• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Techniques - Why Hammer Spin Dash is Amazing

Junglechief

Smash Rookie
I have spent a long time exploring Hammer Spin Dash. With customs legal at evo I thought my fellow Sonic mains would appreciate a little knowledge transfer. Enjoy the video.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd recommend changing the title to something involving specifically Hammer Spin Dash, as "New Sonic Techniques" is vague and misleading.

:093:

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
I like this. I'm a big fan of the move too really so seeing a few tricks to do with it is cool. Thanks for the upload!

Junglechief

Smash Rookie
I'd recommend changing the title to something involving specifically Hammer Spin Dash, as "New Sonic Techniques" is vague and misleading.

Went ahead and did this. Didn't think very many people were using this so I figured it would be new to most people. Mostly I want to push this idea of the 'Sonic Tower' and how incredibly powerful it is and how most, if not all, Sonic mains should be using it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Went ahead and did this. Didn't think very many people were using this so I figured it would be new to most people. Mostly I want to push this idea of the 'Sonic Tower' and how incredibly powerful it is and how most, if not all, Sonic mains should be using it.
Thanks.

I'm fine with it being its own thread, as not a lot of people are actually demonstrating uses for customs.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Is the actual spindash after the initial arc weaker in any way than the average side special? I'm a little hesitant about trying to apply this in favor of the default. Can default down special pick up the slack of whatever is lost by switching from default side B to the hammer spindash? It seems like the uses of default side B are lost by using it. It seems like an equally good way to play Sonic, just... very different.

Also, can you spinshot out of the auto-charged custom down B?

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
What are some of the offensive applications of the Sonic tower in the neutral?

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
In the video, you're able to combo Dedede into an up air after the first hit of the hammer spin dash. However, I tried this in training against multiple lighter/smaller characters (Sheik, Falcon, Marth) and it didn't combo, they'd always fall after the first hit and the up air would miss. Not sure if this is as good as it seems.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Now this is what I like to see when it comes to proper demonstration of Sonic's customs!

After viewing this video, I see almost no reason to use Sonic's default Side-B. I will definitely make more effort to use Hammer Spin Dash in my normal games.

... Unless I find out that I just really love Burning Spin Dash.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
After viewing this video, I see almost no reason to use Sonic's default Side-B. I will definitely make more effort to use Hammer Spin Dash in my normal games.

... Unless I find out that I just really love Burning Spin Dash.
Well, that's a tad extreme.

I like some of what HSD offers but I think it weakens our neutral game.

I've been exploring BSD lately and it really buffs up our ground/combo game, whereas HSD is good for vertical juggling (which is something Sonic's already solid it).

Definitely very different, but interesting options.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
I do think Hammer Spin dash MIGHT be a good option for beating a lot of hop shenanigans. Shieks love to short hop in your face to bait spot dodges or shield drops and punish with NAir/BAir/FAir/Empty Hop Jab/Throw/Cross Up/etc. This might just beat all those options as well as beat dash attacks and grabs. Someone needs to test this for this match up though as I have not unlocked any customs on the Wii U version... Unfortunately, Shiek's customs are also pretty terrifying (those needles!!!).

Does HSD have any invincibility frames? Will it beat or clash with Shiek's Nair and Diddy's FAir? These should be tested as these match ups are very important and being able to finally beat these options will definitely give Sonic a huge advantage he didn't have before this custom.

Also, how punishable is this move? Easier to punish than his normal side B?

Last edited:

Dyce

Smash Cadet
As of the moment. I believe HSD, when abused to the fullest extent, is undeniably better than default SD. I cannot punish HSD unless I keep my shield on and punishing the other Sonic's mistake. However, once can always HSD > Up B away. I am currently trying to find more effective punishes against this as I am a sheik main.

Koq | Milkman

Smash Rookie
As a Falcon main, I haven't been able to find a weakness to this, but I only played against it for three games after never having seen it before, and I got 3-0'd.
What do Sonic mains see as the weakness of this custom? I haven't been able to find any footage on someone using this and losing.

Top Bottom