• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Matchup Spread Speculation

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Sonic wins, heavily.
Can you elaborate on this? Why does he win heavily? Can you point me to any videos including a good Roy vs. a good Sonic? Sorry to be greedy. I just really want to learn this MU.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
MWEX MWEX Explanation?

I'd think gimps are pretty easy since Sonic can reach Roy from anywhere offstage and springs are god for stopping upB like it is against Marth. Also, as soon as Roy dtilts/ftilts/fsmashes we should be able to punish the whiff. Also, whiffed shffls are punishable on landing. Somersault should be good for setting up quick gimps with the baseball slide and jc grab on DI in leads into throws offstage or uthrow (-> uair, dair, nair, bair), although other follow-ups off of somersault include nair, reverse hitbox bair, and BA (blast attack) -> fair. Dsmash should be good as well to cover tech options (i.e. dthrow near ledge it can cover all options) and it comes out quickly so it can catch poor DI. Basic Sonic stuff really.

Larger stages would be in Sonic's favour in the MU because it allows him to live longer against bair and fsmash, and not changing his game plan (knocking Roy offstage), while also giving Sonic lots of room to find his space, and dash back -> dash in to punish whiffed moves.

Just my thoughts. Doesn't cover Roy's end of the MU, and it's a little simplistic.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
MWEX MWEX Explanation?

I'd think gimps are pretty easy since Sonic can reach Roy from anywhere offstage and springs are god for stopping upB like it is against Marth. Also, as soon as Roy dtilts/ftilts/fsmashes we should be able to punish the whiff. Also, whiffed shffls are punishable on landing. Somersault should be good for setting up quick gimps with the baseball slide and jc grab on DI in leads into throws offstage or uthrow (-> uair, dair, nair, bair), although other follow-ups off of somersault include nair, reverse hitbox bair, and BA (blast attack) -> fair. Dsmash should be good as well to cover tech options (i.e. dthrow near ledge it can cover all options) and it comes out quickly so it can catch poor DI. Basic Sonic stuff really.

Larger stages would be in Sonic's favour in the MU because it allows him to live longer against bair and fsmash, and not changing his game plan (knocking Roy offstage), while also giving Sonic lots of room to find his space, and dash back -> dash in to punish whiffed moves.

Just my thoughts. Doesn't cover Roy's end of the MU, and it's a little simplistic.
Interesting. I didn't know that anybody had the mobility to properly punish whiffed dtilt. Thanks for the write-up. So I'm guessing the general gameplan for Sonic is to not get cornered and play a bait-oriented style, looking to push the Roy offstage for bread-and-butter gimps.

Last edited:

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
Interesting. I didn't know that anybody had the mobility to properly punish whiffed dtilt. Thanks for the write-up. So I'm guessing the general gameplan for Sonic is to not get cornered and play a bait-oriented style, looking to push the Roy offstage for bread-and-butter gimps.
In short, how does Falcon handle the Swordies match up?
Sonic does it the same way.

Top Bottom