• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Egg Lay questions.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
First of all, is the minimum amount of time an opponent must stay in the egg less than or more than in Melee?

- I've been able to get a few hits from Bair, or sometimes a Uair after egg laying an opponent. Is that truly follow up, or was it a fault of my opponent?

- What stuff can you follow up with from egg lay?

Thanks for any help. I'd like to make egg lay a somewhat important part of my Yoshi game, so this will help.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Your opponent gets a few brief frames of invincibility out of the egg, making follow-ups a bit harder unless they do a laggy aerial out of it. Eggs are a nice guaranteed hit. Toss it slowly and you might get another follow-up in after the egg hits.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Your opponent gets a few brief frames of invincibility out of the egg, making follow-ups a bit harder unless they do a laggy aerial out of it. Eggs are a nice guaranteed hit. Toss it slowly and you might get another follow-up in after the egg hits.
I didn't know about egg throw, but I meant things that you can do while they are in the egg.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know about egg throw, but I meant things that you can do while they are in the egg.
It's risky to hit an enemy in the egg because they're free to counter-attack as they break out due to the aforementioned invincibility frames. If anything, do a quick b-air or egg toss and get the hell out before they come out. Try to stick to quick, rangy attacks.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I believe you can shorthop D-Air the egg if you time it right. Good for 20%+ damage if you hit it right.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Has Brawl changed the whole damage reduction thing when you attack an enemy who is egged?

I'd check myself, but I can't right now and I don't remember if it's the same in Brawl or not.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Great Topic

I've been pondering over this as well. I'd like to make the most out of egg lay in my game in order to dish out alot of damage. In 1 vs. 1 I haven't made a whole lot of use for it, but in 4 player free for alls I use egg lay more often in crowded groups. The reason for this is because if I don't get multiple hits while they're in the egg then hopefully someone else surrounding the egg will. Only danger to this is Yoshi can be easily hit while attempting the attack so it must be done coveretly.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Isn't the egg lay easily countered now? I rarely use it because I play 1v1's, but when I do use it, they always seem to willingly go in, but never actually do.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I dunno' what you mean, Miami. They can input the commands to get out of the egg as fast as possible, but I don't think you can avoid being eaten once you've eaten them.

The other possibility is that you are catching them with the very tip of the tongue, which draws certain characters towards you, but doesn't eat them.

Either way, it should be your initiative to get in an attack, not theirs.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I dunno' what you mean, Miami. They can input the commands to get out of the egg as fast as possible, but I don't think you can avoid being eaten once you've eaten them.

The other possibility is that you are catching them with the very tip of the tongue, which draws certain characters towards you, but doesn't eat them.

Either way, it should be your initiative to get in an attack, not theirs.
Ah, that's what it is then. I'd pull them toward me, then get confused because I think I'd lay them in an egg and instead I don't. I always thought that they knew something I didn't and were just avoiding being put into an egg with a specific button combo or something.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: Has Brawl changed the whole damage reduction thing when you attack an enemy who is egged?

I'd check myself, but I can't right now and I don't remember if it's the same in Brawl or not.
Opponents take 50% less damage while in the egg.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Can your opponent fast-fall right when they're breaking out of Egg Lay? I know they can do moves that immediately drop them (Bowser's DB for example).

Knowing the options your opponent has out of Egg Lay will help you decide what to do afterwards. If they can safely get out of it most of the time, I would just Egg Toss at them. But if they have these 4 options: air dodge, an unsafe move that drops them, DJing, and doing an aerial, you can mix up your approach according to his reactions.

If he air dodges, you can do something like a charged hyphen smash and wait for him to come out of dodge frames. If they do an unsafe dropping move, quickly avoid it and punish. If they DJ, you can Egg Toss or pursue them with aerials (Egg Toss would probably be safer though, always depending on the character you're facing). If they do an aerial, you pretty much get a free Egg Toss or uair depending on what aerial they used.

I'm just listing some of the things that could happen after Egg Lay. I don't go to tournaments (yet), and I've never seen Egg Lay being used professionally, but these are some of the things I've noticed from online play. Don't know if the "pros" know any other options than the ones I've mentioned above.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I've been using egg toss and Usmash (changing up timing with charges to beat airdodges) and it works fairly well. It's risky to go after them with an aerial because if they pop out they have invincibility and get a free hit on you.

You can also wait until they hit the ground and go or a grab, or jump and try to grab with another egg lay as they come out.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Well honestly I always Fsmash afterwards just incase it's the draw in instead of the egg lay cause I'm never fast enough to get an attack off otherwise, plus when it works you get mad props on it's sexyness.

Top Bottom