• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Moveset Ideas

aggronianmaster1

Smash Cadet
:sonic: With the recent release of Sonic in SSB4 i was thinking of ways to implement new(ish) games into his moveset

To start: My moveset will not involve sonic using cheep attacks where he cant be hit :p

I'm going to start with what i think is the best decision on nintendo (and the rest of the companies) part

To start, it seems as though Sega likes the idea of whisps so I feel that whisps will make their way onto the battle field, in more way than one. Think about it: Olimar was able to pluck a random pikmin from the ground so maybe sonic and get a random Whisp colour. All of the whisps could make an awesome Move. Laser, Rocket you know em all.

Now for the less recent games, Sonic And the Black Night. Now don't get me wrong: I HATED THAT GAME. What did they run out of ideas and just gave him a sword??? But still it is a possibility that he will have a sword (Wost idea ever)

And Finally what i really want to see is from the game: Sonic Unleashed. I know many people didnt like it and it got A TON of hate. But i really enjoyed it. Unlike The black night i liked the new game style where i can just swing my arms and slaughter enemies like its my day job. What i want to be implemented is a great idea. Its like Samus's old smash ball. When she got it she changed from the suit to zero suit samus. So when the Smash is used maybe the moon comes in the back and it gets dark and they POW sonic the werehog appears and he can SMASH everyone to bits and pieces. Now wouldn't that be awesome?

So tell me what you think, any moves you would like???

SonicMario

Smash Master
And Finally what i really want to see is from the game: Sonic Unleashed. I know many people didnt like it and it got A TON of hate. But i really enjoyed it. Unlike The black night i liked the new game style where i can just swing my arms and slaughter enemies like its my day job. What i want to be implemented is a great idea. Its like Samus's old smash ball. When she got it she changed from the suit to zero suit samus. So when the Smash is used maybe the moon comes in the back and it gets dark and they POW sonic the werehog appears and he can SMASH everyone to bits and pieces. Now wouldn't that be awesome?
Er, I don't hate Sonic Unleashed as much as some fans do. But I think Super Sonic is fine as it is for his Final Smash. It's more iconic for Sonic as a whole then the Werehog was. If Sonic HAS to have a different Final Smash. Make it Wisp-related.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Sonic should be able to run up walls. Bring in some of the parkour elements from Sonic Lost World. He could even use the spring off of the wall to launch himself horizontally across the stage as opposed to vertically.

The homing attack should be able to hit multiple opponents before ending. Like, if there are three players clustered in a group, Sonic should be able to just hit them one after another without having to stop and activate the homing attack again. It wouldn't have much use in a 1v1 match, but it would still be awesome.

I've always had this move in mind to replace his side special. It really wouldn't be an attack, but more of a slick dodge. If an enemy is directly in front of Sonic, he would be able to flip over them, psyching out the player. It feels like something Sonic would do. You could even jump off the opponent mid-flip, which would be a perfect lead in to the dive kick.

Just some ideas.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I was just going to suggest a moveset based entirely around Wisp powers (Laser neutral special, Eagle side special, Rocket up special, and Drill down special, with a combined rhythm/asteroid Final Smash) but Brad-Rock, you have some very good ideas indeed.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would like it if all of his specials (aside from his recover move) weren't all roll attacks. That is really the only complaint I had. I wouldn't be able to make a move-set. I would draw WAY too much inspiration from Sonic Adventures 2.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Most of his attacks are about crawling into a ball anyway...
But many characters punches and kicks, and people don't seem to complain about that. I honestly don't care what they do, as long as the characters aren't completely the same, in other words, clones.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
- Super Sonic lasts half as long and is much harder to turn in midair while it's active

- Homing Attack goes straight at the enemy

- Ring Toss: This move is the new side-B, with Spin Dash and Spin Charge being combined into one. Sonic throws a ring, which is like Falco's Blaster but with a shorter range.

