• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Insta-shield

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
For those who still remember this move goes way back to the games on Genesis. By tapping jump in the air, you can activate his "Insta-shield".

For those who haven't a clue what I'm talking about:
http://www.archive.org/details/Sonic3Knuckles_eu_SS_Sonic_4937
(Its at 00:50 and 01:40)

It was used mainly to shied against projectiles and can be used as an attack. I don't have much time to research this but I heard that it might be in brawl as a reflector. I've no clue on whether it's true or not. Anyone know?

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
I wish it was in hte game. I always liked the insta shield. At the same time though not how it never appeared in any Sonic games otehr than Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. So it's not as if it is some sort of staple of the series, just a really good move for the games that it was in.

Perhaps you can imagine Sonic's neuteral aerial's first hit is like teh insta shield as it seems to have the most knockback of the attack (according to the reports).

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Needs a different name, though. It's mostly a spherical pressure difference, right? I could see it being a decent recovery move, but that's already been taken.

. . .Hey, didn't Sonic's N-air look like him spinning around with razor-edges? Sounds like that pressure difference to me. . .

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
yes the inta sheild as you call it was sonic's second jump. introduced in sonic 3 i believe. maybe it should be his nair but sssbb isn't sonic 3. it was used to kill enimies with spikes on them and get a little extra reach a white trim whent arround sonic when he performed it

FightingGameGuy

Smash Apprentice
I definitely didn't figure out the nair during my time at the demo. Sometimes it could kill, sometimes it couldn't. I'm guessing it has special properties on the first frame of the attack like Bowser's and DK's UpBs; it could also be like other nair's and just lose its power over time but those tend to be pose-like nairs (or sexkicks if that terminology doesn't bother you) and the difference in the knockback in his nair was huge much more like those UpBs where only the first frame has significant knockback at all .

It also did have a special graphic when you performed it, but it was more random sparkles than anything else. The instant shield graphic from Sonic 3 is much more circular.

It would be awesome if his nair does turn out to be the insta-shield. That would make incredible sense, especially for the strong initial frame I'm theorizing. But it wasn't recognizable to me as such during the demo : (. Who knows though? maybe I missed something or maybe Sonic will change or be more polished up before the final release.

Note: I've watched most of the available Sonic video's and haven't seen a single nair in them so we can't confirm my remembering a sparkling graphical effect. If someone does remember seeing an nair in one fo the videoes, please bring it to our attention.

Top Bottom