• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic fighting weights and projectiles *Updated*

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
OKAY, I think its time to discuss ways of dealing with different weight classes. These are just notes about general tactics regarding weight class, nothing specific. (This is talking about sonics ability to deal with characters weight, not specific characters. If this thread becomes popular and a lot of information can be added then I'll update or ask for a copy / paste into another stickied thread for space)

Heavys:
-----Sonic's stregnths are in fighting the fattys. He can combo easy, his speed beats out thier power, and his slow air speed makes air battle a hell of a lot easier. A good technique to use is the dub fair combo (where you fair your opponent until you push them off the stage), and the infamous spindash combo. Their huge size makes really easy to connect with everything and makes his small hitboxes almost look huge. Distance is key in these matches, just keeping away far enough so they can't hit you. If you can control your opponents position then you have the match. Usually heavys have a good range (Dedede, Ike, Dk) when
attacking, and sonic is fast enough to punish them during their lag time. A good way to look at a way of fighting these dudes are the combo and run. Spindash into a combo until you lose it then book to the other side of the stage and try it agian. Mindgames arn't such a big deal in these kidns of matches, but its always funny messing with people and keeps your game sharp so do them anyway.
(Bowser, Ganon, Dk, Charizard, King Dedede, {Ike?})

Mid-Heavy:
-----This is almost the same as above with a few slight differences. The mid heavys are a smige faster, but not as strong. One thing to keep your eye out for is how your landing your attacks. IMO these characters are some of the hardest you will face, because they have just enough of a combonation of speed and power to punish you for any mistake you make. KEY MOVES TO WATCH LAG - use your dair only when you can cancel your downward momentum or if your high enough in the air to land with no lag. Also, for a general note, sonis as no lag on every one of his air moves if you finish the hitbox animation. With that, try and keep them in the air as much as possible.
(Wario, Snake, Lucario, Samus, Wolf, *Captain Falcon, Ivysaur, R.O.B., {Ike?})
*Hes fast, so... watch out?

Mid
-----This is where combos start to get tricky and mindgames and "finishers" become more important. With the heavyer characters, you could use a hit and run attack method and have no issue with your enemy chasing you, but these characters are starting to catch up. When I face charaters like this, I like to hang out on the edge and let them come to me. If you go chase them down, your only destined to fail. Yeah, spin dashing has invincibiliy frames, w0o0o0o, but all they have to do is tap you once and then smash you. There is NO WAY you will be able to recover after a complete stop fast enough for a safe recovery after a complete stop. This is where your Nair becomes an acual technique. Once they come to you, SHNair is a great way to deal with their approach. You have minimal lag (none of you do it right) upon landing, and you can Dsmash, Up tilt, etc from there. The fair combo works great here, but is harder to keep your opponent with you along the way. have patience in the air and watch your opponents air dodging. Also take advantage of sonics throws. The lighter the character gets, the more important his throws and ground speed come into play.
(Mario, Luigi, Peach, Fox, Falco, Yoshi, Zelda, Marth, Ness, Link, Sonic, Sheik)

Mid Light
-----Mindgames, oh the mindgames. Using your groud speed, mind games, timing, and edge guarding are so key. As thing characters get lighter, the more on the groud you should stay. Generally, lighter characters are smaller so they are harder to hit. Its almost not even about how much damage you have on them, you just need to make sure you can connect when you attack. Once you have them of the edge, you need to have a good edgegaurd plan, because this is going to be the best time for a KO. Use your back throw to get them off the stage, and Bair or fair (which every is easyer, but try and bair, it makes getting back to the edge easier). Get back on the edge and finish them off like that. I have gotten really good with footstool jumping to spring jump, and dair back onto the stage, and it works great. Footstool jumps affects lighter characters more than heavy ones, which is something to keep in mind. As far as getting characters to a percentage thats KO able, keep your distance. If you MUST approach, USE YOUR DOWN B TO APPROACH. yes, not side b, but down b. A charged down b is faster than a charged side b. If you miss a combo chance (which you will, a lot) then you'll be going to fast for them to react. Getting the timing doesn't take much practice, and its a lot more effective in my opinon when approaching. you opponent is like WTF ALSDKFJKADSFJ speedddddddddd.
(Diddy, Pit, Ice Climbers, Olimar, Lucas, Game & Watch, Toon Link, Meta Kight, Kirby)

