proposing here, as a player that likes the character but not what he is in SSBPM, is to rethink the character's gameplay. His present gameplay force players to make combo to kill other player, don't you think it is a bad thing?
One of the problem in his gameplay is his lack of ejecting attacks, that is why I am supposing a gameplay for him where he does not move so fast in the air, and therefore would be more powerful in the ground than now (and then his spin charge would eject). Do you think such a gameplay could be interesting, and doable? (Considering that you know better than me the game mecanics.)
Well, his spin charge is plenty fast. Speed is relative to reaction time. Now, I'm not sure exactly how fast he is with his Down+B uncharged, but it's pretty fast. Fast enough that for most characters, he can start an uncharged Down+B just outside their threat range (I'm just using this term, threat range, to refer to the relative space around a character at any given time during the neutral game where entering this space becomes dangerous. for instance, for Marth, this distance is his current location + the furthest reach of his dash attack in your direction. Same with Sheik and Peach. For Fox, it's SH Nair, for Ike, it's uncharged Side+B + RAR Bair or Fair. For Falcon, it's SH Nair.) So for Sonic, his threat range is pretty enormous considering his crazy good dash and run speed. His air speed is what makes him threatening. This threat range is made less severe when projectiles enter the equation. Sonic's Down+B locks him to being on the ground, as does his incredible run speed. Being able to jump and change your position in vertical space is so integral to this game's fundamental combat system that if Sonic were not able to carry his momentum from his running into the air, he'd practically be useless because his ground options are all very slow. A great way to overcome this is to hop over projectiles, and aerial Down+B as you're passing over the projectile, leaving an opening for Sonic to zip straight to his opponent and hopefully pop them up into the air and open a can.

Anyway, if his Down+B is any faster, it'll just become too difficult for the human brain to react to. There needs to be a healthy balance of moves that must be read vs moves that are telegraphed. If a move must be read, it shouldn't be spammable i.e. it should have a major downside. Honestly, I think Sonic is perfectly fine as he is, though if anything, I think his uncharged Down+B could stand to be just a tad slower, while maintaining his current max charge speed. The ridiculous max charge speed is counter-balanced by having to charge for so long, which gives your opponent more time to react/prepare for the approach. This is the reason PMBR removed Sonic's ability to jump cancel and thus wavedash out of Down+B because he didn't have to commit. The move was broken because Sonic's threat range was insane. The entire stage was unsafe, even though the move did barely any damage, it would still set up combos and could even pressure shields. **** was whack, yo.

Consider what a character focused solely on incredible ground mobility requires to operate effectively. Let's look at Luigi for an example. His dash and run speed are atrocious. However, his wavedash is incredible and gives him excellent horizontal mobility if he has a ground surface to perform perfect wavedashes on. Yet he does not carry this speed with him into the air, he slows down when he jumps. In order for such a moveset to work, his ground options must be fast and be able to set-up and/or extend combos. Jab is great for him because he's relatively safe and can slide through shields with it. If it pokes, he can stop himself using his jump or wavedash back and grab or use another attack and take advantage of that little opening he created. Obviously, CC is a counter to this. Utilt is great for starting combos, great coverage on both sides, comes out fast and he can use it to intercept opponents trying to get to the ground after an aerial, squeeze in and use those opportunities as openings to punish. Same with Dsmash, similar tool with higher priority and more knockback, better on faster-falling characters, but can get kills at higher percents on floatier, lighter characters. Ftilt is a great, fast spacing option. Etc.

So, Sonic's moveset would have to be completely redesigned for something like this to actually work. We already know that Sonic is a jumper, though. He jumps in all of his games and uses his jumping abilities to extend his speed into vertical space, allowing him to reach higher goals. The trick to stringing Sonic's moves together well involves proper use of DI; slowing yourself down at the perfect time such that Sonic avoids being too early and getting hit, but avoids being too late and missing with his attack. Even more precise, is being just on time so that you still get your aerial through and it connects, but you also adjust your air speed appropriately so that you can follow up with your next aerial. Homing Attack is also an important tool for the mitigation of misestimating your air speed after connecting with an aerial and allows Sonic to correct his errors in air speed control.

Hope most of that makes sense. Cheers.

P.S. I'm not a Sonic main at all, but thinking about this makes me want to take him more seriously.

Last edited:

muleet

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thank you for that complete answer, \Apples. I'm still not very satisfied about him and what I feel when I play him, but if you pros say he is interesting, I cannot contradict you. :p
Thank you all for answering.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say I'm a pro, but thank you. Just your average player who's been around the block. ;)

You're still entitled to your own opinion, you may even be onto something, who knows? I just don't see it as being remotely possible that the PMBR would start this character over from scratch at this point, they're much too far into development.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
I'm still entitled to my opinion because as I am not a competitive player and I am french, because of these 2 reasons I did not understand all of what you said. I also guess that, if you had to speak in technical terms, maybe it is that Sonic is not a really good character when played by beginners? What I appreciate a bout PM, is that I like to play a lots of character at my level, AND to watch progamers playing them differently and technically in videos on youtube (I already watched shairn's video before he posted it actually. I also really liked Wizzrobe performances. But, if it can be fun to play him as a pro, I don't know any beginner player that likes him (his specials are too similar, notably, and he's overall hard to control, and not really fun to fight as he moves all the time, while not doing so much damage when he hits. I understand it could be annoying to read such noobs comments, maybe. :o) ). I know I should also get better in PM before criticizing anything, but this difference seemed important to me (it depends on what are PM's goals, but so far I think nearly every character are fun to play for both kind of player, except Sonic).

I have understood most of what you said anyway, and I agree that it could makes him broken to make his down+b faster, but, what if it could be charged more, (by pressing 5 or 7 times, or by pressing it longer, or by doing something more complicated, I don't know what but some kind of restriction) and ONLY then he would go quicker and especially have the ability to eject other players during this attack. (By the way, when I say "an attack ejecting other players", I just meant an attack that in the concept is opposed to the attacks that only does damage, without considering the percent counter (not ejecting him, then). Maybe it's called a "kill move", but I'm not sure.) Making it longer to do would not make it so dangerous on the ground, but still fun for beginners and more Sonic-like, I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom