• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic got buffed in the DHD matchup

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
  • Homing Attack no longer targets objects like Duck Hunt's explosive can or Luma
pack it up. a 9-1 matchup just lost something that actually gave DHD something to work with.

on the topic of sonic, who should we switch to in able to beat him?

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Aside from ditto-ing :4sonic: ourselves, there's :4bowserjr:, whose (shorthop) Side B Jump Cancels can be a makeshift Spin Dash, allowing him to punish any openings he's in position to ram into for good damage, and at around 100-ish, he can even KO off of Side B JCs w/ Up B --> A (Hammer). Throw in 1 UAir before going to Up B if you're going to try it at 75-ish%. Mechakoopas and DTilt can also mess with him when he's stuck Spin Dashing. Jr's numerous disjoints also let him challenge many of Sonic's moves, especially his aerials. Jr's also heavier than both DH & Sonic, which lets him stick around longer than DH, and Jr's recovery is definitely better than DH's, especially if Side B JCs are used, allowing him to stand a better chance at surviving Sonic's GDLK edgeguards (SPRING!) than some other characters.

There's also :4yoshi:, :rosalina:, :4falcon:, and other high-speed high tiers if you feel like "selling out" and handling the flak you'll get for doing so.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Aside from ditto-ing :4sonic: ourselves, there's :4bowserjr:, whose (shorthop) Side B Jump Cancels can be a makeshift Spin Dash, allowing him to punish any openings he's in position to ram into for good damage, and at around 100-ish, he can even KO off of Side B JCs w/ Up B --> A (Hammer). Throw in 1 UAir before going to Up B if you're going to try it at 75-ish%. Mechakoopas and DTilt can also mess with him when he's stuck Spin Dashing. Jr's numerous disjoints also let him challenge many of Sonic's moves, especially his aerials. Jr's also heavier than both DH & Sonic, which lets him stick around longer than DH, and Jr's recovery is definitely better than DH's, especially if Side B JCs are used, allowing him to stand a better chance at surviving Sonic's GDLK edgeguards (SPRING!) than some other characters.

There's also :4yoshi:, :rosalina:, :4falcon:, and other high-speed high tiers if you feel like "selling out" and handling the flak you'll get for doing so.
anyone that plays sonic deserves whats coming to em ( except falcon, I have too much respect to stoop to that level. )

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My god... it's like the developers want DHD to suck...

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I'm not a Duck Hunt main, but I just came here out of curiosity, so I apologize if I say anything dumb.

Whoa, is the Sonic matchup really that bad for you guys? I guess DHD is generally kind of campy given their moveset, and Sonic being fast doesn't help in that case, but is it really near-unwinnable?
I don't know if it helps, but Sonic got a number of nerfs as well, the last time I checked. It seems to me that he got hit harder than most others in this patch.

If there are two of these Spoilers, check the bottom one. Something goofed, I guess.
The Sonic boards said:

• Damage nerfs:
      • SDR (charged): 10% → 7%
      • SDJ/VSDJ/ISDJ: 6% → 3%
      • ASDR: 11% → 7%
      • SCR (occasional charged hit): 3% → 2%
      • VSCJ: 6% → 3%
      • Almost instant SCJ's damage is still 6%. Apparently, a low velocity SCJ becomes a VSDJ for some unknown reason;
    • Knockback nerfs:
      • Bthrow;
      • Utilt2 (lol);
      • Dair spike;
    • ASDR and ASC are now single hit moves;
    • BSD no longer has invincibility frames; (no longer avoids trip tree, needles, etc.)

SDR.....Spin Dash Roll
SDJ.....Spin Dash Jump
VSDJ....Vertical Spin Dash Jump (done in place)
ISDJ....Instant Spin Dash Jump (after executing Spin Dash while running)
ASDR....Aerial Spin Dash Roll (Spin Dash, just airborne)
SCR.....Spin Charge Roll
VSCJ....Vertical Spin Charge Jump
SCJ.....Spin Charge Jump (same as VSCJ, I think?)
ASC.....Aerial Spin Charge (Down-B in mid-air)
BSD.....(something to do with the spring, I think? Not entirely sure...)

So I'm just curious, but does that one thing really make Sonic worse overall, even with his nerfs?

Zegend

Smash Cadet
SDR.....Spin Dash Roll
SDJ.....Spin Dash Jump
VSDJ....Vertical Spin Dash Jump (done in place)
ISDJ....Instant Spin Dash Jump (after executing Spin Dash while running)
ASDR....Aerial Spin Dash Roll (Spin Dash, just airborne)
SCR.....Spin Charge Roll
VSCJ....Vertical Spin Charge Jump
SCJ.....Spin Charge Jump (same as VSCJ, I think?)
ASC.....Aerial Spin Charge (Down-B in mid-air)
BSD.....(something to do with the spring, I think? Not entirely sure...)
what a mess

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not a Duck Hunt main, but I just came here out of curiosity, so I apologize if I say anything dumb.

Whoa, is the Sonic matchup really that bad for you guys? I guess DHD is generally kind of campy given their moveset, and Sonic being fast doesn't help in that case, but is it really near-unwinnable?
I don't know if it helps, but Sonic got a number of nerfs as well, the last time I checked. It seems to me that he got hit harder than most others in this patch.
Near unwinnable? Well, it feels like it.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283

So I'm just curious, but does that one thing really make Sonic worse overall, even with his nerfs?
Sonic's spindash (their favorite move to use) just plows through all of DH's projectiles.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Yes, it's nearly unwinnable because while DHD barely has the tools to zone out sonic (if he's playing absolutely perfectly) he still can't kill him unless the sonic makes an absurd mistake, and sonic can punish pretty much every failed kill attempt with big damage or kills of his own.

See the MVD vs 6wx apex match for reference, MVD got a huge lead, but ended up getting 2 stocked because he simply can't kill 6wx. The reason is DHD needs either to force an approach, or go in himself to get a kill. But the approaches sonic does aren't ones dhd can kill off of, and you can't camp sonic hard at all because he can just wait and spindash through all your stuff if you commit too heavily to stage control.

If customs are on, it isn't a big deal. Zigzag lets us both camp and kill him, but default is simply awful. Honestly, every DHD should have a sheik just for that matchup. (Also sheik is good on stages DHD isn't, and dhd has good matchups against floaties like jiggly, kirby, etc. Who sheik struggles with. Mario still sucks though)

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Assuming I put in the time will a Wario against Sonic suffice? I heard he had a decent MU and I don't want to work on a Sheik.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
I actually second Pac-man. His trampoline setups do fantastic against the spin dash, and I managed to beat one of my other really good friends with him when i never could with my DH. Plus, the projectiles can seem similar enough to DH to be effective.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Pocketing a Wario myself for the matchup, but Duck Hunt vs Sonic is THE hardest mu for DH. Everyone else matches up well

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Dedede is my secondary, which is probably not a character against Sonic, but I don't really want to pick up Sheik just for one match-up...

Brood showed me that it's not hopeless, I just gotta work on movement more.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Sheik is also better against falcon, fox, rosalina... And on the duck hunt and delfino stage for most matchups.

Also broods most recent loss was to sonic...

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Ah, Dangit. I had no idea. That was my TRUMP card...

(rats)

-
I just find Sheik kinda dull to play as. Probably due to the plethora of Sheiks in my scene.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
My god... it's like the developers want DHD to suck...
Given the additional nerfs from 1.1.0, that seems to be the case.

Probably because they're all too busy playing Shulk (the only guy who can cover one third of an omega stage in a single hit).

Top Bottom