Light

-----This is our hardest match. i really havent figured out how to fight them well, but I can say a couple things. First off, eff jigglypuff. second, dont spam your spin dash, this is a common misconception that i see sonic plays do. Spin dash after spin dash after spin dash. Thats not going to do anything. Your not going to be able to combo them because they are too light, thell fall out on SD contact. This a good oppertunity to really get in your opponents faces, and be the powerhouse of the match. Just try and keep them on the ground as long as possible.
(Jigs, Pikachu)

PROJECTILES
(Toon Link, Link, Pit, Shiek, Fox, Falco, Mario, Samus, Snake, G&W, Peach, Ice Climbers, Dedede, Olimar, Pikachu, Lucario)
(not so much characters: Wolf, Charizard, Bowser, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Diddy, Luigi, Ness, Lucas, R.O.B.)

The key to dealing with projectiles is placement. Not "distance" persay, but your placement compared to your opponent. As a overall note, haveing your opponent above you is the best situation for sonic.

Versus Link / Toon Link - This will be the hardest projectile character that you face. Your placement is key during all points of the match. The links have a very versitile projectile arsenal, so being able to perdict their actions is always a good thing. You also need a lot of patience. Wait for movment lag and strike. I personally like to hang on the edge a lot during these matches, so i don't have to worry about crap getting chucked at me. You should also, under all circumstances, never let a link above you. Sonic gets wrecked by bomb/dair combo. Chilln under platforms is a good idea.

Fox / Falco / Wolf - Stay out of line with their lasers. The real big worry is Falco, because he has the most rapid stun laser. usuing your homing attack is good, but when you use it make sure it will hit. Falco has terrible recovery, so your backthrow during near edge situations is win. With fox you can take some damage from his lasers but plow right through the laser spam to attack. You really need to be careful while fighting fox in the air because he will destory you if you try to out do him. just odn't go looking for a arial battle. Wolf's laser will barely be used, but when it is its purpose if for stoping you. You shouldn't have an issue if you spindash approach, and you dont have to worry to much about his illusion because it places him exactly where you want him (above you). His laser also have the worst range of the three. Dont try and do face to face combat with any of these characters. Just keep your distance and catch them in their mistakes. if the stage you play on has platforms, stay on another level and spindash to them to attack. you can always drop down or SD jump up to them.

Pit - Pit is an tough one. His arrows are really hard to deal with. I often like to stay "behind" him as much as possible. his nanananana attack is really annoying too, so if you just try and stay directly behind him then you should avoid all his annoying moves. anothing thing to not is that sonics Uair works really well agians him, so when SDComing go for the Uiar. The fair combos works fairly well too. (lol fair fairly well)

------ more updates later

comments? additions? if i mixed anything up let me know, i wanna keep this updated because this has huge factors for sonics gameplay.

Shoop70

Smash Apprentice
Awesome post. Also, I've been playing against my friend who mains PT and I think its worth noting, that though heavy characters are easy to combo, they have much higher priority and reach (though you did mention keeping distance) than Sonic's (in my case, my friend's Charizard). Squirtle's Withdraw beats out sideB and downB, just like Jiggs and is remarkably fast if you can use him right, so I personally consider him a threat as well. I haven't really gotten a chance to fight against any good Jiggs players...so I haven't really experienced just how nasty she is with Sonic.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well... to fight light characters it really limits sonic because most of his moves wont take priority, and the light enemies can close ot match ur speed, and also they have no delay.... so really u have to play a lot meaner.

Spin dashing alone will never bring home a game, but honestly atleast for starting the htis off and getting them into a dazed "oh-crap-im-getting-mauled" state, starting with a spin dash is really one of sonics best options.

and if u do the 3 hit SD combo, you CAN hit light characters with all the hits, but you have to do it right. and its different every time depending on their damage.

but still there is other options, homing attck works well. I'd wager grabs would be great.. possible just some sheilds and hyphen smashing would be easier to execute... down smashing would definately go over good in this type of match.(for killing alteast)

Dair as well would go well here as long as ur sure not to miss, or atleast not get caught in the lag.

i think most importantly, as with any match: what your opponent is doing, should determine what you are doing. especially with sonic, you have to know which moves to use or else their moves will likely smash you to oblivion with priority.

i think moreso than with heavy characters, i would play a spacing/countering game. with occaisional suprise attacks.. because it is possible for sonic to space-game anyone, but he doesent needd to do it to heavies so much because there are so many openings on their slow attacks.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
well... to fight light characters it really limits sonic because most of his moves wont take priority, and the light enemies can close ot match ur speed
Blasphemy. NO ONE is close to Sonic's speed. EVER!

