• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soma Cruz for Brawl!

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Soma Cruz

Game of Origin: Castlevania (Aria of Sorrow)

Company: Konami, 3rd Party

Role: Hero

Soma is a Nintendo-only Castlevania character, having starred in a GBA game as well as the Nintendo DS. He's also quite popular and stylish.

Bio: Soma Cruz is actually Dracula's reincarnation. His first major adventure takes place in the year 2035. He got trapped in Dracula's interdimensional castle, where he fought many hardships and learned about his power and dark heritage. Soma has the power to acquire and harness the power of souls, belonging to the monsters he defeats. Basically, he can sort of copy abilities not unlike Kirby, but the powers he gets are only based on the soul, not an exact copy of the monster's attack.

In Brawl, Soma should attack with various weapons (just like in the original games, they should materialize when he attacks, even if they're insanely big), and have soul attacks for his B moves. He keeps his ability to absorb souls, but I'll explain more about this later.

Character Stats

Weight: 3 / 5

Speed: 3 / 5

Strength: 3 / 5

Falling Speed: 3 / 5

Jumping: 3/ 5

Wow, how creative. He just has balanced stats. Picture him as having Marth's constitution, only heavier. Of special note is that he has an ability similar to Peach's Float; if you leave the jump button pressed in the air, he'll hover very slowly to the ground with a Flying Armor Soul materialized over his shoulders.

Soma's Dodge is fast and his "roll" consists of quick dashes and backdashes like in his original games, leaving shadows as he dodges.

A Moves

A – Soma delivers a quick jab. His A- combo is a flurry of punches that can trap the enemy just like Fox's and Link's.

Front Tilt – A fast roundhouse kick, has decent knockback.

Up Tilt – Soma throws an Uppercut. It comes out quickly.

Crouch Attack – A sweeping kick, good combo starter.

Dash Attack - Soma slashes rapidly with the Valmanway (a vortex of blades). Multiple hits, but a low knockback.

Smash Attacks

Up Smash – Death Scythe: Soma uses an oversized Scythe to slash upwards. It has a huge hitbox but isn't very fast. The Slash surrounds the enemy in dark energies (like ganondorf and Mewtwo's attacks in melee)

Front Smash – Claimh Solais: Soma produces a huge sword and slams it in front of him. The attack starts behind him and creates a huge slash arc, but it's a bit slow to come off. It sends the foe flying with a holy aura.

Down Slash – Great Axe: Soma produces a huge golden axe and spins it rapidly at his feet. It hits simultaneously on both sides and has great horizontal knockback.

Aerial Attacks:

Air Neutral: A short Spinning Kick in the air. It's weak but has decent priority.

Air Up: Soma's Uair consists in an Uppercut. It's a weak attack.

Back Air: Soma slashes backwards with an Army Knife.

Front Air: Soma waits a bit and slashes downwards with a Large Sword. The attack is a powerful Meteor Smash.

Down Air: He pulls out a Longinus' Spear and points it directly down. It creates a small shockwave of holy energies upon impact and is a very powerful, if slow, attack.

Grab and Throws

Soma reaches forward and grabs the enemy by the neck (if he has one). His grab attack is original in that it drains energy from the enemy (it decreases with repeated use, though) and adds energy to Soma if you press the button fast enough. The grab has poor range, however.

For all his throws, he discards the enemy and slashes them with one of his weapons, giving decent strength to his throws. His down throw is a Suplex Attack and doesn't slash the enemy.

Special B Moves

Up B – Giant Bat: Soma uses the Giant bat soul to morph into a bat. It's chargeable, and it launches off in any direction. It's very similar to Fox's Up B, but it isn't invincible while charging. It travels a decent distance and is very fast after releasing. (similar to the doppelganger's bat attack in Symphony of the Night)

Neutral B - Flame Demon: Uses the Flame Demon soul to launch three Fireballs in classic Dracula fashion. If you charge this attack he'll release a single, stronger dark fireball (also like Dracula's)

Forward B - Black Panther: just like in the original game, it's a quick dash that generates shockwaves as you advance. You can dash into a crowd and electrify a bunch of enemies and it's a decent horizontal recovery, but it is somewhat weak (hitting like samus' screw attack)

Down B - Dominance / Use Soul: Soma's most interesting move. Soma extends his palm and if he touches an opponent, he'll steal part of his soul. Each character will give Soma a different skill, but this is not like Kirby's ability: this gives Soma a variety of skills ranging from projectiles to shields and even status changes. As you're not absorbing the whole soul, it returns to the enemy after a number of uses (depends on the soul). For the active soul abilities, you use them with Down + B. Passive abilities are always active until they burn out.
Cannot copy the same foe's soul twice (at least until he dies and returns)

Some examples of souls:
- Bowser Soul: Makes you heavier, increasing resistence to attacks. Weakens your attacks.
- Ice Climbers Soul: Creates a Shadow of Soma that'll follow him for a while, mimicking his attacks.
- Mario Soul: allows you to throw Mario's Fireball.
- Peach Soul: ability to pull out vegetables from the ground.
- DK Soul: greatly increases your strenght, but you become much lighter.
- Yoshi Soul: Throws eggs in a fixed arc.
- Wario Soul: Gives Soma the ability to emit powerful farts.
- Fox Soul: greatly increases soma's speed, but weakens him slightly.

