• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Yoshi Questions

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Currently, I'm trying to decide on whether to make Shiek or Yoshi my main. So, before I make my choice, I have some questions:

1) Does Yoshi have any impossible match ups where the only choice is to switch out for another character? It doesn't matter if it's very hard, as long as it's winnable.

2) Is Yoshi's popularity starting to build up? It may be just me, but I've been seeing more and more Yoshis lately.

3) Is Yoshi an easy character to learn how to play well, or is he rather difficult to master?

Thank you.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I dunno that much about matchups, but a lot of characters have impossible matchups.

Yes it is, in my opinion. I hopped onto the bandwagon (again)

No. he's really difficult. I kill myself a lot for Edge kills. After a while you will get used to him

Mmac

Smash Lord
Currently, I'm trying to decide on whether to make Shiek or Yoshi my main. So, before I make my choice, I have some questions:
Yay! *Listens*

1) Does Yoshi have any impossible match ups where the only choice is to switch out for another character? It doesn't matter if it's very hard, as long as it's winnable.
Well by Impossible, you mean like Infinites or anything like that, then no. He has a few pretty bad matchup's, but they're all winnable

2) Is Yoshi's popularity starting to build up? It may be just me, but I've been seeing more and more Yoshis lately.
I believe so. I'm noticing that too.

3) Is Yoshi an easy character to learn how to play well, or is he rather difficult to master? Thank you.
Yoshi is not an easy character to use. He was one of the more difficult learning curve in the past two games, and remains as such.

Gindler

Smash Champion

3) Is Yoshi an easy character to learn how to play well, or is he rather difficult to master?

Thank you.
1) Lucario and Link are apparently his worst matchups last I checked, so you don't have much to worry about.

2) I think people are starting to respect him, I still haven't seen many other people use him though

3) I wouldn't say easy but I've used him since 64 so I'm somewhat used to him, alot of people seem to think he has a large learning curve though.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
1) No, not really
2) Yes, and it makes me very sad, i liked being the only yoshi player in the area, but thats still the case
3)Same as the guy above me >_>

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
1: From memory his worst is against Falco (don't try to use your second jump out of his Chain Throw at low %s, I've lost it once before by doing that).

2: I'm from Aust, we have possibly the largest Yoshi count per square mile/ kilometer (a recent meet with about 13 people had 4 Yoshi players inc 2 Yoshi mains). It wouldn't suprise me since he has been getting a lot of new discoveries and his potential is skyrocketing.

3: Can you input 3 buttons and a direction within two frames to do the Dragonic Reverse?
Yoshi was the second/ first hardest character to learn in Melee (hardest being either Yoshi or MewTwo) he has retained most of his difficulty to learn (Egg throws are easier however Fair is slightly harder to spike with).

Mmac

Smash Lord
1: From memory his worst is against Falco (don't try to use your second jump out of his Chain Throw at low %s, I've lost it once before by doing that).
Actually, Falco isn't that hard anymore. Just Chaingrab him back and Fair him on the release when he's still recovering from the release.

And Nair breaks his Chaingrab

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice

Thank you.
1) Not match up is impossible, only improbable

2) I have not noticed the change

3) Yoshi takes quite a bit of time, but if you have the time, go for it. All I like him for is the egg throw.:ohwell:

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
1. No characters have an infinite or anything like that against Yoshi to my knowledge, so I don't think any matchup is unwinnable. Some may be very difficult though.

2. I've seen more Yoshi mains lately as well.

3. I don't think Yoshi is that easy to learn. Considering I first started maining him in Brawl, that could have to do with it (I used Yoshi only sometimes in Melee as a secondary and that was recently). I'd say he has a high learning curve, but luckily the Yoshi community can help you if you need it.

By the way, welcome to the Yoshi boards. :)

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
thats funny i happen to main both Shiek and Yoshi...i probably use Shiek more but i think i can be better with Yoshi

i like Yoshi as far as play style mostly for his aerials, tail tilts, egg throw, and the occasional surprise downB as opposed to Shiek's combo abilities and quickness

Defender

Smash Rookie
Hello, Dememise. Glad to hear that you're considering maining Yoshi.

In answer to your questions:

1) No, I don't think that Yoshi has any impossible match-ups, though he does have some hard ones. Note that I am making this statement based on what I read in Kiwikomix's excellent Yoshi match-up thread (which I highly suggest reading) and not from personal experience.

2) Yes, it does seem to me that Yoshi's popularity has been growing some, which is perhaps caused in part by the great number of AT's that have been discovered for Yoshi.

3) Well, like some of the others, I have been playing Yoshi for so long that I really can't say whether or not he is hard to learn. I will say this; though, Yoshi requires you to use a lot more of his moves than some other characters require in order to be effective. Also, Yoshi does have a few ways to accidentally kill himself, but don't get discouraged when it happens (trust me, it WILL happen) because it happens to the best of us. If you keep practicing, though, you will get to the point where you don't self-destruct that much. (I think that I have less than 20 self-destructs in the entire time that I have been playing Brawl, and I play Yoshi the vast majority of the time.) The last bit of advice that I have is to check out Sharkey's "How to hatch a Healthy Yoshi" thread. It is a great guide that really helped with my Yoshi game.

Anyway, good luck with deciding on your main!

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Thank you to all who have responded. I don't think that my Yoshi's play style is as fluent as my Shiek's. However, I definitely see that what I'm doing with Shiek is very "begginer-esque" and too simple to be going anywhere. Plus, while she's fun and all, it's just too repetitive. So I'm leaning towards Yoshi right now. Thanks.

By the way, Yoshi was one of my favorites in Melee, being my main at one point (but descending to be my second.) :p

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
Yoshi has 2-4 low percentage kills per character (Gannondorf having the big problem as all 4 work from below 50%). THAT is the big fact, along with "psudo-wavedashing" (SYND and DR) are what are drawing people.

Yoshi is easily one of the fastest heavies in the game, weighing in at 8th. Flat out, no one beats him in the air in raw speed. He can be played as a technical or a berserker, though both need their own refinement. Yoshi's fall speed is VERY easy to manipulate, making him extremely hard to juggle. On top of that, he can easily become floaty, recovering from some respectable horazontal. He has true super armor on his second jump, semi-super armor on several of his attacks, and many of hitboxes are bigger than he is, as the part attacking tends to stretch.

Yoshi's specials aren't anything special, but each has its merits. Egg rolling to camp can simply people who's melee games are that much better than yours. The egg throw is very versitile with its many angles, though it loses much of its defensive ability. Its the sole reason you win the match matchup btw (besides grabs ofcourse, but Marth can actually do something against those). Egg Lay is one of his one hit KO's once you learn it, and is a very good way to anti-edgeguard once practices. Its also amazing at getting people off their game, as one or two times being trapped can frustrate players, and against metaknight and diddy, taking them out of their confort zone is huge. The Yoshi Bomb his numerous uses, but I'll leave those to you.

I'll be back later for his "A" game.

Top Bottom