• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some basic questions

Kahazul

Smash Rookie
Okay, been running into a handful of issues in my Bowser play that I need to resolve...

First of all, when is it appropriate to grab rather than side-B? What advantages does a regular grab have over the klaw?

Secondly, what do you guys do to keep up the offense when you're sent flying? Bowser's down-B is hideously slow and his dair does crap damage and leaves you exposed. I find myself using down-B loads because the computer is horrible at avoiding it, but it's not a habit I want to get into. :dizzy:

Thankyas.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I'd say grab out of your shield, grab when you think you can get them out there for an edge-guard (so low-med % backthrows) down throw to follow is decent, but not as good as in melee. Up throw to follow can sometimes lead to a few more hits, as well.

When they are damaged, sideB. Not only can it actually kill at around 140%, but you can koopacide. Also, if you are up a life, use side B, for kicks.

regarding your second question. Try air-dodging ;) Or recovering from below as to auto-grab the edge. I'm not quite sure, but see if you can angle his fire completely down when in the air...that would be interersting-- the people I play still get hit bydown B though.

Also, a properly timed/spaced d-air can shield-poke, although I agree that it isn't the best attack to use.

B0NK

Smash Lord
When you have been knocked up in the air I find the airdodge to up-b a very useful approach. If you are up high you can always use your down-b to grab the edge safely just like in Melee. If your knocked off the stage usually the best thing is to just grab the edge. In some situations I find it useful to use up-b right into them so they take damage and you can usually follow up with a ftilt or dtilt.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd suggest airdodge to get under them if they're chasing you into the air and then play the ground mindgame with them. Charge an upsmash or quickly upsmash then shield. Most players seem to be baited into this and will try to aerial into you and hit your shield, at which point you immediately punish with an Up B on the ground right out of shielding.

It depends upon your opponent, though. Some are cautious enough to ALWAYS land to either side of a Bowser player because sharing the same space as a Bowser player should immediately equate a lot of pain.

Top Bottom