• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Yoshi help

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
Lately I've been playing a Snake player. I know Yoshi has the advantage in the air, and I can get him in the air using egg lay or up tilt (for minimal air distance) and up smash (on the rare occation he doesn't shield it), but I can never get an up air on him. Every time I try he air dodges through and gets safely down to the ground with fast falling. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of camping below him on the ground, short hopping an up air, and if he air dodges, then doing a dair or fast falling a nair. I don't know if either will work though.

For egg lay, I'm not sure if I can do an up air when he breaks out of the egg, before he has time to dodge or counterattack.

As a side note, I can't perform the grab release chain on Snake. Any tips on getting that to work?

Thanks.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
The best place to u-air him is during his recovery, where he is completely vulnerable. You should only use u-air for kills in this match-up because Snake is extremely heavy. If you follow him into the air, you should instead use b-air or n-air, both of which Snake can't fully dodge.

As for the chain-grab, just keep on practicing. You have to buffer it perfectly if you want to re-grab him, but it is well worth it for the edge-guarding opportunities it presents.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
The problem is, I'll get him off stage and he'll use his recovery right away, getting too high for me to hit. He then comes down to the stage from above and dodges any of my aerials till he's safe on the ground. Then I'm in the bad situation since I'm above him.

I'm hoping there could be some way to get around his dodge and fit in an up air since that would guarantee a KO.

I'll try fitting in some more n-airs and b-airs when he's airborne though.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
The worst position for Snake to be in in this match-up is above you. If you absolutely cannot reach him during his recovery, then try to predict where he'll land and up-smash him.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
I think you should try to time your jump so he thinks youre going to do an aerial but you dont. So he air dodges and you hit him once he comes out of the dodge. You could do that every once in a while to confuse him and get a hit in. Mindgames. :]

Chaco

Never Logs In
SH Uair, side connect, then DJ another one. Works for me.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I think you should try to time your jump so he thinks youre going to do an aerial but you dont. So he air dodges and you hit him once he comes out of the dodge. You could do that every once in a while to confuse him and get a hit in. Mindgames. :]
That nicely sums up what i was going to say. Also, if he is near the ground and expecting an aerial, i've been able to empty short hop into a forward smash to catch him after the dodge. or you could uair in your short hop so he doesen't think the fsmash was your plan all along XD

Alternatively, if you have the chaingrab down, you can try to go for the grab as he lands and if youg rab him before he hits the floor you can bring him to/off the edge without refreshing his cypher, which auto kills if he has c4 out already, and if he doesen't its not too hard to follow it up with a spike or dair

Top Bottom