• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some things I noticed

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
So I FINALLY got to play with G&W this weekend, since I'm plagued by the curse of no Wii, and was nearly owning all my friends by he end of the night except the one's pit.
But to the matter at hand, there were two things that happened by accident:

I got a first-use 9 Judgment. I wouldn't know if this was already confirmed, but as memory serves it was believed to be impossible. Granted, it may be that I'd been KO'd once, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the first three of my moves. Like, 100% sure. (memory can fail the best of us at times)

also, I had dealt maybe 20, 25 damage to my opponent with a few b/f airs, and he was coming back to the edge from below. I'm pretty sure he hadn't yet grabbed, but I did G&W's running attack and spiked him at that low damage! It didn't spike him all the way down, but he was too far down to get back up by the time he could react (he was fox)
This technique seems a little hard to pull of, though, as if I'm correct they'd need to be below the ledge, and without good height recovery (e.g. Pit, G&W, a well-timed Metaknight) I don't have as much of a chance practicing this, so you're all welcome to try it out.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
you can't get a 1 or a 2 on the first hammer, you can't get a 1 or the first hammer on the second hammer, you can't get either of the last two hammers on the third or subsequent hammers. when you die the rule resets. these are the generally accepted hammer rules, im pretty sure they still apply to brawl.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I once got a 9, another number, then a 9 immediately after. I'd like to analyze his hammers to see if there's new rules, because it seems I get 9's really frequently.

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
wow, my memory must've really crapped out on me there. . .

sorry for being so late on this post, been visiting a college the past three days

but I got that spike KO again today, on Zero Suit Samus. I know for sure this time she was actually hanging on the ledge, and she was at high enough damage that she didn't get a chance to recover. it is possibly that it works before they grab, as I originally thought, but ZSS was definitely hanging this time.

Infamaz

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if I was high on something today, but while playing Gaw vs GaW, I noticed that I got forced upwards a little when my friend used his up-B on me. I was diagonal from him, but maybe 2 BaW bodies away. It happened twice and it looked to be the same as using an Up-air. No I did not get hit.

mdom88

Smash Rookie
yeah the trampoline affects your opponents, i've also launched items into the air while using the trampoline

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Messed around with the hammer for a while today. In over 150 uses, I never got a single number twice, which strongly implies that you cannot pull two numbers in a rule. However, this might be reset after you are KO'd, as I didn't test that.

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
shady, could you elaborate? the only thing I get out of your comment is that somehow you have at least 150 hammer numbers. . .

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont use the hammer, is that bad? But anyways when I have done it occasionally I have noticed that the 9 is more common. My older bro loves the hammer with his gaw and he killed me quite a few times with it.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
I also don't hammer either. But if the nine is more common, especially on the first few uses of each stock it'll totally be worth using o.o

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
Okay, I got my lazy butt on that couch and did some testing!
I discovered that the reason why it happens is because of the physics! obviously.
but if the person is hanging on the ledge (watch for the invincible frames, they're no go!)on any stage with a titled or flat under part (e.g. battlefield, skyworld, pillar, smashville) and neither a verticle side (castle siege, warioware, stagebuilder pieces) nor a goes-through type thing (norfair) what will happen is the character will be pushed down and away slightly, then thrown up towards G&W. . . where they bounce back down again, with all the stun in this game! if there's a verticle ledge, they'll bounce upward and away from the ledge or not at all, so it won't do any good, and in a goes-through stage it'll just throw them behind G&W (of course the latter two, while they won't KO, can open for combos. such as turtle or keyspike).

I'd like to test this out more, to see the lowest it can spike, what characters are able to recover as long as they don't KO, and so on. also, I'd like to test if it works on final D, as it bounces downward, but not at an extreme angle, so it might not work as well.
I can't guarantee I'll test this, though, as it's kind of hard to do it on my own, and I don't currently have wi-fi or friends interested in this sort of thing. so I welcome others to test further!
and trust me, this is a viable technique! I've done it against human players a few times.

(reminder: it's a dashing attack done on a hanging opponent not in the invincible frames)
also, I still don't know if/when it works when they're not hanging

Top Bottom