• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some advice, please?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Hello, I'm rather new to the tournament scene of brawl, I'm going to my second tournament in about a month's time, and I want to at least win a match... (I got owned-ish last time) So yeah, I'm coming to my fellow Mario's for advice.

To start off my need of advice, I'm going to ask how I deal with characters I've never played before. I know fireball spamming is a way to get it done, but that doesn't always work for me. (Particularly on those nasty Ice-Climbers) Oh yes, secondaries aren't an option, I fail with everybody but Mario... and I love him too much to HAVE a second.

More questions include.

-What are some of the easier ways to hit with F-Smash, I find it difficult to hit with sometimes, even after stunning with fireballs. (However, I have a less-difficult time landing U-Smash)

When attempting to do Up-B OOS, I nearly always fail, and then get punished. So I tend to stick with U-Smash OOS, which I get punished less for if I miss. Would you reccomend me using more Up-B OOS, and if so, what would be a good time to use it?

-My next question involves mindgames, which I really fail at. In most cases, I KNOW how to mindgame somebody, however, I'm unable to do it in the match, how would you reccomend incorporating mindgames into my playstyle?

-And, last but not least, I have trouble landing a hit after using FIHL on my opponent, what are good follow-ups after using FIHL on an opponent's aerial?

Thank you for your time and effort, even if you do not answer the questions. I am thankful even that you decided to read this. To those who answer, I thank you sincerely for answering my much-needed questions.

(Ohmigod, this is the 666th topic in the Mario boards... I win!)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
To start off my need of advice, I'm going to ask how I deal with characters I've never played before. I know fireball spamming is a way to get it done, but that doesn't always work for me. (Particularly on those nasty Ice-Climbers) Oh yes, secondaries aren't an option, I fail with everybody but Mario... and I love him too much to HAVE a second.
Alright, but you're going to learn how to plank and camp like a pro if you plan on using Mario against high-level DDDs.

-What are some of the easier ways to hit with F-Smash, I find it difficult to hit with sometimes, even after stunning with fireballs. (However, I have a less-difficult time landing U-Smash)
Try using stutter stepped Fsmashes to increase their range and see if that helps.

When attempting to do Up-B OOS, I nearly always fail, and then get punished. So I tend to stick with U-Smash OOS, which I get punished less for if I miss. Would you reccomend me using more Up-B OOS, and if so, what would be a good time to use it?
Up B OOS shield is good after PSing an atk when your opponent is close enough to land it.

-My next question involves mindgames, which I really fail at. In most cases, I KNOW how to mindgame somebody, however, I'm unable to do it in the match, how would you reccomend incorporating mindgames into my playstyle?
There's no way to truly learn mindgames and have them just work for you, it's all about experience and reading your opponent.

-And, last but not least, I have trouble landing a hit after using FIHL on my opponent, what are good follow-ups after using FIHL on an opponent's aerial?
Cape and Up B.

(Ohmigod, this is the 666th topic in the Mario boards... I win!)
You sir are the devil.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
One thing I notice you didn't mention was Dsmash. Personally, I use it a lot, since it's as fast as MK's (in the front anyway), and is great after a spot dodge. Maybe that's just me though.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if there's a list of all the moves that suffer from FIHL?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Thanks

And I'm considering it, I've been looking at the D3 forums to see who they're bad against, and which would be the easiest for me to learn. I want to optimize my Mario as much as possible, rather than have to do too much practicing with another.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I've heard Falco vs D3 is more or less an instant win for Falco.

Maybe you could try using just those two? (Though personally using only one character got me burned out on it, and now I can't stand playing MK, who was my old main...)

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'll check out the Falco boards, thanks.

My times of practice are limted, though, due to my Wii having the DRE of DOOM! I'm buying the Wii Disk Cleaner thingie from Nintendo this weekend.

So, if I do decide to pick up Falco, it will most likely be just for D3s, at least for this tourney.

Top Bottom