• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sometimes when I HOO (D-throw) I can't HA (Up-air). Is this normal?

Ducksen

Smash Apprentice
Title says it all. Occasionally when I down throw I can't get the up-air in (although sometimes I can substitute with a f-air which is nice). Is this normal for Diddy? I'm just getting into maining him because he's super fun and i'm just curious if this combo is guranteed or not. Thanks :)

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
What do you mean you can't get it? Like they are too far up, or do you use the up air too early, or do you not jump high enough?

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Title says it all. Occasionally when I down throw I can't get the up-air in (although sometimes I can substitute with a f-air which is nice). Is this normal for Diddy? I'm just getting into maining him because he's super fun and i'm just curious if this combo is guranteed or not. Thanks :)
I've been getting that too, usually happens in the early % due to Dthrow's trajectory going behind Diddy (so I spam multiple Bairs (which is better at chainning than Fair (since Diddy's Fair hits as hard as some of of the Bairs in this game), but it works in later % which is how it should be used.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Dthrow followups are knockback dependent. This means they are subject to the various game mechanics (limited VI, knockback based on percent, knockback based on rage) as well as position limitations. The higher your opponent and your percents, the more likely you will be unable to follow up. Dthrow combos to kill at absurd percents if you are at 0% (aka no rage).

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
If the opponent DI's behind Diddy at kill %'s right when he is thrown, he can usually DI away and Diddy can only connect with FAir or BAir at this point.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Then why in the world of F**** people complain about Hoha so much? I played a diddy on for glory and he only wanted to do HOHA, but he only did it once, the rest of the time he really sucked at doing it, even me who I dont use diddy have problems to use HOHA, so why people complain if isn't a 100% guarantee combo?

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Up throw up air is better than down throw up air.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Then why in the world of F**** people complain about Hoha so much? I played a diddy on for glory and he only wanted to do HOHA, but he only did it once, the rest of the time he really sucked at doing it, even me who I dont use diddy have problems to use HOHA, so why people complain if isn't a 100% guarantee combo?
Perhaps because they know how to do Ho-Hah right. It's a lot about reading your opponent's habits and if need be, applying constant pressure via Peels, etc.

Some things that might help:

- Mix up your setups. Opponents will learn to DI away from Who-H4s the more you spam them. I tend to use D-Throw for B-Airs and F-Airs depending on DI:ng or the character's size and damage (+ rage) and sometimes play around with expectations (like throwing D-Throw but not doing anything to force an airdodge) so they whiff their read for different kind of attack. Also helps to keep moves fresh and not going stale.

- You gotta also watch the opponent and see how conditioned they are to this combo (and others). If you can bait an airdodge, you can instantly slap another U-Air or other attack of your choice. This game's more read-based than last ones.

- Don't rely only on Hoo-Hah for Diddy, as there's many ways to bolster his absolutely fun and addicting combo game. Hoo-Hah (and other D-Throw/Up-Throw setups) are just one of the core killing or comboing methods for Diddy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom