• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something I've heard a lot

Elijah Hinds

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Mario for a little bit now, and have started consistently beating my friends. One thing I have heard from a lot of my friends is that Mario is a character who doesn't take much effort to become tournament ready with. Is this true? If so, I'd love some advice to work towards becoming tournament ready with my Mario.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
He's really very simple to play. You just have to understand his bread and butter moves to do decent with him.
1. D-smash takes 4 frames to come out in front of mario. It is a great move, so if you can learn to cc dsmash you can remove a lot of pressure at low percents and maybe set up for edgeguards
2. fireballs are godly in this game. If you are approaching, you should have a fireball out.
3. Mario is a combo machine. learn some basic combos and you'll be pretty well off at your first tournament.

Happy to potentially have a new face in the PM mario community.

edit: 4 frames=4/60 of a second=Incredibly fast
cc means crouch cancel. if an attack hits you while your crouching, youll take little to no knockback.
I don't know how familiar you are with smash, hope this helps :D

also, cape can get very early kills if you manage to hit it on someone while they're recovering since it turns them around.

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Tbh, yeah it's kind of true. His moveset is a basic brawler, so it's easy to pick up on what moves do what. Mario has relatively safe shield pressure with jab, and if you pressure enough you can scoop 'em up with a d-tilt. D-tilt scoops MOST character at ~40-50%. Fair can be followed up from d-tilt. Also cancel your jab into your tilts. Usually jab-jab-utilt or jab-jab-dtilt can start combos, you could do jab-jab-ftilt if you need to make space from pressure. Fireballs are your friend if you need space and if you need to close distance since Mario can run behind his fireballs. If hit confirms, fireballs follow into dsmash or just about anything of you can predict or move fast enough. Learn to SHFFL. You can carry people across the stage with SHFFL'd nairs at certain percents (not sure what percents, but I've done it plenty of times. Also, make sure you sweetspot your nairs, unless you're making a wall to approach or space.) Grabs are good too, since you can dthrow to fair for kills. Just practice, practice, practice :3

Top Bottom