• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some tips and tricks for yoshi?

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Cancel all your DJCs, play mind games, if you get hit make your your able to survive 150% half the time. You can use cheap combos if you want (I personally don't like using them) because even pros i find leave themselves open to that stupid drill combo. Learn how to chain every move and how to utilise the egg. forward tilt for a sure hit if your stuck and you dont know what to do. don't smash too much. and grab when your sure of it (I usually slip my fingers on the grab button by accident... it usually kills me).
Learn to parry and to counter with parry.

Other things? Nair combos, Double jump landing (looks like a wave dash), Bair control (and combos) uair chains, below platform egg laying, Edge trap, egg throw canceling, knowing hit stun percentages, DJC slide...
Most important out of all though is to watch for pokes!

Theres a lot more though >.>

_kSo_

Smash Master
parry/just defend (GG term)

you double jump cancel right when they attack and since yoshi is invincible during his second jump, you can parry it

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
"Edge trap, egg throw canceling"

Wait, what's edge trap-- and I thought Yoshi couldn't cancel the egg throw in 64! TELL ME NOW IM EXCITED!

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Edge trap is a combination of things. DJ slide into the ground for a quick edge grab making it unexpected, or shooting an egg to cover the tip of the edge while covering the area behind you so that a wide area of the edge is covered. You have to shoot your egg so that when it explodes, you would of had time to do a down smash animation.

egg canceling is used for mind games. It's basicly canceling the egg throw by grabbing the edge after the throwing animation to cancel the cool down animation.

knucklesfanatic

Smash Rookie
Edge trap is a combination of things. DJ slide into the ground for a quick edge grab making it unexpected, or shooting an egg to cover the tip of the edge while covering the area behind you so that a wide area of the edge is covered. You have to shoot your egg so that when it explodes, you would of had time to do a down smash animation.

egg canceling is used for mind games. It's basicly canceling the egg throw by grabbing the edge after the throwing animation to cancel the cool down animation.
Thanks a ton for the tips Fabrian,Mooseproduce,KSO4351. I will master them actually i caught my friend with the egg trap yesterday. I use a 4 style d pad so i still need to work on my aiming but i am getting there. :) To make my self more respectable i don't abuse the Yoshi Flutter kicks I just do it in a combo from 0 to 100%. Then stop(i choose to do that)

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
I find sossy doesn't use the most profitable moves at the right time he just has a good djc ability and control which you need but he kind of over abuses it. Mind you yoshi is harder on controller...

Don't dream to be sossy do your dam own style

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I find sossy doesn't use the most profitable moves at the right time he just has a good djc ability and control which you need but he kind of over abuses it.
I don't know how you can even begin to say Sossy isn't that good. :confused:

As for tips and tricks, Sossy uses jump blocking during actual gameplay. Jump blocking is where you shield and jump at the same time someone hits you to completely negate the attack. It's probably one of if not the hardest techniques I've ever tried to learn on SSB64, and he uses in gameplay around 3-4 times a match. Sossy is just too good.

malva00

Smash Master
I'm sure he uses it more than 3-4 times.

When the matches come out you'll see how I try to avoid his block jump attacks.

I think fabrian might confuse some people with the words "he just has".

Sossi(y) is the best Yoshi player.

malva00

Smash Master
what do you mean "your not kidding" sossy and guy who made the combo vid are different people

unless you're talking about the matches posted

Top Bottom