• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Footsies : What is optimal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

I had a few Sonic dittos with Craftis (shout out for teaching and helping me learn some things), and I found that my footsie game needs ultimate work! It would seem that players who know Sonic well really do have a sort of innate ability to confuse you and catch you off-guard because of how they move before they've even touched you. That includes running back and forth, or sheild canceling lots of spin charges, and so on.

So I'm asking, what is your footsie game? What do you do in the neutral game before attacking your opponent to look for openings? This meant to not only help me but others who are still trying to gain control of Sonic's speed and use it to their advantage on the field? What are your favorite ways to confuse your opponent?

I found that as a newbie, it was easy to rely on spinning a lot, which is the stereotype for new Sonic players, but once you face better players this begins to both fail you, and get you punished over and over.

So, experienced Sonic mains, what do you find to be the most optimal way to go for pokes or hit confirms? How do you footsie?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's hard to explain, as I feel it varies from player-to-player and it can be match-up dependent but...

- Run around, outside their range.
It looks like you're approaching, but really you're just hanging out in front of them, outside of their range. Obviously doesn't work as well against characters with projectiles, but definitely will make other people want to react to you running at them, just to turn around and do it again. Makes them question your movement, especially if you typically just run straight at them all the time or just do blind spindashes at their shield.

- Foxtrot, Pivots, and Side-B cancels.
They work well together. Especially foxtrotting into Side-B cancels. Makes Sonic really safe as people think they might be able to catch you mid-charge or trot, just for them to eat a shield grab.

I usually like to switch between overly committing, or not capitalizing at all, just to really make it confusing for them to get a sense of what moves they think are safe to spam or use to keep away. Sonic has a lot of tools that allow him to not have to commit to approaches and condition opponents the way you want them to think.

With Sonic's homing attack buffs, I've had great success with spindashing and jumping before reaching them, having them try to tilt me or something, then I homing attack them. Works also if I do hit shield with spindash, then just spindash jump and homing attack. Homing attack is great even without spindash, as you can stop all air momentum, then get right in their face. So if you jump towards them, baiting a response, right as they're about to respond you homing attack outside their range, homing attack will come out as they're in cooldown.

Also when I punish, I like to go for grabs a lot, as Sonic's grab range has improved (yay!) and I feel people get the most frustrated when Sonic is running around safely and tossing them around.

I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing but... Tried to cover what first came to mind. Hope this helps.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You described spacing and the neutral game, Cama.

I avoid my footsie game because Sonic in Brawl had terrible cqc. None of his tilts chain into anything else guaranteed, and they're all mostly used to create room between the two of you. Moreso now that dtilt doesn't pop up anymore.

If you HAVE to footsie, I'd suggest just ftilting. If there's enough space between you and your opponent, run away and reset to neutral. It's more advantageous for Sonic to be constantly moving than to have him forced to commit a close ranges.

Instant dash attack or sideBing through their option is another goodie. Springing away also helps, but puts you in a bad spot. :applejack:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Plus he has two grabs that kill at decent percentages.. Love me some grabs. Pivot ftilt is fun as well.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Correct. Which pertains, as you said yourself, Sonic doesn't have a lot of traditional means of "footsies". The question was in regards to opening up your opponent. I answered that.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I must've missed that in the title. :applejack:
Or in the thread.

"What do you do in the neutral game before attacking your opponent to look for openings?"

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I generally go for fake outs and punishes. Just run around a bit. I think Sonic is better at reacting to opponents then opening them up. Let them make the mistake and capitalize.

I guess making them uneasy and confused opens them up. Psych them out. People feel helpless to a good Sonic conditioning.

Ftilt and his jab combo are best for close and mid range. Short hop>uair>fast fall is good, no landing lag. Grab.

Last edited:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
its just fun to charge, and keep charging side B's, and see how they react. After a few times, you should see how they set up their defensive game. If they're shielding a lot, cancels into grabs are the way forward, or SH nairs or anything thats safe on a shield. If they're jumping and/or airdodging, spinshot or VSDJ. If theyre panicking and throwing out attacks, cancel and punish. Obviously characters with a projectile game are a totally different kettle of steak.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Never EVER spin dash at a veteran Sonic player. You'll get punished 100% of the time.

Glitchin

Smash Rookie
Never EVER spin dash at a veteran Sonic player. You'll get punished 100% of the time.
This. It almost worries me that I know how to punish a spindash so bad because I know that if I faced a person who can punish it as bad as I can without sonic, I'd have a major problem.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm really good at the Sonic match-up.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace