• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Random S***

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Haven't been here much in the last half year, so I haven't really kept up on much of what you guys have been discussing.......but i'm always lurking:).

Just a few things that I find interesting that I use in my gameplay/tidbits that you may or may not know. Like I said some of this stuff may have already been discussed.....this probably doesn't even need it's own thread but oh well.

Never Dash Grab- Seriously if you can train yourself to always dash into a shield grab. It's faster and it has less lag if you whiff on the grab. Plus there's always the chance that your opponent got some sort of hitbox out in time and if you quickly hit the shield button you can PS it. Of course i'm not just talking about regular dashing into a shield, i'm talking about quickly cancelling the dash animation with a shield in just a split second and quickly buffering a grab.

SH AC Fair to Jab- I personally love this. Fox has a few frame traps( bair to utilt and jab to dsmash being the others) and you should be taking advantage of them. SH Fair not only allows you to drift away similiar to Wario to protect yourself if shielded, but the Auto Cancel ability of the sets up perfectly for some neat baiting tricks. Obviously most players AC the move and use an attack, but I think jab is your safest option strictly because it's your fastest option. AC Fair straight into a frame 2 Jab is good.......use it.

Utilt Strings- They don't work against competent players. I'm sure Fenrir, A6M, Zhamy, M@V, and Kheldar have been telling people this for a while. Any player with a clue on how to DI will get out of this after about 2 of them. I like to utilt twice and then I either SH nair to hit them out of their airdodge or I shield and react to wahtever they do. Also, DO NOT try to consecutive utilt a Marth or MK obviously. There are other characters with moves fast enough to hit you out of this.....I believe Peach can Nair out of it. I've used Naryus as Zelda to get out of it at times with the invincibility frames but i'm not sure if it's guaranteed or anything.....just something to be aware of.

Ledge Options- Meh, everyone loves to drop into a rising Fair when attempting to get back on the stage. it's not necessarily a bad option but Fair's long duration means you are completely committed to the move for a while. I personally like rising Nair straight into a quick Jab. I also don't recommend illusioning onto the stage as a lot of Fox players are accustomed to doing. Another small trick I pull out every once in a while is a b reversal on my return trip to the stage so I gain the use of my bair to ward off would be edgeguarders. It's not completely safe as bair has a lot of lag when used in the air, but it can catch some people offguard.......a decent mixup.

Oh and one other thing. I'm a big fan of Foxtrotting. I watch Rookie and he likes to use a lot of dash attack as a quick punisher and it works for him......but I prefer foxtrotting, crouch cancelling the dash animation and then jabbing. I don't have the frames but I think it is faster than dash attack and jab is a lot safer on block than dash attack. If you've never even considered foxtrotting into your gameplay.....give it a shot. it can lead to some interesting stuff.

Like I said probably not even worth it's own thread, just some random stuff from good ole Mars lol. Feel free to tell me how redundant/useless this stuff was or whatever:).

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Crouch cancel your dash? Why not just use shield -> jab. Better yet, why not pivot glide your jab. Sliding jabs ftw. You also don't risk tripping like with Fox Trotting.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Never Dash Grab
very very true, also mix in a few pivots in there against the spot dodgers.

SH AC Fair to Jab
a properly spaced nair will work as well, though not as good as fair. I cant stress mixups enough

Utilt Strings- They don't work against competent players.
if you can SHAC uair I would use that instead of nair for safety reasons.

Ledge Options
I like Illusioning to the ledge multiple times (throwng in some cancels here and there) just because its harder to guess what you are going to do. You can also pseudo-scar with illusion. making you stand on the stage with no lag. try to find out the right height for that. And another tidbit is to illusion colse to the stage to reduce your landing lag so it is like falcos. and the good old reliable stand up is too good.

They call It FOXtrotting for a reason. use it more.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Crouch cancel your dash? Why not just use shield -> jab. Better yet, why not pivot glide your jab. Sliding jabs ftw. You also don't risk tripping like with Fox Trotting.
Explain please. Don't think I know what you mean.

Oh and yes the tripping is a risk to using it, but iirc it's faster than shield dashing to a jab.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Dash attack is seriously one of the best Fox options when your opponent is landing... the lasting hitbox allows you to hit them whether they airdodge or not... and since you are dashing in, a counterattack will usually miss...

Not to mention that dash attack leads easily into other attack options... it's just pretty nice...

pretty much every other use for dash attack is a bad choice...

Jenkins

Smash Lord
dash attack is good when used correctly.

when not used correctly, well, good luck with that!

RPK

Smash Lord
Dash attack is too good <3 Though so is Fox Trotting. I love the two of them x3 Fox Trotting is very good since you still move very quickly, can change directions, and can do basically anything out of it. Like Fox Trotting all the way across to a forward smash lol, or Fox Trotting away and coming back instantly and upsmashing.

Oh, and the best way to do a sliding jab is to walk. Walking is actually pretty **** good for Fox considering he slides a little bit. So walk away, and then walk back and instantly jab. Resulting in one that just slides forward. Same with Down smash and other attacks. Out of a walk, they increase in range because he slides along the ground. Pretty sexy imo.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea I agree RPK and I love Fox. You guys have no idea how much I love Fox.................no homo.

Zephil

Smash Ace
wait a sec... so you like fox or not??? in the other topic you said that Fox just wasn´t for you anymore

Top Bottom