• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's dair has a new property to it!

MySmashmains6

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb4sonicrules
Does any one notice that Sonic's dair has a meteor smash effect?! This should give him more killing options coupled with his godly combo ability.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
still wish they had replaced it with the stomp but meteor smash is cool i guess

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
Definitely, I also think Sakurai deliberately gave Sonic a long combo at the end of that montage.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I was very happy to see that during the direct. I'm also glad to see that his Up-B doesn't leave him vulnerable and he can attack out of it. I wondered if that would be changed from Brawl but luckily it didn't.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I was very happy to see that during the direct. I'm also glad to see that his Up-B doesn't leave him vulnerable and he can attack out of it. I wondered if that would be changed from Brawl but luckily it didn't.
Up throw to up-air to Spring Jump into Dive Kick is a brutal combo. :p

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I completely agree. He'll probably see a bit more changes before the 3DS release. Again the fact Sonic was rushed back in Brawl was one reason he was "all bark and no bite". Thankfully Sakurai is giving each character a good look over to see what short comings needed to be addressed.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I know it's too early to jump to conclusions but I think Sonic could possibly be one of the best characters in the game, seeing the buffs he's gotten

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
How good this new D-Air is depends on how good jump+spring is.

In Brawl, I loved to use D-Air as an off-stage kill move (it launched at a low angle for the first few frames) by using a Spin Jump to get far off-stage, D-Air, then jump+Spring to guarantee recovery.
If Sonic can still recover out of D-Air like he could in Brawl, Sonic has one of the safest off-stage meteor smashes we've seen so far which is super scary with how quickly he can chase you.

That would make match-ups like Olimar far easier since that new recovery is spike-bait and again Sonic can give chase better than most characters can be there to snatch opponent's out of the sky.

I had no interest in picking up Sonic in this game until I saw that D-Air meteor. I know one move doesn't make a character but Sonic with a spike is some Brawl Minus stuff.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Oh, Minus?! Man, I wanna get that workin'. >.> <.<

Anyway, finally have some cards for the hedgehog to play at tourneys. I'm beeting Homing Attack will send the victim flying in the direction Sonic hits. Who knows? The Twin Spin/Insta-shield could very well be his finalized Nair.

beeting, what am i talking about

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
Aside from adding a meteor smash the only other thing I could see putting Sonic on top is "fixing" the homing attack. Hopefully it works more like Project M's in that it shoots right towards the enemy instead of hitting their back. I know they've shown it already going for the back but as Sakurai has stated anything we've seen is subject to change so there's still a chance.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
If Sonic's homing attack still isn't up to snuff, there's still a chance it could be fixed with the customizable movesets.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That's very true, though not beneficial when it comes to tournaments.
Don't just parrot what other people say. The game is not even out yet. Do not count your chickens before they hatch.

There is no conclusive proof or subjective data to conclude that custom movesets will need to be banned. There are MANY factors that must be considered before such an action is taken - factors we do not yet know.

Let the custom moves stand on their own merit. Maybe they are broken trash, maybe they deepen and enrich the metagame. But to parrot this meme of "lol banned," before any concrete information is known, makes you truly sound like a "no fun allowed" person.

If it's time for competitive Smash to evolve a bit from Melee, so be it! It will not be the end of the world. If these custom B moves are trash, so be it! But we need time to see. We will not know until this summer.

Thank you.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Don't just parrot what other people say. The game is not even out yet. Do not count your chickens before they hatch.

There is no conclusive proof or subjective data to conclude that custom movesets will need to be banned. There are MANY factors that must be considered before such an action is taken - factors we do not yet know.

Let the custom moves stand on their own merit. Maybe they are broken trash, maybe they deepen and enrich the metagame. But to parrot this meme of "lol banned," before any concrete information is known, makes you truly sound like a "no fun allowed" person.

If it's time for competitive Smash to evolve a bit from Melee, so be it! It will not be the end of the world. If these custom B moves are trash, so be it! But we need time to see. We will not know until this summer.

Thank you.

This.
Custom specials might as well bring a whole new level of metagame of its own.
Can't wait for E3 when I'm sure Sakurai will explain in great detail how the customization will work.
Though I'm willing to bet its balance will be just a thing about power/speed. Sort of like how Mario's fireballs are super fast but barely flinch the opponent, or how he throws a HUGE fireball which delivers a lot more damage.

I hope one can tweak the direction of the attacks themselves.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice

Thank you.
Relax. Take your own advice and think before you speak and don't put words in other people's mouths. It was a joke poking fun at tournaments. Now you look the fool, don't you.

Thank you.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't feel foolish at all. My post, and my criticism, was sincere.

