• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Someone help me get better at Starcraft.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
So over the past week, I've been doing nothing but playing Starcraft, and it has me hooked. I'm playing against CPUs and others in my AP Programming class.

Thing is, I'm bad. I can build up a base decently(according to the players in my class, not sure about how good they are). But I'm always lacking in one thing or another. Usually, though, they use a ****load of units(Zerglings, Hydralisks, Marines+Firebats, Ghosts, Mutalisks, etc) and I can't do much. I can put up a decent Aerial Defense, but I'm not too good on the ground.

Some have told me that I'm "Paranoid." I don't see what they mean by Paranoid. I just like being safe with my Photon Cannons.

Another thing, I play Protoss. I can't seem to find another Protoss player. Everyone I know either plays Terran or Zerg(I ****ing hate the Zerg.) So far, the Zerg have been giving me the most Trouble. I can do pretty well against the Terran, but I haven't been able to win a battle yet, save for a 1v1 against a CPU.

Help me? Teach me? Please?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
starcraft 1 is what all the pimps play
i will be installing it once sc2b goes on break

if you have too many cannons you will lose so you need to know exactly how many you need to not lose and that's it. 1 cannon = 3 probes you dont' have

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Are you Korean?

If the answer to the above question is no, I'm sorry to inform you that you will never actually improve at Star Craft.

Blizzard thanks you for playing!
the real truth behind the game. dead serious. its their national sport.

RJsHouse

Smash Apprentice
I play Toss.

Also, Koreans can only play Starcraft and a small percentage of Europeans.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I'm also told that I am bad at expanding. I don't see how I'm bad at it, but whatever.

I'm rather defensive, actually, but someone told me that the Protoss are a very offensive race.

tubes

Smash Ace
You're probably bad at everything, because Starcraft isn't a game you can just be "good" at.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
toss strategy- scout/counter...know ur enemy before they know u. nuff said. zrush is good and all but u have to make sure your opponent isnt ready and know full well what he is building, etc. lots of strategy imo

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I've been building up to Observers really quickly so far. I make the Support Bay and the Observatory right after my Gateways, actually. I use them to scout the map.

Is putting Photon Cannons near cliffs a good idea? I do it quite often, but It doesn't work very much.

Where's a good place to put PCs? And what good are the Arbiters? They're not too strong, even when upgraded.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
scouting asap is better. use ur drones/scv/probes...theyre the BEST scouts/distraction

most games end in tier 1 or tier 2 armies, arbiters i think are considered tier 3 and most games dont go that far in but hell if it comes to that point theyre beast and a good distraction/focal point

Diatenshi

Smash Lord
if its a forge FE, then 2 cannons can hold off this is best when opponent is also fast expanding or teching... expecially vs. 9pool or overpool zerg

if u wanna go old school then one base play and attack round the 6-7 minute mark can be devistating, its round that time that you reach a critical # of goons and some zeals if its vs. zerg, vs. terran zeals are less important unless ur zealbombing

if i were you, go for something standard and 2 gate, set up a few units round outside of his base as a semi-contain, and then expo to your natural, try to keep them to only 1 base, keep in mind vs. zerg you cannot do this as easily, they have supreme map control vs. you

Diatenshi

Smash Lord
he's not forge FEing he's spamming cannons around like a white man
lol i just made a general post without looking at replay...

umm... then if thats the case, get this man forge FE'ing and actually teach him BO's or something.... actually

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/PvZ_Strategy
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/PvT_Strategy
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/PvP_Strategy

all the general stuff you need to know

SC is more about technical precision than actual strategy nowadays i mean intelligent use of units is key, but if you out Macro someone, odds are you'll beat them

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I'm going to be brutally honest here when I say that there is no point in playing Star Craft unless you hire a player from Korea to tutor you completely.

It's just really that one sided.

Can anybody even tell me the last time WCG was won by a non-Korean player? lol

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
I'm going to be brutally honest here when I say that there is no point in playing Star Craft unless you hire a player from Korea to tutor you completely.

It's just really that one sided.

Can anybody even tell me the last time WCG was won by a non-Korean player? lol
i think it was like 00 or 01. It was one of the first years the game was out. It may have been the first WCG actually. Believe it or not I used to be extremely good at SC.

