• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some troubles with Yoshi matchups.

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
Hello! Anyway, I figured that I could probably seek some help from more experienced Luigi players that come around here. I consider myself a decent Luigi all around and actually I don't struggle with a lot of common bad matchups for Luigi (Marth comes to mind). I've been recently finding myself struggling with Yoshis though, especially if they initiate the chase against me.

I can combo them a good amount like with most other characters, but a lot of the time when they attack I end up either clashing or taking a lot of damage on the ground and air. Tons of follow-ups I try usually get stopped cold with just a quick N-Air a lot of the time too. Jabbing does not seem to help too much either because I just eat another N-Air a split-second or so after the last hit of the A, A, A combo.

I don't know if this is a common matchup researched, but if by chance I could get just a little bit of help with the matchup, that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
My experience is losing to the same Yoshi 3-2 at three different tournaments, IE rather limited, but here's what I got.

As you mentioned, Yoshi can nair out of trouble much like Luigi can, and also has the option eat it with jump armor for a stronger counter attack. This shouldn't be a problem, you just need to learn when to back off, then actually it allows a punish. This is a good skill to learn that carries over to fighting other characters (Peach, Zelda, Luigi), too.

He always tried to recover high, which leaves three options. You could try to cut him off in the air, but Egg Roll, airdodge, and Luigi's slow drifting mean you have only one shot and the statistical disadvantage in coverage. You could stay grounded and wait for him to land, but that allows him to start up and el-cancel fair or dair (which have great priority and followups), he can just rush to the ground/ledge with Yoshi Bomb, and you really don't want him to get his jump back. The third option is to feint the first.

Learn his true range, as his tail is deceptively stretchy. Dsmash in particular is dangerously fast (frame 6), long-ranged, and sends at a low-angle (30°). Also beware of his weight, which allows high-percent crouch cancelling.

Supposedly footstool can destroy him, but I've yet to really implement it.

Eggs are transcendent or something. Don't **** with them.

As character-general advice, it's usually not worth following jab through to the butt. Try to hit-confirm just the first hit, then respond appropriately, usually with grab (except some floaties), either standing, dashing, or jump-cancelled. If they're far away and not shielding, especially if they're over the edge, you might also go with ftilt. If they're close and shielding, especially if their shield is low, you might also go with dtilt. If they're close, not shielding, and >70%, try Up-B. Just shield if they're still able to respond before you can, and learn to punish sidesteppers.

If you're being run-down, wall with ftilt or dsmash. If it clanks, be ready to jab or dsmash or WD a retreating ftilt/fireball.

Last edited:

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
That's definitely some good advice right off the bat. I can hopefully work and improve with those tips. Thanks!

Top Bottom