• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something odd (relating to specials and falling)

mrk

Smash Cadet
A few times in the past, and moreso today, I've realized that Meta will, on occasion, do a small jump when he should, by all means, be falling. I've seen it occur after I appear (in the air) out of a Dimensional Cape, out of Mach Tornado (in the air again), and Shuttle Loop (guess where?). I'm not exactly sure what causes this, but I'm sure it could be exploited to some extent, because while the hop is rather small, it's enough to pop back up to a ledge you may have somehow missed, or to avoid the attack of somebody below you. I've been able to do it a few times, but I'm not sure of the exact requirements for pulling it off.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about, and if so, how to manipulate it?

Thanks muchly (first post over here... though I've been playing since 64 and lurking here for only a few days).

mrk

Smash Cadet
I'm going to sleep now, but I'll search through my replays to see if I can't find one where it happens.

Good knight.

(I hate myself for making that pun.)

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Try holding up after you finish a move. This happens often after Drill Rush, but that's the only special you didn't mention. Maybe you could make a replay and send it to me via FC. If you could, I could certainly help you out.

mrk

Smash Cadet
That may be it indeed. Do you think it has anything to do with tap jump? I've always played with it off--down on the d-pad is more natural to me.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Drill rush is different. If you're not on the ground when the move ends, you bounce backwards in the air. That's part of the move. I've never heard of what mrk is taking about, but it's interesting.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Ive heard somewhere that MK could jump from his Down-B, but I believe that was a demo....

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Well, it's weird, by consistency is important, and even figuring this out, I probably wouldn't use it. Also, in agreement, DR always hops back, and you can stall cancel shuttle loops to get back to the stage, which is a small hop. Dimensional Cape, as far as I know, just moves you while you're invisible.

mrk

Smash Cadet
lonely: Yeah, I know about Drill Rush's little jump at the end. In fact, that's why I didn't mention it above: I may well have experienced this phenomenon with Drill Rush in addition to Meta's specials, but I've not paid close enough attention to be absolutely sure that it wasn't the innate hop that comes with the move. I'm absolutely certain that I've done it with his other three specials, though.

UltiMario: With the way that the last few frames of Dimensional Cape are animated, it can, on occasion, look like a jump. What I'm experiencing, however, is different: Meta goes into FallSpecial (I believe it's called that, at least... I just mean the animation where you're falling and can only move left/right a little bit), stays in it, and does a little hopping motion while staying in FallSpecial--not changing his look at all, just kind of popping up a little bit. It's rather odd.

Lgnd: DR doesn't hop if you drill into the ground, IIRC. I could be wrong, but don't think I am. I've heard of cancelling Shuttle Loop before the glide, but never really tried it, so I can't comment. And... while Dimensional Cape may seem similar to Zelda's Farore's Wind at first glance, it shares much more in common with Pika's Agility (or was it Quick Attack?) in that you can move it in two independent directions while invisible. Personally, I use this to counter the main problem with the move--the lack of a long period of invincibility. If you teleport up-right and then down-right, for example, you get the same or more horizontal distance than you would from just going right, and you won't get hit from the front when they attack where you "should" be. This allows fast f-tilts from behind with little chance of punishment, as long as your timing and aim are both semi-decent.

I'll try and come back later today, but I have a monster of a research paper to write before the clock strikes twelve. Hope we can reach some breakthroughs in this field of study!

(Forgive spelling/grammar errors, please... I'm on my phone, so I lack spell-check and such things of that nature.)

mrk

Smash Cadet
I'll see if I can get it some time tomorrow. I'm busy Friday-Sunday :\.

mrk

Smash Cadet
(Thank you for the quadruple-post, site-problems.)

EDIT: Ugh. It removed the quadruple-post, and all that remained was the above. Anyway, the gist of the message was that I've got a replay. I'[ll put a video of it up later today.

(And ignore my seeming lack of skill. I'm no tru=, but I'm quite a proficient Meta Knight. I just wasn't concentrating on the match. [If you hadn't noticed, I only suicided to be sure to keep it under three minutes.])

nugget

Smash Cadet
hmm... ive never seen that before...

i know that if you hold up after he re-appears from his down-b you can get a little extra height, but that is just strange, might have to try to get it to work for myself

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I think I know why you were jumping at the end of your specials. You were fighting G&W. His uair if it doesn't directly hit you sends you up in the air. So it was G&W that was making you rise after the specials.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
This is you getting hit by G&W's Uair, it creates a gust of wind that will send you up.
Unless you can produce this without G&W, this isn't true, sadly.

Edit: Dang got beaten by two minutes :p

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
That is weird.. never seen it before. The only thing I can possibly think of (and I'm probably wrong) is a footstool glitch. Every time that odd animation happened, you passed right over the footstool sweetspot of G&W's head. Perhaps since you were in the middle of a special, the game couldn't execute the footstool properly and instead game you a weird animation at the end of the special. That's all I can think of.

mrk

Smash Cadet
I can't imagine that this has only happened vs. G&W, but that seems to be the case >_>.

Top Bottom