- Better KO options

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
One move I am really hoping they will change is Sonic's neutral aerial attack. I would like Sonic's neutral aerial to be the wind shield attack he had in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles (which was executed by jumping, then pressing the jump button again midair). I would also like it to have better knockback.

Other than that, there is nothing else I can think of that I really want changed in Sonic's moveset.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
A good idea that I think would work is that they change Sonic's side special from the spin dash to his boosting ability.
Heres how it works:
While on the ground: Sonic will get into a starting position with some kind of charging aura then boosts forward at high speeds. the speed of the attack depends on how long you charge.
While in the air: Instead of charging it happens instantly and fast but doesn't do that much damage as it does on the ground. it can be mostly used for recovery.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Going with Megazero about Boost as side special. However, I thought about it being closer to original games. Both boosts are instant, the difference being the land starting one can be held, with Sonic getting dizzy or tired after prolonging a boost; also boosts have a fixed, big, non-lethal knockback. On the other hand, Spin Charge should happen only on ground. "Usual" Spin Dash would occur in the air.

Some KO moves would be appreciated. I'd go with redesigning all the "Sonic spins and moves" attacks so Sonic can kick out of them preserving the spinning momentum.

Lotusclaw8

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-8228-5583
A good idea that I think would work is that they change Sonic's side special from the spin dash to his boosting ability.
Heres how it works:
While on the ground: Sonic will get into a starting position with some kind of charging aura then boosts forward at high speeds. the speed of the attack depends on how long you charge.
While in the air: Instead of charging it happens instantly and fast but doesn't do that much damage as it does on the ground. it can be mostly used for recovery.
I would agree but in Lost World he has spin-dash instead of boost so it may not be quite as likely.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Sonic could have that attack from Sonic Battle where he throws a ring and appears where the ring landed. It could replace his side special.

TheSubmariner

Smash Rookie
This is a revamp came up with for the specials (I hated lack of variety we got with his last moveset):

Sonic:
:sonic:

<Neutral B> Spin Dash Shot: Taken right from Sonic Battle, Sonic unleashes a Spin Dash which gets converted into a wave of energy that acts a quick-traveling, ground-hugging projectile while pushing him backwards slighty (its reach would be shorter than Mario's Fireballs.)

<Side B> Spin Dash/ Homing Attack: Sonic's trademark ability, beginning in Sonic 2. This move can be charged by pressing B repeatedly, and the side stick can be released after beginning the move. In mid-air, this move is changed to function as his famous Homing Attack, which plays the similarly to how it did in Brawl (less landing lag, but is prevented from re-use until making contact with an opponent) .

<Up B> Spring: Sonic's spring returns as a recovery without any changes to its function in Brawl.

<Down B> Shield(Elemental): Sonic summons a shield to counter a foe's attack,(referencing the shields of the Classic Era) as he presumes a guard stance (ala Sonic Battle.) As a further nod to Classic Sonic games, it is possible to summon an elemental shield that will add an additional effect when countering an enemy's blow,(fire = burn damage, lightning = electric, and water makes the foe temporarily sluggish for a few seconds.)

Typhl0si0n

Smash Apprentice
B Neutral: Homing Shot- Differences from Brawl:
*Faster launch
*Cancelable
*Upon hitting the target, automatically shifts to normal frame.
*Can manually lead the launch with the analog button.

B Forward: Light Speed Dash: Sonic dashes straight forward, leaving a light blue line behind him. When Sonic hits a target, it makes that target go with Sonic still he stops, which launches the opponent away. When the attack is done near a target, they take a critical hit and is knocked upwards. This move goes as long as Fox's dash, but automatically halts on edges. When used in the air, Sonic dashes forward, raising in altitude slightly. He loses action after use until he lands.

B Upwards: Spring: Differences from Brawl:
*Can spring diagonally upwards, but not too much.
*Deals a critical hit when used near a target which makes them blast away.

B Downwards: Spin Dash: Differences from Brawl:
*Can cancel mid-dash with a Smash attack.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Sonic should have the flying kick from Lost World. The homing attack would be a lot faster and do more damage, whereas the kick would knock someone horizontally at a fixed distance.

Parkour would be interesting but I'm not sure how they'd implement it. Maybe make the peelout his side B?

The_Giant_Peach

Smash Apprentice
I think Sonic should closely resemble his older games which were in all honesty just about speed. Make sonic about speed. Make his attacks flow nicely and fast but bust out low damage. Sonic should have maybe one or two viable "strong" KO moves at his disposal. Both of which should interrupt the "flow" I was talking about.

A sonic with a constant stream of fast but weak attacks is a happy sonic.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like Sonic's current moveset. I personally like the idea of Sonic's moveset center around being fast,close up and annoying.

Changes I think should happen:

1)Like others said making his homing attack direct

2)After seeing Project M Sonic I think his Foward Aerial should be some form of kick move. Maybe based around the Sonic Lost World kick move.

3)His specials seem alright except for his Front and Down Special being the same in my opinion. Maybe combine them into one or just get rid of one of them.

4)If Sonic has his Front and Down Special merged or one of them gotten rid of then he will need a move to take the place. Maybe a projectile of some sort. I don't have many ideas but any move other than a second spin dash would be ok for me.

5)His double jump animations being changed to reflect Lost World. Standard double jump is a back flip and Spin Dash double jump is a jump similar to a "Olympic Long Jump"

6)Make his moves faster especially some of his grounded moves.

Durggggggg

Smash Rookie
NNID
Durggggggg
The homing attack should definitely be direct, but to ensure the balance of the attack, i think that it's accuracy should increase based on position, and maybe even how fast the player mashes the B button, like the Mario Tornado. Also, Sonic's side B definitely needs to be changed. Personally, i think that the Sonic Boost from Generations could be perfectly implemented as Sonic's new side B. If done in the air, it would make him helpless (which would further balance the attack), unless it is cancelled by an up B (Spring), or a midair jump. Sonic's run animation should be changed to that of Sonic Generations, and the spring which is used during Sonic's up B, should be changed to the modern spring (Although personally i favor the classic era springs). Sonic's should still be able to airdodge, walljump, and attack after performing his up B, but the vertical distance gained by the spring should be lowered in the air, and increased on the ground (Sonic would also do a frontflip during the opening frames of a ground spring, just to implement something from the older Sonic games). If Sonic is punished during the opening frames of his up B (aerial or not), he should not be able to use the spring as a recovery option again until landing on the ground. However, Sonic can still recover by walljumping, footstooling, and by using the homing attack. Sonic would also do the ring loss animation if he is punished during the early up B frames.

Last edited:

MasterWolf144

Smash Rookie
Sonic's up B should be him boosting and it can be directed in 8 ways (Only 5 on the ground). Side B should be Slide Kick or Somersault (Does Air Dash in air like in Sonic Rush). Down B should stay the same. Up Smash should be triple kick straight up. Side Smash should be charge kick (Like charging up the box kick in Sonic Colors). Down Smash should be Super Peel Out Spin (He revels up using Super Peel Out, puts his hand down, and spins doing damage with his feet). front air should be like Project M.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
For me I just want his Final Smash to stay Super Sonic, but adding the announcer's voice from Colors saying "SUPER SONIC!"

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
what about for his b across he shoots out his air slash kick from sonic lost world

infomon

Smash Scientist
I just wish everything he did wasn't *blue*. I want to see more colours.

Admittedly that's all Sonic is, blue blue blue. But in his games it's OK because he's surrouuuunded by lots of other colours.

I'm glad ssb4 seems brighter and more varied than Brawl, which I always thought looked colour-drab. And Sonic vs. Lucario, it's just blue vs. blue. And if it's Sonic + Lucario vs. a Blue team, oh boy.

