• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Underused?

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
Sonic is the fastest character in the game. If he wasn't then he wouldn't be the speed demon we all know and love. From messing around with him on training and against a few friends, I decided that Sonic is truly a really underused character. His speed, U-Smash, N-Air, and all his specials, make him a redoubtable opponent against anyone without much super armor.

ShbeblyTheGreat

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShbeblyTheGreat
3DS FC
5301-0182-3378
It looks like people are still use to seeing Sonic in Brawl and thinking, "Wow, what a **** character."
But man, Sonic got some buffs in 3DS! I'm pretty sure once someone shows off all his new power and new combos, Sonic will be picked up by more people. Even M2K said he may pick up Sonic in this game.

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
It looks like people are still use to seeing Sonic in Brawl and thinking, "Wow, what a **** character."
But man, Sonic got some buffs in 3DS! I'm pretty sure once someone shows off all his new power and new combos, Sonic will be picked up by more people. Even M2K said he may pick up Sonic in this game.
I am actually excited about this, main reason being, he is a really good character! His playstyle just isn't what I myself enjoy using xD

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I think sonic is really good but isn't the traditional smash bros character in terms of playstyle so I think people don't use him.

He does take some getting use to.

Yeah what the previous post said!

Last edited:

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
He seems pretty easy to combo with, u-throw, up-b, any-air. Or side-b, jump, any-air. Things like that. Decent enough damage as well too. With excellent aerial attacks, n-air mainly

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
The thing is that a bad Sonic will be just plain TERRIBLE.

And since you'll almost always suck when trying a new character, most people probably just give up before even getting decent with Sonic.

Last edited:

Redline!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zagreus
3DS FC
0430-8347-8382
Sonic has his distinct buffs compared to Brawl, along with a couple of nerfs (most notably his F-air's damage output and his D-smash's range and versatility), but it's the changed physics and hitstun mechanics in Smash4 that are the real source of his dramatically-improved viability.

Combos exist now, and Sonic's unparalleled mobility allows him to follow up on combos, tech-chases, and juggles even at high %s. That's a HUGE improvement, especially because of Sonic's lack of "traditional" kill-moves (his F-smash, U-smash, and B-air being his only "normal" finishers, and even they don't have all that much power). Being able to more reliably chase opponents off the top using the Spring and improved U-air, or chase enemies off the sides with f-airs and n-airs, is also a considerable buff!

Really, the only things that frustrates me about Sonic right now are:

• He doesn't have Mega Man's up-B behavior that allows Mega Man to save his double-jump for after his up-B. If Sonic had that versatility, his recovery would be nearly unstoppable thanks to the Spinshot, and it'd be even EASIER to juggle-and-chase opponents off the sides and especially the top..
  • The occasional painful and humiliating SDs caused by the idiosyncratic behavior of the side-B during recovery and by not being able to easily tell what direction Sonic's facing in midair, leading to embarrassing d-air deaths.
  • The meteor on his d-air is nearly impossible to use at all, much less without SDing in the process.
    • This might change as new combos and setups are discovered.
Other than that, Sonic's a beast!

JamesUK7

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamesUK7
3DS FC
4167-4581-3341
I agree with the topic title that Sonic really does feel underused so far... I've only really played For Glory up till this point (not the greatest way to improve I know) and I've only run into a handful of Sonic's and maybe only one or two that actually know what they are doing. Once a few more top players start using him and videos appear on the internet I'm sure more people will pick him up!

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The last NY local I did, BT and I both took top 3 so…

Represent.

Just need to go on a "winning steak".

:093:

JamesUK7

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamesUK7
3DS FC
4167-4581-3341
Ah ok cool, yeah I assume once the Wii U version drops more videos of Sonic will appear, 3DS Cap cards are too expensive!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think it's partly because of the 3DS controls. I feel it's a lot harder to handle Sonic's mad speed on a dinky little 3DS than it is on a proper controller.

Me personally, I've almost exclusively been using Rosalina since I don't have to worry about SDing with her or anything. But I've been practicing with Sonic more lately, and the fact he is now part of a Conquest has served as extra encouragement to do so. I'm already starting to get quite a bit better, and I honestly can't wait for the sort of potential the GC controller will open up for both Sonic and Rosalina.

Top Bottom