• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Custom Moves

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
So I'm curious as to what people think about Sonic's custom moves and which of them they find to be the most useful? Personally while I have tried all of them the only one I find to be remotely useful is the second side+b where he can ground you if you hit with it. All of his other custom moves at least to me don't as useful compared to just his default moves. I found that his number 3 down B seems to be more harmful than useful in my experience, I prefer the control you have over his regular down B compared to the second one, and as for his other side B and neutral B moves, the fire one ruins those chains to aerial combos out of your spin dashes even though it has more power, and I just don't see much use in the alt homing attacks.

Regardless I am still curious how everyone else feels about the moves if they have tried them, and which combination of his moves do you think is the most beneficial.

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
I've tested them a decent amount and have come to the personal conclusion that I will run:

I don't find any of the customs more useful than the defaults to be honest. The "auto" downB seems like a complete waste of a custom slot I must be missing something.

I could see some people running the fire sideB maybe because of the initial damage, the grounding sideB but I prefer the default one or double spring for different combos and horizontal recovery but I like the default one for faster followups at higher % and possible kills which I missed with double spring.

So yeah, I don't run any at all, I'd like to see what other people do.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
You know Double Spring, that one custom upB where sonic gets two springs instead of one?

Yeah don't use that one. Ever.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
SC2 is pretty good, actually. SD2 adds some interesting mechanics to some of our specials and may as well be used efficiently, too (go read this).

All of the other customs pretty much suck.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
SC2 is pretty good, actually. SD2 adds some interesting mechanics to some of our specials and may as well be used efficiently, too (go read this).

All of the other customs pretty much suck.
Whelp pretty much cemented what I thought. Literally the only useful custom move is the Side B 2. The rest of the customs just aren't as useful for Sonic in my mind lol. They could have provided some better options for custom moves honestly, but oh well I suppose.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Actually, if I recall, Sonic's "Auto Spin Charge"(Down B 2) actually does more damage than Sonic's default. The "Burning Spin Dash" affects the hop of the down B too for some stupid reason, making it pointless to me.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Actually, if I recall, Sonic's "Auto Spin Charge"(Down B 2) actually does more damage than Sonic's default. The "Burning Spin Dash" affects the hop of the down B too for some stupid reason, making it pointless to me.
Yeah that's why I don't like that one. If it only affected the side B I'd personally be fine with it.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just had that Burning Spin Dash pass right through Thoron today. Later testing showed that it passes through all unclankable projectiles such as Falco's lasers, Sheik's needles, etc. harmlessly.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Trent and I had an idea about double spring...

... Could you use it to gimp a villager from below?

one balloon = one spring

second balloon = another spring

gg

:093:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Trent and I had an idea about double spring...

... Could you use it to gimp a villager from below?

one balloon = one spring

second balloon = another spring

gg

:093:
I say: well, try it. It's not as simple as it sounds. IF the Springs didn't have to be out one at a time, then maybe we'd have a solid gimping option, but I'm afraid that's simply not the case here.

Just wondering, what do people think about up-b 3?
Cuts your option to chase aerial opponents to attack; in order to reach max height you'll need to use it close to your enemy, which is applicable on around not-good-enough% of the time when you actually need that extra height; damage done by the headbutt is negligible; the Spring doesn't stick around when used on the ground.

TL;DR: it's terrible.

Top Bottom