• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Play Styles.

Arreo

Smash Rookie
Sonic, to me, is a great Combo/Crowd Control Character. I've been know to string his DB Smash to Nair or his Fair, then back to his FB Smash, (Not my only combo but it's my starter one.) but Lately I've been wondering how else to play Sonic, is he doom to be my Combo/Crowd Control Character. So I ask you, my fellow Speed Hog Players, how do you play Sonic, style wise at least?

Umby

Smash Master
I'm currently in a Spin Dash/Charge/Shot experimental phase, since I want to see how well I can consistently combo with it. But I plan to decrease use of that and incorporate more of a grab game. I like his dthrow and usually attempt to tech chase with it.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
never stick to a specific style in my opinion. to have a style u can be opened up and read like a book.

Always change u're tactics on the go and keep u're opponent insecure about u're abilities.

Sonic has enough right now to change up his game from grabwhore, to short hop spindash monkey, to recovery gimp master. Never try to ledgehog with the hedgehog, his upb cant auto-sweetspot, and dair cant be used in practicality to get down fast and instagrab ledge. Sonic can also incorporate a nasty mindgame, with shield cancel grabbing, spindash guard cancel roll back, the patented spinshot, and bein able to feign off both side b and down b with jump and air dodge. Work with it all, mesh it all into one boundless fighter. Sonic as one thing over all characters, his speed, he can potentially control the match by this alone as he can get in and out in a flash. Primarily i play him as a dps builder chase tech character as he proves to be strong at.

There are several techs for sonic exlusively right now as well as all char based techs like stutter stepping and 2x stutters. Learn them all and make u're "thonic thuuper!"

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I agree to keep it varied. I don't play Sonic but I face a good one often, and I always have trouble when he keeps me guessing with all his random attacks. Seriously, good Sonics that use their spin specials to do unpredictable **** are a pain to beat lol. I really underestimated this character....

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
Right now, I'm in a grab/tilt ***** phase, while trying to work on my recovery gimps and chasing game. One thing I've learned to do well is dodge and outmanuvear(sp?) my opponents.

On a side note, I just had two seriously intense Sonic v Mario matches with a buddy. I just learned about the spin dash shield cancel and spin shotting, and they worked wonders. Seriously, it screwed him up bad, and it gave me enough reason to add Sonic's spin dashes to my game. Also, I now know I should check the boards more often.;)

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
yeps sonic boards are VERY friendly. Ask anything, will answer.

if u can become fluent in your spindash/spincharge movement as u do while actually dashing (with the exception u have to hit a to become airborne and start your combo'ing/chasing), u will reach a whole new lvl with sonic in terms of controlling the stage. Dont get me wrong using these abilities will increase u're predictability but practicing with them will allow u to knit this into your attacklist with relative easy. Spindash initial hop works wonders at medium/close range, while downb a short hop allows u to chain attacks easier from the ground. spin charge is faster n dashing, so this its very useful in chasing. Or u could also pivot dash into a bair with forward momentum to snab a quick kill.

Arreo

Smash Rookie
Thanks, Guys, but I do a lot of the stuff your talking about already, I just described my "somewhat" starter combo, I use Sonic as a fluid Combo character, taking on all my enemies at once with him. I do love his throws, I'm quite found of his F-throw. Also I've been know to Sonicide, but cancel at the last moment, to trip my foes up.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
I like to use spin charge, cuz there are different ways I can approach or use it. Spin charge into nair or fair, spin charge into up b. Spin charge then up b in front of your opponent then dair depending if they fell for it, spin charge then homing attack when they think Im gonna run into em. Good mind games.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
One thing I like about Sonic at this point in the metagame is that hardly any 2 people have the same style. Some play defensive, agressive or passive agressive, like using one tech to benefit multiple playstyles (e.g spring for offensive edgeguarding, escaping combos in defense).

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i think thats just because right now brawl is in a really new state, people are mastering different moves at different speeds and discovering different uses for the moves they like or find useful.

also sonic is a very versitile character that u can use to run away, or str8 up attack as fast as u can... and u can even just counter, and chase....

Top Bottom