• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sonic vs ike problems

psycho4r5

Smash Rookie
so I have read all of the sonic techniques and use them all the time when i play I can beat my friends that have been playing smash for years and are very skilled but one of my friends who is in no one talented at this game destroys me with ike I cant seem to beat him Ike seems so powerful his smashes can kill me at such a low percentage does anyone have any tips for playing against a character like ike.

Umby

Smash Master
^ Lurk more.

Dash attack into tilts when you get an opening. You can force Ike to come to you and play it smart. If you keep your distance, Ike will most likely try and charge up a Side B. Shield and react accordingly.The Spring gimps him pretty decently if he likes to recover from below. From above, listen out for his Side B and hog the ledge.

mafesto

Smash Apprentice
Use your speed to your advantage don't let him catch you. Play around with him, don't let him know what your going to do next, confuse him, he wont catch you. Then slowly build up his damage by taking little swipes at him. Then when hes got enough go in for the big finisher.

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually an Ike user and have done this match up a couple of times so let's see if my differing perspective can give you some insight. Ike is very slow and can be easily approached by a sonic due to his speed. Charging a side b, with sonic, then passing through the ike and attacking him from the back should cause your opponent some trouble. Try to read the ike. If you're caught in an instance where you're within his sword range, not his fist range, his attack, unless for some odd reason he decides to use the d-smash, will have enough before lag for you to run back out of his range and into an attack. Also, about Ike's side-b approach, if the friend you play is any good he won't try to hit you with the quick draw, rather he'll try to get it so that it ends right in front of you but doesnt slash so that he has no lag.

My last bit of advice is to not be decieved by the little after lag which hinders Ike post-aerial. His Fair has enough range and such little afterlag that by the time you get in to attack Ike will already be jabbing. the Same applies for both the Bair and Nair which auto-cancel. Hopefully, that helps.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sheild and dodge a lot. Ikes attacks are powerful but once u take it witha sheild, you have a nice opening for a counter.

I wouldnt try to do any direct frontal attacks unless your sure he cant meet your attacks with one of his.

avoid using the homing attack because he has a lot fo moves that counter it, and if he meets it with a smash your gone. dont fight from above him, definatyle try to get him above you, and if he is in the air you can probobly chase and if you do it fast enuff he wont have any reaction time.

the spin dash attack is a good option, as always for the sheer speed of it, if he uses his forward b it will only ting the down b spindash anyway, and you have the option to jump over him and come in behind him after he stops.

basicly, your goign to need him at around 200 damage before you can kill so just get a lot of spam in, Fair's jabs, tilts, hyphen-smash

when he is at 200, you best options for killing is going to be Fsmash, Dmsash and Bair

I dont think the Uair would work well on ike because he has counter, Down B, and can out priority it with his Dair

you could try the running attack, turn around Fsmash.. but to avoid a bair, i would rooll back in front of hima nd then Fsmash as he lands.

also if u run near him, sheild/dodge an attack or two, then catch him with Dsmash or Fsmash during his post attack delay.

Bair can be used at any time provided that it is unexpected. it should be easy to catch him off gaurd with it...

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Erm R4ze you hardly need him at 200. And at TC, Ike's recovery is one of the most gimpable in the game and spring spike will screw him over completely if you learn to D Air towards the stage. Run off F Air or N air occasionally on the 2nd jump to catch him by surprise

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Against a Smash happy Ike, I tend to dash into a shield cancelled SD.
From there you can either shield grab or just wait for their attack to connect, and punish during their lag.
Sometimes I spotdodge instead of shield.

Top Bottom