• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some questions... (Unity 3D Smash-Esque Game)

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Yo. Freelance Programmer with 10+ years of experience here. Hopefully experienced people actually check this forum.

I'm working on a Smash Bros-esque game in Unity 3D that has mechanics very much like the smash games. I've been working on the base engine, setting up actions, making the way the game handles multiple characters smooth as possible, creating a frame manager, etc etc. It's going great. I'm coming up to the point where I'll actually be putting in hitboxes and the like.

I'm relatively new to Unity, and 3D in general. 2D has been my forte ever since I started. What do you recommend I use for hitboxes? Best idea seems to be to use sphere colliders. 2D polygons would work too, but that would make create a hitbox viewer for the training mode difficult. Sphere colliders would be more akin to Melee, which is what I'm going for with this. Any thoughts on what I should use and the method?

Next is the model situation. The only thing about 3D modeling I know is CAD stuff, I'm certified in Solidworks. I have no clue how to create models for games, or animate them. The plan as of right now is to use sprites, and put in a model later, until I can hire someone to do 3D modelling/animating.

Until the base engine is close to completion, I'm also going to use a character already existing in Smash. The plan is to recreate Marth, his frame data, and his physics. I'm most familiar with Marth, therefore I can work to make sure he is accurate as possible, using his melee stats and my own experience to make sure he feels correct. This will produce the most solid end product.

Using Marth presents a dilemma, as I have no Marth model. I also cannot animate, if I were to obtain a Marth model. Therefore, the plan was to use Marth sprites. After seeing that there are no Marth sprites, I'm out of options, unless someone can provide a Marth model with the animations somehow built in. Or a full sprite sheet. Hell, pre-rendered Marth sprites (screenshots of melee, with Marth 'Shopped out of the rest of the picture) would work. Just something that represents Marth, as long as the hitboxes aren't visible.

Simply because I found a suitable sprite sheet, I've considered using Fox. The problem is I'm not a Fox player in the slightest, I'm not sure how to make sure he plays right, and that the engine is solid.

The TL;DR of this is kind of simple: What should I use for hitboxes? and, Can anyone provide me with a Marth model (any game) with Animations built in?

Last edited:

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
So you mean making a Smash Game in a 3D Enviroment?

...eh...I sorta...already got one planned out...
http://smashboards.com/threads/look...modelers-unity-3d-super-smash-bros-3d.414555/

Oh and everything is getting started. Just need models and animations like you do.

No. It's Smash Bros in a 2D environment. Like all the other smash games. However it's actually an original game, (meaning the end product will contain absolutely no previously copyrighted material, and could be sold) a la Rivals of Aether.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
I've been working in Unitty for a bit, so I can help with any questions about it that you have.
Sphere or box collider can work, it doesn't really matter. I'd just recommend finding a way so that the Z axis doesn't affect if the hitbox hits or not (Smash has a few cases of this), as it can throw people off.

For 3D modeling, you can go a few ways. Blender, 3DS Max, and Maya are what comes to mind for me. I personally use Blender (since it's free), but if you can I recommend 3DS Max or Maya. For Blender I followed this tutorial series (you don't need all of the videos, as some are related to the parts of Blender that aren't 3D modeling/animating), and just practiced. I haven't practiced human/organic modeling so I can't exactly help on that, but they're tons of youtube tutorials and such on it.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
Using 2d colliders will be less taxing, and if its on a 2d plain anyways no real reason not too.
When using 2d physics in Unity it basically calculates all interaction as if Z was zero. 2d Also uses vector 2's instead of vector 3's. So if you have no reason to use that Z axis stay with 2d components. Less taxing, easier math, etc.
Unity has also been upgrading the 2d physics like crazy, adding in extra components and tools, with more in the works too. Unity wants to be a great 2d engine, and it is shaping up to possibly be the best.

Also this might be helpful
http://smashboards.com/threads/complete-marth-hitboxes-and-frame-data.285324/

Top Bottom