If the post I replied to was sarcastic, it was not apparent. Sarcasm can more easily be denoted by use of emoticons or other such visual cues. Just fyi. :p

in after b-but i was just pretending to have that opinion

Last edited:

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I don't feel foolish at all. My post, and my criticism, was sincere.

If the post I replied to was sarcastic, it was not apparent. Sarcasm can more easily be denoted by use of emoticons or other such visual cues. Just fyi. :p

in after b-but i was just pretending to have that opinion
Show boat your eloquence and grammatical expertise all you like, you still took measures to correct what need not have been corrected. Attempt to justify if you deem it worth your time. You obviously excel at making assumptions and jumping the proverbial gun so I shall abstain from further discussion for fear that you will continue to make an ass of yourself, as the common folk say.

Thank you. :p

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Ad hominem is unbecoming.

My original post is admittedly off-topic, however, and for that reason alone I appologize and will not continue this here any further.

However, if you have any non-ad-hominem opinions to express on the custom moveset topic, I would invite you to join me in the thread on that topic in the WiiU subforum.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I don't think it really counts as a meteor smash. It doesn't hit people downward but drags them down.

D

Deleted member 245254

I feel as though the kick is already capable of meteor smashing even today it's just the hit box for it is super strict, anywhere but the right spot and it will register like a normal attack would.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I feel as though the kick is already capable of meteor smashing even today it's just the hit box for it is super strict, anywhere but the right spot and it will register like a normal attack would.
No, it was never a meteor smash like it is now. Now as long as you're above them, drag them down with the underside of Sonic's shoe and they're almost guarenteed dead.

Thor

Smash Champion
Stark White said:
Sonic with a spike is some Brawl Minus stuff.
That's not Brawl Minus, or if it gets in Brawl Minus [don't think so] it would be hardly be a notable aspect of Sonic.

Now, Sonic frame 8 fsmash - that's pretty Minusy (I think they still haven't sped it up that much yet, but I'm hoping...).

Sonic with a meteor (or spike, no idea if those were reimplemented) - looks like it will at least be good for edgeguarding if there's no auto-sweetspot (Sweetspot below the ledge), in the way that SH dair was good for edgeguarding as Falco in Melee. And Sonic needs some buffs (even though I don't think I'll play Sonic much), so it's nice to see at least one potential upgrade he got.

D

Deleted member 245254

No, it was never a meteor smash like it is now. Now as long as you're above them, drag them down with the underside of Sonic's shoe and they're almost guarenteed dead.
Yeah I notice the obvious buff...the point I'm making is that it *can* work as a meteor smash today it's just not very easy to do.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah I notice the obvious buff...the point I'm making is that it *can* work as a meteor smash today it's just not very easy to do.
Can you define "meteor"? Because in Smash Bros terms, it describes a move that sends opponents down.
Sonic doesn't have a meteor smash in Brawl. His Dair pummelled opponents straight away on execution, and diagonally upwards on fall. But never down... Until SSB4.

D

Deleted member 245254

Can you define "meteor"? Because in Smash Bros terms, it describes a move that sends opponents down.
Sonic doesn't have a meteor smash in Brawl. His Dair pummelled opponents straight away on execution, and diagonally upwards on fall. But never down... Until SSB4.
I describe meteor smash the same way you and everyone else does and I'm fairly sure I've seen the Dair push people in a south direction in Brawl. Not consistently, but like I said I believe it's a very tight hit-zone for it to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I describe meteor smash the same way you and everyone else does and I'm fairly sure I've seen the Dair push people in a south direction in Brawl. Not consistently, but like I said I believe it's a very tight hit-zone for it to happen.
I used to think that too, but I was quite the noob back then. Dair doesn't meteor smash in Brawl no matter what. And this is coming from a guy that LOVES his dive kicking.

D

Deleted member 245254

Well I don't play vanilla Brawl very much (much less Sonic when I do) so I could very easily be mistaken, but I just have faint memory of actually landing kills due to getting people with a "sweet spot" on the dive kick.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
Well I don't play vanilla Brawl very much (much less Sonic when I do) so I could very easily be mistaken, but I just have faint memory of actually landing kills due to getting people with a "sweet spot" on the dive kick.
Sonic has no meteor smash, much less a move that acts enough like to meteor smash to consider this new addition anything short of a mega buff. Sonic needed this big time.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Sonic has no meteor smash, much less a move that acts enough like to meteor smash to consider this new addition anything short of a mega buff. Sonic needed this big time.
Added to his already great air game, and power increases, he should be a force to be reckoned with.

D

Deleted member 245254

I would say Sonic needs a lot of things, as far as Brawl was concerned...

Morbi

Scavenger
I always thought that Sonic's D-Air should have been a meteor smash. I always try to use it as a meteor smash (and obviously fail). So that might get me more interested in playing him more frequently.

Top Bottom