• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some food for thought on the subject of WoI

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. If you've been playing Pit for any length of time, most of what I have to say is going to be old news. However, it is a subject that I feel needs more attention.

Wings of Icarus has shielding/invincibility properties, however risky they may be.

That's the bottom line. It can shield and it's very good at doing just that. I'm terrible with words so I'm just going to link you to a video I made just now to speak for me. I apologize in advance for my continued lack of video quality.

>>Click Me<<

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well the blocking projectile thing has been know (has been mentioned in wingdashing as one source) as well as the ability to block any move (even a falcon punch) , but the invincibility frames is interesting. I didn't know that.

The only problem I have with using it to blocking melee attacks for the "fewer frames" idea is that it cancels their move also. It would have been more useful if they were not affected by the WoI counter.

Do you have the invincibility frames if started in the air?

NxC

Smash Apprentice
I've never gotten the invincibility frames while using WoI in the air. This isn't to say it doesn't exist, though. However, when I use WoI while airborne I usually have other things to worry about, such as getting back to the stage and avoiding projectiles.

As far as I've seen, the invincibility frames are in the time before the first light circle is emitted, but after the buttons have been pressed. I don't have time to test this right now, but I will later on.

Also, something I forgot to mention: like all things Pit does, you can angelic step out of this.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
How are you staying on the ground, or are you short hopping imperceptibally.

DiosDePyro

Smash Cadet
He's not moving up because the projectile/attack is cancelling out the WoI, kind of like Snake jabbing an AR and cancelling it out.

I did know it had an effect like this, but I never thought to use it like this. You're right, this definitely needs more attention.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I might be mistaken, but I think I've gotten SA frames at the start of a Wingdash before. Of course, what little credibility I have has been lost lately, so whether it's a glitch or my eyes are tricking me or whatever, it doesn't matter. But in case this is true, I just thought I'd point it out, because it means that under certain circumstances, a midair WoI has Super Armor.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Its not super armor because super armor means you take the damage but not the knock back. He didn't receive either one so it is invincibility.

Top Bottom