• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Dair Spike Analysis

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

Here you go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ow my ears. :applejack:

In any case, the blur behind Sonic is a pretty good indicator of the spike timing. Visual always helps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Ow my ears. :applejack:

In any case, the blur behind Sonic is a pretty good indicator of the spike timing. Visual always helps.
Yeah I kinda agree on the ears thing, so I re-uploaded it with a better balance.

Also, the following is also something I believe to be true but it does seem to matter where you connect with your opponent as well (along Sonic's foot). Ideally it seems to work best when you connect with the very tip of sonic's foot, which makes sense anyway. Any other angled approach where it might be the side of Sonic's foot connecting seems to make them go upward. There is definitely more finite testing that can be done on this, but when I would use the dair at almost point blank range above my opponent, which would obviously be early in the animation where we would connect, it would send them upward because the angle of my foot was not directly pointed at them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zuff

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much. I was wondering what made the spike work, couldn't get consistent results.

D

Deleted member 245254

Hey no problem, I'm open to suggestions for other explorations if I see it as something important. Glad I could help.

Zuff

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna run some tests tonight, I'll post my findings if anything interesting comes up.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well this is very useful. So basically, the key to spiking is to connect you DAir really early before the blur has fully started? Good to know.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
just make sure that the dair connects just after you begin falling. the spike isn't at the beginning, nor is it as the end of the attack it's during it's mid descent. also this spike can KO as early as 37% on characters with limited vertical height once their double jump is gone. we can also dair spike and trade with characters like mario, robin, marth/lucina and bowser which results in a completely safe KO option in some scenario's

Chief Chili

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChiefChili
3DS FC
4399-0356-3573
All this time I thought it was right at the start of the attack. No wonder I was not getting it. Seems like a weird window to get.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I wonder what Zipzo is up to now.

:093:

D

Deleted member 245254

Just a lurker these days, I'll be around for the next Japan-only info-dump for some game out there in the future :).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just a lurker these days, I'll be around for the next Japan-only info-dump for some game out there in the future :).
I'm actually surprised I was able to summon you.

That's cool though. Don't be a stranger.

:093:

Top Bottom