• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some lessons from a tournament

R.Kefka

Smash Cadet
Just yesterday, I managed to take first at a local tournament with a respectable tournout (between 65-70 players). As you can probably guess, I was using MK.

My most interesting and difficult matches were against a Snake, a Kirby, and another MK. I also had a fight against a Lucario (which wasn't very hard at all) but I still learned some things there. Here are my "findings."

Snake: Up-tilt is absurd. There's a reason people call him an MK counter. I was only barely able to win, and this is how:

I focused on getting the first hit and then running. By staying at the end of the level, I could react to grenades and fake-out Nikitas, meaning I never took damage from projectiles. This means I didn't have any control over the middle of the stage, but that's okay. Snake's dash-attack-up-smash cancel thing is really hard to deal with if he can pass by you when he does it. By staying at the side, he wasn't able to do it very effectively.

Another problem: anytime I tried to combo him, he'd mash B. A lot of times he'd get a grenade out and we'd trade. Even though I did more damage, this still put me at a disadvantage because Snake is stupidly heavy, and I was very light. By making him approach *me*, however, I could guess when he'd tilt or jab, and it let me play the defensive game. The trouble with running, however, is that you have to always have the lead, which is hard against a character who can do so much damage.

Up-tilt: Dealing with this move is hard. My first trick for dealing with it was using neutral+b; if you tap and hang outside his range, you can trick Snake into up-tilting and missing. Then you can move in, pop him up, and pressure.

The other trick is dashing-shield. If you make him tilt your shield, you can drop it and dash-attack -> up-tilt, dash grab, or if you're *really* close, down-smash.

You can't outrange it with down-tilt or forward-tilt (I don't know about down-smash). If he starts slowly walking towards you, you can generally guess that he wants to tilt you. Don't let him; powershield, dodge, roll, whatever, and punish the lag.

For edgeguarding, you can n-air and up+b him out of his own up+b. The problem is if he cancels and pulls a grenade, you'll trade and he'll get some extra bounce to make it back. When we played on Smashville though, I could use the platform to edgeguard extra aggressively.

Lucario: i didn't learn much, but I want to point out a few things. First is that it's (usually) really easy to guess when somebody will counter. Usually, they come straight at you even when you could easily hit them first. This is because they *want* you to hit them. So don't. Run at them and throw up your shield (just to be safe), and trick them into countering, then get a free hit.

Lucario's down-air has really good horizontal range beneath his feet. It's weird. His up-smash also has a strong hitbox behind Lucario at the end of the animation. It's hard to describe, but I watched this same Lucario KO somebody when they ran in behind his up-smash.

Kirby: Kirby is an interesting fight; you have the slight edge almost everywhere, but if you aren't on your game and the Kirby is, he can make things even. He can very easily forward-smash through your tornado, and since it's so strong, you have to be very careful not to spam it.

Don't approach Kirby on the edge. There's no reason he should get a suicide suck, and if he has the edge he can start spamming up+b and canceling it. Be patient and wait for him to come back. If he has a percent/stock lead, then you can often bait a response using dashing shield; shield drop into a strong attack and try to get him off that edge.

MK: Dittos are hard :( and the MK I played was also good. The way to win this fight is to know what moves beat what other moves, and just guess what he'll do.

Forward-tilt, forward-air, and b-air: All of these beat the tornado.
Forward-tilt and down-smash beat an MK who dashes in.
Down-smash can be punished with another down-smash if you powershield. Otherwise, your best bet is to retreat or use a tornado (if you think he'll dodge afterwards).
Dash-attack -> up-tilt only works at around 30-40 percent; otherwise he can neutral-air you out of it.*
Rolls are very punishable: if you think he'll roll away, dashing up-smash or dash-attack. If you think he'll roll towards you, short-hop into neutral-air.
Almost nothing beats shuttle loop. If you think he's going to do it, don't challenge it.

*This lets you do a neat trick, however. If you dash attack, shield right afterwards; if the other MK tries to n-air or d-air, you can get a shield grab or shield-drop into an attack. In fact, something neat I did in an MK ditto was this:

Dash-attack, shieldgrab into down-throw, dash-attack -> up-tilt. I landed the actual combo by guessing how he'd try to get out of it, then doing it a moment later. By then, he was damaged and it was inescapable.

A final interesting fact about the ditto: I managed to get two kills by edge-hogging. This happened when he used both up+b and forward+b. His MK went into freefall kind of high above the level, and I waited for him to go to the edge. At the last moment, I ran off and grabbed the side, taking the edge from him and KO'ing him. I got stocks at 60 and 16 percent like this.

The reason I bring that up is because I think a lot of MK's try to get the edge after using certain moves. This can be safe, but also dangerous--the situation I described above is demonstrative of that fact.

Other general notes: A lot of MK's seem to have trouble KO'ing, but I don't. This is because at around 60-70 percent, I start grabbing and tornado'ing *a lot*. The goal is to reduce the decay on shuttle loop, glide-attack, neutral-air, and down-smash. Once the enemy is around 100+, you can start using your KO moves and they'll be refreshed, ready for action. I rarely have opponents who live past 140, and that doesn't take into account edgeguards and stage-spike KOs.

Also, forward-smash is really good because it pulls you back a little before you swing. You can trick people into attacking and then make them miss a tiny bit, landing your powerful forward-smash.

I hope all of that was interesting and helpful.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
Great read, Kefka! Thanks for your time to share your insight; and most importantly, Congrats on your victory! :)

Keep MK reppin'! :)

R.Kefka

Smash Cadet
I forgot to write in some stuff; there's a little more in the Snake section, and something at the end of the MK ditto.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
Kefka,

Did the Snake you played against not use Grenades consistently while on the ground, as well? This is usually a rough spot for me.

Killage

Smash Rookie
Wow thank you I have learned a lot from this :)

I hope to 1 day vs you so I can test out my skills. Atm I am just getting into MK :p

R.Kefka

Smash Cadet
HolyForce: He did, but as long as I had the lead I could stay away and react to them. Keep track of the timer so you know when any grenade he throws will detonate and not be surprised. Plus, as long as you know when they will explode, you can also catch them and use them the same way he does.

It helps to overestimate the explosion radius as well; just assume that if you are anywhere close, you will get hit. This keeps you from nasty grenade surprises.

Like I said before though, this is easier said than done. Snake is a hard fight in every way imaginable.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
Give us some vids Kefka! Lets watch and learn. The more we can see the more we can all improve.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Interesting read Kefta, Snake is my most difficult matchup, and I had to play against George's Kirby in the finals of a tournament and that was NOT easy as well. I've played few MK dittos, but they are also difficult.

Also, a very important fact when playing MK dittos: when both players are using tornado at the same time and then collide, the winning tornado (the one that goes through the opponent's tornado and damages the opponent) is the one which was created most recently. So if you start the tornado to attack, I can start the tornado right after, and my tornado will win.

EDIT: the same rules apply if you are fighting a Kirby and he has stolen your tornado ability, the last tornado made wins

I agree with Ringo, I want to see some videos of you playing. Congratulations on your win, and now I want to play you :)

TheYoster

Smash Journeyman
WOW you know your stuff.... You should play forte he posted up a hell of alot of MK video and hes dam n good. He won a bunch of tournaments. It'd be cool if you can give some feedback on his gameplay compared to yours.

Top Bottom