Эикельманн [РУС]

No, lol. Every WCG has infact been won by a Korean. Unless of course you're talking about the national event, in which China happened to win the first year. But those don't even really matter as much as the standard 1v1 does.

KO, did you watch stork vs jaedong? lol

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
Ive been playing a lot of sc myself with a couple of friends and as long as youre all relatively on the same level its fun.

No need to try to go "korean" mode cuz youll just stress yourself out and hate yourself for sucking at the game. The people that play it professionally are straight up beasts and do it for a living so it'd be silly to try to compete with that.

As for getting better or learning. I would suggest playing with computers so you become comfortable (commands, hotkeys etc etc) and once you got that down you could probably youtube a lot of matches that people have to get some ideas from them.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
best advice i can give you (coming from a former #1 platinum player har har har)

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=104154

he doesn't really do sc1 dailies anymore, but **** he is really helpful and entertaining
plus he mostly reviews really good games with subtle awesome things

imo best way to get better - he's taken me from average platinum player to much above average in like a month

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
**** TOSS! Zerg is awesome, don't sprout lies on this board. The matchup isn't in toss's favor but it's not that bad.

Anyway, SC2 Beta is out. Don't play that SC1. It's too awesome. Come play SC2 in all of its scrubiness. It'll get better eventually/hopefully. Hopefully the expansion packs will help sc2 as much as it did for sc1.

best advice i can give you (coming from a former #1 platinum player har har har)
So last patch. I'm #7 Diamond League in 1v1. Equivalent leagues in the other versus. Only platinum in 4v4 cause of ******** teammates.

he's playing the starcraft with lurkers in it
Most awesome unit in the game by far after mutas. Mutas have a slight bonus for being useful outside of 100 apm D- league matches.

edit:

Also, if you're going too play toss or terran. Play it like this. Cause it's more fun too watch. Best match I've seen in ages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfnA7Q3AjUg&playnext_from=TL&videos=jEYwMnHioqk

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
coincidentally day9 actually does a daily on that very game

and i'll start playing again when bnet actually works, i'm sure getting to the top right now isn't too tough

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I'm not looking to go Pro(obv) I just play for fun and would like to not lose constantly.

I got my first win today against a friend of mine. I used the Gas Steal Elevator Rush. Pretty fun tactic in PvT.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Does anyone want to play me over ICCUP?

I'm looking to play others around my skill level.
What league are you? What is your apm? I haven't played in forever but I might find some time to try too get out some of my old skillz if your around my level (nonexistent as they might have been).

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
What league are you? What is your apm? I haven't played in forever but I might find some time to try too get out some of my old skillz if your around my level (nonexistent as they might have been).
League? I don't know what you mean by League. And what's APM? Like I said, I play for fun, but don't want to suck at it.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
League? I don't know what you mean by League. And what's APM? Like I said, I play for fun, but don't want to suck at it.
league (aka ladder( I'm the only one who calls it by that name, ladder just sounds ***** :D)) A,B, C, D, or ummm...lower.

Actions per minute = apm

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Yeah, sc is saying no to my wireless notebook right now. When I get back to my desktop I'll play, although SC will still whine about the wireless internets.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sc is saying no to my wireless notebook right now. When I get back to my desktop I'll play, although SC will still whine about the wireless internets.
LOL. I hear ya on that one.

I'll practice my favorite BOs on CPUs in the meantime. I gotta get the timings down...and hotkeying is a pain at first.

So far, I like Bulldog and The Royal Stove.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i just installed sc1, gonna get on that iccup gonna be mousepad22 less someone steals it before i get there

SleepyK

basically, it boils down to a few factors. you can trust me, i'm korean.
1) are you going to play it competitively? if not, then there is no point because unless you are a prodigy (which you are most likely not, mainly because you are not korean) you'll be investing at least a year or two of constant playing and practice until you're able to perform mechanics and break C-. and you'll still be really bad.

2) with sc2 coming out sometime soon, a lot of support for sc1 is dropping anyway. if for some reason you answer "yes" to the statement above, keep this part in mind. plus sc2 requires slightly less micro to perform basic mechanics, but it still has a strong emphasis on macro. so you might want to try that out first instead.

3) if you're still interested in playing COMPETITIVELY AND NOT FOR FUN then visit teamliquid.net

Top Bottom