• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some weird Phantasm properties

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Well I have 2 things to share.

1. Sometimes when you use the phantasm (or fox illusion, both work), toward the stage, if you're a little too high to sweetspot, as soon as you reach the stage you enter freefall animation, and can do any move again (firefox is probably the best so that you will recover instead of dying) instead of entering the falling animation where you can't do anything. I've seen it most commonly on Lylat System, because the stage tilts up and down.

2. Now this one's weird, and I would never have thought it existed until I saw it (and I bet it's a pretty rare type of glitch). I used the phantasm on Final Destination, a little below the sweetspot (so I would have died anyway), but as soon as I reached the stage, or maybe partway through the animation, Falco appeared under Final Destination, doing the phantasm. No idea how it happened, but I actually just paused the game to post this, as it happened about a minute ago.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
I did the second one a couple times last night. He just follows the slope of the stage, instead of getting stuck.

TL?

Smash Ace
The second one happened to me too. My falco is famous for self kills and bad luck. lol

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
I've seen the second one as well,
But how can you still do another move after using phantasm?
Video or a better explanation is always appreciated :D

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I can't make a video :(

I'll do my best to explain though. Say you are a phantasm's distance away from the edge, and very slightly above it. You use phantasm, and appear at the edge. You won't go onto the stage (you are too low for that), and will not sweetspot the edge (you are too high for that). Instead, you will just be standing next to the edge momentarily, and begin to freefall (and you won't grab the edge when you fall). After this, you can basically do anything that you can usually do in the air after two jumps (you do not have a second jump), but you can do aerials, air dodge, or use your upB, which is probably the best choice because you are going to fall.

Overall unless you had really good accuracy and timing, it doesn't seem like a very useful thing, mostly just a glitch to know about.

I'd say this is probably most common on Lylat System, due to the tilting stage.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Turns out it's almost impossible to do on purpose...
I think it's a glitch... after about 5-10 min of trying I gave up... went to play some wifi on GameBattles
And it actually happened to me on there twice... on battlefield...
There was another thread on this in the tactical discussion forum as well

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
I've telestepped with Falco once. It seems like there are a lot of things to do with the phantasm that haven't been discovered yet.

Riodsey

Smash Cadet
For those who didn't understand what exactly he saied, I think it happens at 1:57 - 2:00 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Ef8EgjIQg
(The match is good too, so watch it all)

I think it is extremely difficult to do that on purpose, but if a easy way is discovered it would be great.

And it looks the same thing that happens with Lucario "Edge-cancel" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfieID18bY

But since falco Side B is only horizontal, it is much harder to do.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
For those who didn't understand what exactly he saied, I think it happens at 1:57 - 2:00 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Ef8EgjIQg
(The match is good too, so watch it all)

I think it is extremely difficult to do that on purpose, but if a easy way is discovered it would be great.

And it looks the same thing that happens with Lucario "Edge-cancel" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfieID18bY

But since falco Side B is only horizontal, it is much harder to do.
Yes, the thing he does at about 1:58 in the first video is what I'm talking about. And it is very similar to the thing in the Lucario video.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
when you hit the side of the stage like that its probably best to just jump to the edge or just onto the stage if you are fast enough. It gives you back your jumps because the game engine thinks you touched the stage but you fall off the side.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Wolf also does this with his. I think this just has the same properties as Bowser and Kirby's infinite jumps. Like when you use a special just above the ground it restores your jumps. If it's what I'm thinking of, you should be able to jump out of this. It's hard to recreate, but totally possible.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
You can indeed jump out of this. Technically you land (not on the stage though) and can do anything out of this. I do it all the time with Wolf cause it's kinda easy. I only do it on accident with Falco though, and I usually die because of it. lol. Has some mindgame potential, but it's pretty risky.

Top Bottom