That's why I want Sonic to have the Sonic2 fire/water/lightning shields.... add some diversity........

sadly he looks exactly the same as Brawl, at least for now. :o

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I was really happy with the way Sonic's moveset was designed in Brawl, so the only change I would make would be his Side-B/Special. Instead of having a different variant of the spin-dash, I'd like to see a "boost" similar to Fox's. Hate it or just are indifferent, the boost mechanic has been a staple of modern Sonic since Rush, so it would be nice to see another move that was familiar to the Sonic universe.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I can imagine sideb working as an Air Dash similar to Sonic Colors when you had no boost energy, while on the ground you do a short boost on the ground, but it has an energy limit, so when empty it's just sort of like a headbutt.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
What if you had a boost for side B, the boost has a meter like little mac's and you build it up by running, when you have no charge you can do a short air boost like in colours when you have no boost and at max meter you can go all the way across the stage and is more powerful, It could kill at high percents with high knockback giving sonic some ko ability

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
What if you had a boost for side B, the boost has a meter like little mac's and you build it up by running, when you have no charge you can do a short air boost like in colours when you have no boost and at max meter you can go all the way across the stage and is more powerful, It could kill at high percents with high knockback giving sonic some ko ability
Yeah, that sounds pretty good too. Think he should have buffs overall, just enough to KO people like normal.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Maybe give Sonic some of his shields. Ex. Fire, Bubble, magnetic. It might be a little much, but maybe you can give him a meter he has to fill up before use or something.
This is what I wanted.... soooooooo much...... sad that it will not happen :(

A sonic-3 sonic would have:
- down-B: spindash
- neutral-B: bubble shield
- side-B: fire shield
- up-B: lightning shield

I would main that in a heartbeat.

But I concede the need for homing-attack to be more like newer sonic games :( And up-B spring is pretty reasonable too.

That basically leaves us with side-B = fire shield would be nice. And if they really wanted, down-air = bubble shield but that is probably too cool for a down-air.

heck even if dash-attack was the fire shield (is that like Kirby?) that would be OK. At least give us a bit of colour and moveset diversity!

infomon

Smash Scientist
wait holy crap, sonic's double-jump should obviously be lightning-shield. Then we can still have spring as up-B. That is a sonic-3 sonic.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I feel like one of Sonic's custom Special moves for Homing Attack is Blast Attack for Side B and Down B Their is not much it customize the Side B and Down B besides making it faster

infomon

Smash Scientist
Probably it will be something stupid like "normal homing attack" vs. "fire homing attack" vs. "electric homing attack" lol. I mean, Mario has 3 different fireballs, and DK has a "donkey punch with wind effect". So I bet most custom-specials will be similarly uninspired. (But still totally awesome -- I looove that there are custom specials -- so whatevs!)

Edit: wow am I mr grumpy today or what :D

Last edited:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
The prospect of customisable moves is super exciting but I do hope they're just more than 'spindash with sparkles' and 'spindash without sparkles'. There are so many other moves from Sonic games that could be used instead (Sonic Wind or Light Speed Attack anyone?).

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
i want the blue tornado form sonic heroes and the bounce attach from sonic 2 battle and 06 is where i say it's most iconic

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'd like a Sonic moveset that actually represents Sonic, not just Classic Sonic :I

Neutral B: Homing Attack
- The attack comes out faster.
- Whenever he locks onto someone, a reticle will appear over them and a 'beep' sound will play, like Sonic Generations/Unleashed's homing attack, he'll also make the Sonic Adventure 1 pose he makes on Project M when it connects.

Side B: Lightspeed Dash
- Sonic tosses a string of rings right in front of him and then proceeds to dash along them, the attack working like Fox's SideB.
- When done on the air, Sonic won't keep falling, he'll dash along the rings on the path he created.
- You can angle the ring-toss segment to make the attack go diagonally.

Down B: Spindash
- Same as Project M.

Up B: Spring
- Same as Brawl

A+B: Activate Sonic Boost
- Works similarily to Lucario's Aura system on Project M, Sonic's boost meter building up as he lands hits succesfully, once the meter's full, Sonic can activate the Sonic Boost and he'll start draining the boost bar, becoming a moving hitbox when he sprints, with his attacks coming out faster and slightly stronger until the boost runs out.

Top Bottom