Also, **** it. Am I the only Sonic on earth who has trouble with Wolf?

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Blasphemy. NO ONE is close to Sonic's speed. EVER!

Also, **** it. Am I the only Sonic on earth who has trouble with Wolf?
i meant that light characters are generally faster, getting close your speed. make sence? and no, wolf gave me some troulble at first, then i realized that wolf blows wang and stepped it up. Wen you fight wolf a good tactic to use is the spring dair to down smash. generally, you should keep your distance from him though.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
meh wolf has many weaknesses to exploit.

its pretty easy to attack him form the skys, and once he is there its easy to keep him there.

i think spin dash would be as effective as eve ron him...

and also his poor recovery...

sonic can get him. even with his *lack of killing moves* lawl.

Dacman

Smash Rookie
I dont understand y everyones complaining about lack of killing moves.
I think sonic does fine just racking up damage and gimping, and he CAN kill with some of his aerials (BAIR).

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I just need to figure out how to block his attacks. I haven't played him enough. Sometimes I shield for 1 attack when 2 are coming. Like his f-smash. Sometimes I shield for 2 when 1 is coming and I get grabbed. Sometimes I don't shield at all and get camped then D-smashed on most of my approaches. I'm getting used to it but **** it was annoying at first.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
I dont understand y everyones complaining about lack of killing moves.
I think sonic does fine just racking up damage and gimping, and he CAN kill with some of his aerials (BAIR).
THANK YOU!!!

as for the wolf vs sonic thing.. i suggest that you play as WOLF for a few rounds, that will help u understand where his lag spots and weaknesses are ebtter than anything.. (he is really nothign like fox or falco)

then when u go back to sonic, ull know ur openings.... honestly vs wolf i found it easy to just punish him to hell without ever having to take hits.

over course some evades were in there, maybe a couple sheilds for wolfs Fsmash... but really i think the way to win is exploit his awkward jerky-ness.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
THANK YOU!!!

as for the wolf vs sonic thing.. i suggest that you play as WOLF for a few rounds, that will help u understand where his lag spots and weaknesses are ebtter than anything.. (he is really nothign like fox or falco)
I did. He's not as omnipotent as he appeared.

And don't get me started on the Fox, Falco and Wolf thing. I'm considering Falco my second for now and anyone who says those three are identical or even similar are freaking ********.

Hooray for political incorrectness.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i fought a decent pit once, and i found that to avoid arrows spindash worked well because they have to slam it down right on you or else it flies over. Sd was also a good approach as pit doesent have much to stop it. usually staying close to him for too long is a bad idea tho because those smashes are nasty. in a smash battle i would recomend hands down using the D smash to get him off the ground and get him away.

the Dair actually works ok against him too because it beats the priority fo his U smash. i the general stratagy is, strike between his attacks because it is hard for sonic to get through most of them, but they have a good amount of time between them.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i fought a jigs, maybe not a good one... but i didnt have to much trouble beating the crap out of it actually.

is jig's spin attack the main thing that pwnz sonic? because my opponent didnt use it at all.

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
Adding to R4ZE's pit strategies, whough Sonic's dair beats Pit's usmash, it does not beat Pit's uair, and that is very important to remember.

I also use spindashing to avoid Pit's arrows on a level plain, and only if I see them going for another arrow do I release the dash to approach for an attack.

Also, if you see Pit trying to come back to the stage with his up-B, especially from the bottom, please run off the side and hit him with a spring to make him feel stupid.

J18

Smash Journeyman
good god i hate pit so much. it's really just his arrows and his sideb.
a level 9 cpu is ungodly with pit's arrows. UNGODLY I TELL YOU. inhumanely(duh) good.

Top Bottom