• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic help

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
It's probably no surprise that most casual gamers hate either MK or Sonic, the former for a good reason, the latter because he's uber-fast and they suck at him (and his FS).

I can't unlock my potential as a Sonic player if I play against those people, so I ask you, Sonic veterans of SmashBoards, could you help me better myself as a Sonic player?

tl;dr I want to know how to become a Sonic pro and what I should learn like general techniques, combos, etc.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Well you could ask questions here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201103 (this is where you should've started at)

or take a look at the guide, it's not done yet but it has some frame data in there if you want to take a look at that.

for some advance techniques you could check up some guides on youtube as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMRTsGfy0c here's one that I learned the basics from

but just so you know, you really have to put in some work to get good with sonic. all of his little gimmicks don't work forever so you need to play well too, which takes a poop load of practice for sonic. you need learn how to space your moves and create your own style too btw

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Well...im not on the boat of hating mk nor sonic! :D

it takes time. like soupa said, make up some of your own gimmicks and traps, but be sure to be innovative during that time because the same thing will not always work. And these little gimmicks arent even always guaranteed. Predictability = death.

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice. What I'm getting is:

Create my own style rather than fall back on the tried and true.
Learn to be unpredictable.

What I don't understand is spacing my moves. What?

Trillion

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice. What I'm getting is:

Create my own style rather than fall back on the tried and true.
Learn to be unpredictable.

What I don't understand is spacing my moves. What?
Well having your own style doesn't necessarily mean not falling back on the tried and true. You should certainly implement tactics that have been successful for others in the past. The idea is more that you should have your own ways of setting up and utilizing these things.

Spacing refers to the position of your own body and hitboxs relative to those of you opponent when you are attacking. For example, you will hear much talk about spacing back airs. Back air is one of Sonic's best moves. It has great horizontal range and the hitbox extends far enough past the end of Sonic's foot that we can actually hit MK out of his tornado without getting ourselves hit if we are positioned correctly. This video should help give you an idea of how far Sonic's attacks reach which will help you to see how you can space your attacks.

Sonic Hitboxes

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
Ah, much better.

I'll try out some of these tactics and get started on forming my own style. Is Wi-Fi an OK substitute for not being able to play with people offline?

Trillion

Smash Ace
Ah, much better.

I'll try out some of these tactics and get started on forming my own style. Is Wi-Fi an OK substitute for not being able to play with people offline?
Anything is better than nothing. And, if I recall correctly, X was primarily a wifi player before he started hitting up big tournaments and he's one of the best (top 2?) Sonics out there.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh sweet God almighty no.

Playing Sonic dittos are not going to teach you anything aside from how the plat that one specific matchup, and the other Sonic players habit.

If you really wish to learn, just take a look at the Winning Steak Cinemas. Watch some videos of other Sonics, and pay attention to what their habits are, as well as their opponents'. Ask "How" then "why," as in "how did he get that hard read?" followed by "why did he go for this action at that particular moment?" None of us are perfect, but the best way to learn is to see what works for others, and make it into your own thing that can work for you. The more innovative and creative, the more success you will see in your matches.

It works the other way too. We win some we lose some. There are things to learn from victories and losses. Most of the time it ends to be a misinput on the Sonic players' parts, or failure to use the most efficient punish, or get the opportunities in the first place; most likely from predictability.

:093:

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Well playing other characters over wifi will help you get the idea on most matchups, you'll learn more things about the other characters. Their strengths, weaknesses, how you can shut them down or how they can shut you down. Just keep in mind some people play different on wifi than online, different things are gonna work just because of the lag

Top Bottom