• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic doesn't get KOs in group battles

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
I do fine in 1v1 but in group battles sonic always just racks up damage so that other players can get the KOs. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Beak

Smash Rookie
Yeah I've run into that.

People can leave the room with the Wavebird and do smash-a for five minutes as Ike and come back in at least 2nd place.

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
yeah ik what ya mean, i was doing some groupies last nite and it just didnt end up well. it just seems like sonic doesnt have the time to set up his comboes for kills cause other ppl jump in and just steal the kill. its especially difficult if a snake is in the match. its hard enough to watch out for snakes mines and c4 let alone 1 or 2 more chars. sonic just doesnt cut it as a ffa char.

samper

Smash Cadet
Well, instead of trying to get KOs only to have someone steal them, why not let others try to get KOs and then steal theirs? If anyone goes off the level, start harassing their attempts to get back (I think gimping is the technical term for that), or harp on the wounded and distracted by sneaking in one of Sonic's decent knock back attacks while they're not looking or are already near death. This is all assuming you play without items of course, with items on Sonic's low power/knock back isn't an issue as chunking a bat at someone's face is just as effective as any smash attack, never mind his final smash.

As a side note, if you all individually pick stages instead of selecting random, try to stick to levels with walk off boundaries (like the Mario Kart stage) or levels with low ceilings like the Melee Star Fox level (I think its called Corneria) as those levels don't require a lot of knock back or really high percents to get KOs most of the time.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Samper's got a point. We all gotta become pros at gimping. however, plenty of other characters are just as good at gimping as sonic and hit harder, not to mention that some chars such as Jiggly, Peach or ROB are really frigging hard to gimp.

I run into this problem with Metaknight too, but not as badly. As Sonic you need to keep dancing with your opponents until you get their damage up really high. but by the time you get their damage high enough to just get them off the stage other characters are slamming them into kingdom come.

I can't just pick stages I know I can beat them on, that's unfair. We play on final destination most of the time anyway.

SonicMario

Smash Master
That's only if your doing Timed matches anyway. Stock matches would help with alot of that.

I mean, you just have to survive to win a Stock Match.

J18

Smash Journeyman
pretty much yeah. in fact, in group battles, it doesn't even go that far as to say that sonic does the damage racking. plainly, he just isn't that good.
no disrespect to sonic though i love him and he's my main and i'm trying to get good, but he's just not good.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Well, even in stock battles (I'm good at staying alive. I'm always the one making people scream "hey sonic hasn't even died once yet! Get him!") and the end of the match people always end up comparing KOs, and whoever has the most KOs usually brags that they "should have won but the winner was being a pansy."

I can win with sonic easy in stock, I just hate getting to the end of the game and having like 2 KOs.

We will figure this out! SONIC WILL PREVAIL!

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
If you do stock you'll be fine though. Sonic has a knack for surviving longer than everyone else during free for alls if you are good with him.

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
All I could really say by now is to grab an opponent out his fight (bring him to you) and KO them one on one and repeat, however on smaller stages its always a blast to see others fight and come out nowhere with a dash attack and Dair move. (for me anyway)

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Gimping is ur best friend, i honestly don't have much problem in stock matches, getting the majority of the ko's even when there is an Ike in the mix. But the two minute time limit... without item can be a bit hit or miss it seems to me. Doing damage isn't that big a deal.. but sonic's lack of ko moves and needing precise hits in a ffa? Can be tough. Stealing a ko when they are not ko'd instantly is a breeze if ur decent at gimping. Run off, fair or bair, home attack, heck, even a well timed spring will do the trick. Just in the two minute matches you lack the "time" to set up a lot of those scenarios

Top Bottom