• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Someone explain how my brother's Fox died so early to Captain Falcon?

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I watched my brother play For Glory earlier. He was playing Fox and the opponent was a Captain Falcon. The Captain Falcon player hit my brother's Fox with a Raptor Boost and killed him, when Fox was around 35%-40% around the middle of the stage. Flew straight up and died.

And if it helps, it was on the Pikmin stage.

Not sure if rage had something to do with it, we didn't save a replay. But we tested it out later in training mode and didn't accomplish the same thing. So what happened and how did it happen? Even if rage mode was going on, that move shouldn't kill early I would think, only certain attacks from other characters can kill that early.

And my brother uses Captain Falcon as one of his mains too so of course he and I was surprised.

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
Was Fox charging a smash attack? You take extra knockback when you get hit when you were charging a smash attack. That, combined with rage, and Raptor Boost being really crazy strong, probably is what did it.

Also, this probably didn't warrant it's own thread...

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
Yeah @ SuperHyperMegaTurbo SuperHyperMegaTurbo is right. Whatever "counter hit" mechanic they put in the game is ridiculous. I've hit Luigi and Peach with raptor boost in the 30's and took the stock without rage (in the 20% range myself). Retest it with Fox charging an up smash (for the no DI factor).

D

Deleted member 269706

Probably a combination of bad DI and charging a Smash attack. I've never seen it kill THAT early, but Fox is a lighter character so I suppose it's very possible.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
This just happened with me, I didn't know Charging attacks increased your own KB, that's very important to know.
My 117% Capt. killed a dark bit at 55% (after hit). I was super confused. I've got it saved.

any other mechanics like this that I may be missing?

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
There are some odd occurrences with Bowser Jr. (maybe Duck Hunt Dog?) where characters have a "weak point" you can hit for maximum effect. ie if you hit Bowser Jr.'s clown car, he'll take less damage than if you hit the koopa kid directly. Not sure about knock back though.

Also, for Capt. Falcon mains and the like, angled smash attacks deal more damage and KB for only slightly more effort (maybe sacrificing a bit of range). Important stuff for Ganondorf players especially.

-NV

Smash Cadet
yep i vs my brother who is a cap falcon, and he did this to me. really really annoying. easy kills at only around 60%!!!

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
If you tested in training room, rage doesn't work in training

Top Bottom