• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Somewhat 'cool' yet kinda useless tech...

Has potential in the Zolrdo meta?

• Total voters

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Wait for it.... o_o"
0:14 Dash grab combo

0:28 FaroresWind

0:38 Dtilt derp

0:40 derp grab.

Okay here's something thats been known since around 1.0.4 that if you land a certain* aerial move a frame before you land, it Cancles the landing animation...(well in Zelda's case just decreases, but by a huge amount of course.)

Basically just as Zelda reaches the apex of a Short Hop, Fast Fall and Fair at the same time and it eventually happens, and your landing lag is cancelled.

From what i can discern with what i have, Her Short hop lasts 29-30 frames before you can FF, But when i land this 'tech' my Fast Fall start as early as 22 and 27.

So i pretty confused (and inconfident) in my personal found frame data...or maybe this is just the occurance when Fast Fall is coupled with and move? I'll look into a certain theory...but...

Ughhh doesn't matter this tech sucks! It has absolutely NO TRUE COMBOS to follow up after 0%.... it just gets Zelda's cute butt up 16 frames faster. (so 7 frames endlag and faf instead of 23 endlag and 1,2457889 faf) lol Feel free to say im dumb and am smelly for showing something so lame. :p thanks <3 sorry for grammer

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Yeah, we played around with this a long time ago when it was discovered. I think we had been considering whether it's possible to frame cancel fair into a FW. We got it to happen but it wasn't guaranteed. But you're right, it does get her cute butt up faster which is useful in and of itself since one of our main problems is that we don't get our butts up fast enough. It's useful against shielding opponents especially because stuff like bair and fair actually become safe on shield.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Yeah, we played around with this a long time ago when it was discovered. I think we had been considering whether it's possible to frame cancel fair into a FW. We got it to happen but it wasn't guaranteed. But you're right, it does get her cute butt up faster which is useful in and of itself since one of our main problems is that we don't get our butts up fast enough. It's useful against shielding opponents especially because stuff like bair and fair actually become safe on shield.
Yeah i was sure someone out there tinkered with this. xD Its just yeah... not much to it, unfortunately. Sakurai made the move so laggy not even a bug/exploit would take it ALL away. Though i see This lag Cancle then FaroresWind ledge Cancleing to 'chase them' working well ,but ehhhh abit ridiculous xD . :( I could never manage to land the Bair Version though. Despite its uslessness. its Still addictive to land in all honesty. :3

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i was sure someone out there tinkered with this. xD Its just yeah... not much to it, unfortunately. Sakurai made the move so laggy not even a bug/exploit would take it ALL away. Though i see This lag Cancle then FaroresWind ledge Cancleing to 'chase them' working well ,but ehhhh abit ridiculous xD . :( I could never manage to land the Bair Version though. Despite its uslessness. its Still addictive to land in all honesty. :3
You know, I can actually see this being more useful as a frame trap than for comboing. Frame cancel the Fair into Dtilt on shield. I'm sure this has already been thought of, but that was the very first thing that came to mind when I seen it.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
You know, I can actually see this being more useful as a frame trap than for comboing. Frame cancel the Fair into Dtilt on shield. I'm sure this has already been thought of, but that was the very first thing that came to mind when I seen it.
That's one of the main uses of reducing landing lag on an aerial. Since it can be followed up quicker, another attack comes out quicker, and the opponent either gets hit for trying to punish a usually very punishable move or they expect it, shield it, and punish us which is why shield is another option. Since it's got so much landing lag normally, people will generally wanna follow up with a heavy punish like a fsmash which means we can shield it and answer with our own heavy punish.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Yes

This whole less lag thing is something to do with the hitstun overlapping with the landing lag

Or something like that
I see. I'm definitely gonna keep practicing and trying to get this down, because I can actually see this being a huge threat once it's mastered.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
haha oops i guess I didn't make that detail clear in OP 'xD But yeah its gotta hit. and also be Sweetspotted ( ; ̄O ̄) sorry bout that haha.
It's all good, man! I think what I'm doing wrong is Fairing and then FFing, instead of FFing then Fairing.

I'm also on the 3DS version, lol.

haha oops i guess I didn't make that detail clear in OP 'xD But yeah its gotta hit. and also be Sweetspotted ( ; ̄O ̄) sorry bout that haha.
When doing this, do you roll your thumbstick over and down, or down then over?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I had actually gotten in the habit of practicing landing with fair and bair like this under all circumstances. It's more difficult to get it when you're landing any other way other than SH FF'ing but it's worth trying to get that timing down anyway since the closer you are to the ground, even if you don't hit the 1 frame window to frame cancel it, the less overall lag you'll have on fair and bair. Since the endlag on both moves is horrendous, the closer you are to the ground such that the landing lag is the majority of the lag you'll get, you'll save frames and be vulnerable for a lower amount of time. This is a trick that all Zelda mains should be practicing even if they can't frame cancel consistently. It's a good skill to master.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
When doing this, do you roll your thumbstick over and down, or down then over?
hmm for the times I've landed it on 3ds it was rolling Circle pad from the Right to Down. Like a reverse hadoken.

But on wiiu its much simpler since you have Cstick to flick right simultaneously with Thumbstick down. ^_^"

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
hmm for the times I've landed it on 3ds it was rolling Circle pad from the Right to Down. Like a reverse hadoken.

But on wiiu its much simpler since you have Cstick to flick right simultaneously with Thumbstick down. ^_^"
Interesting. I find it damn near impossible to do right to down as opposed to down and right.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I had actually gotten in the habit of practicing landing with fair and bair like this under all circumstances. It's more difficult to get it when you're landing any other way other than SH FF'ing but it's worth trying to get that timing down anyway since the closer you are to the ground, even if you don't hit the 1 frame window to frame cancel it, the less overall lag you'll have on fair and bair. Since the endlag on both moves is horrendous, the closer you are to the ground such that the landing lag is the majority of the lag you'll get, you'll save frames and be vulnerable for a lower amount of time. This is a trick that all Zelda mains should be practicing even if they can't frame cancel consistently. It's a good skill to master.
Yeah thats what i kinda starting thinking after some time, i mean for the Fair happy maniacs it would be the 'best of a laggy situation' when it misses xD So i yeah I definitely agree.

Though i feel with Bair since you can SHAD into it, it would highlight the Lag Cancel window, but i still have never managed to land it. Ever xD Only fair. :/

Interesting. I find it damn near impossible to do right to down as opposed to down and right.
And that's interesting as well, I cannot do it at all that way. xD Its definitely super challenging on 3ds but it's possible.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
To be honest Fair is so strong, just hitting with it is rewarding enough. Zelda could use a strong, safe aerial, ranged aerial on shield too.

But from the looks of it, it's impossible to use something like this in neutral @_@.

Yes

This whole less lag thing is something to do with the hitstun overlapping with the landing lag
I think you mean hitlag. Hitlag = the frames when you freeze whenever you hit you're opponents (like Zelda does when she sweetspots a lightning kick). Hitstun = the frames when you're opponent can't do anything when you hit them. This tech only works with moves that have hitlag.

It should work with Bair too.

Last edited:

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I think you mean hitlag. Hitlag = the frames when you freeze whenever you hit you're opponents (like Zelda does when she sweetspots a lightning kick). Hitstun = the frames when you're opponent can't do anything when you hit them. This tech only works with moves that have hitlag

Top Bottom