Final Smash

Abaddon Soul: Soma summons a giant swarm of locusts to the battlefield. You can direct the enormous cloud of insects anywhere on the screen (Soma stands stationary as you direct them) and they move with blinding speed greatly increasing your foe's damage meter.

(another final smash could be the Gergoth's Soul which launches a massive laser, but it would be too similar to Samus' FS)

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
theres already a Soma thread.

besides, Simon Belmont is better and more deserving for a Castlevainia rep
Maybe, but it wasn't in the Character Index Thread, and sillier characters have been suggested.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Of course i would prefer Simon, but there -was- a Simon thread already ^^

Caael

Smash Lord
Please, for the sake of my eyes, have the Dawn of Sorrow version.

Final smash could be to transform into
Menace, the final boss who Soma would have turned into if he didn't wear the tag to stop the spirits.

Soma for Brawl.

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
there are already threads for soma!

but, i would like to see him in brawl!

Simon is also a good option!

he's a nintendo oldie character!

susu_atari

Smash Ace
This is a really well thought out thread, though, I have to say, with some interesting ideas. I like the 'Use Soul' move. Very innovative. Good work!

courte

Smash Lord
stylish for brawl--give dante a run for his money

...my god that would be an epic fight Dante Vs. Soma; Batlle of the Pretty (Androgenous) Boys

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
Soma is still rather new to deserve to be in Brawl. If anything Alucard deserves more to be in.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
There are threads for Soma, including mine, but this one is WAY more detailed and well thought out then mine was. The only other Soma threads are MONTHS old and it would be pointless to bump them (mine included)

On topic, I HIGHLY support Soma for Brawl! I don't care if there are more "deserving" Castlevania characters, Soma's awesome and can EASILY have a move list thought up for him. Besides, who's to determine who's more deserving? I would love Soma in Brawl simply because he's an awesome character even if Simon or others are more "deserving of the spot."

Neutral B- Axe-Armor: Soma throws a battle axe horizontally across the screen, you can also angle it slightly like Samus' missiles.

Up B- Bat Company: Soma transforms into a bat and is able to fly for a few seconds before transforming back and falling straight to the ground.

Left/Right B- Aguni: Soma sends a sprout of flames across the ground, these are fast moving but easily dodged by jumping.

Down B- Frozen Shade: Soma fires three slow moving spears of ice that can be destroyed by basic attack.

Final Smash- Grand Cross: A giant blue flame shaped like a cross appears around Soma, damaging everyone in the attack's radius.

That was my move list from the really old Soma Cruz thread...it's obviously not as detailed but eh, it gets the idea across. (Wow...Soma Cruz for Brawl was my first thread *sniff* such good memories...)

courte

Smash Lord
Hippogryph Up+B for the win.

What'd be nice to see bat's with seeing as how he's, what, another form of dracula?? it'd been a while sice i played. Maybe he could use bat's to restore his health by attacking far away enemies

NEW IDEA-Side B: Bat Spot - Soma throws his arm straight out, and a bat comes flying out. He holds the stance and remote controls the bat. If it hits an enemy, it sucks a little blood spits it on the floor, and Soma teleports to that puddle.

Embrace the dark side

Soma is still rather new to deserve to be in Brawl. If anything Alucard deserves more to be in.
alucard does have that one major flaw though doesn't he--not appearing on a nintendo console

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
alucard does have that one major flaw though doesn't he--not appearing on a nintendo console
I hate to disagree with a fellow Soma fan...but Alucard appeared in Castlevania 3 (for the NES) as well as both Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow. Although he wasn't a main playable character in any of those as far as I know...(Although he was playable in Dawn of Sorrow in Julius Mode). And from what I just found out, he was also playable in Castlevania 3.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, but Simon is far more deserving, and I think 3 Konami characters may be pushing it, still it's not a bad idea at all.

courte

Smash Lord
wow i completely forgot about "Arikado"
i'd love to see him in brawl, howevermy opinion is still

Soma/Alucard>Juste/Julius/Simon... Any Belmont really... does that make me evil??

and i'd find it hilarious if a belmont appeared in brawl without tether recovery... is that wrong??

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
To me it seems like Soma or Simon are the most likely reps but due to my personal opinion, I'd choose Soma. I mean most quite a few other Castlevania characters have appeared on a Nintendo console as well as for other consoles (mainly Playstation). Soma however has ONLY appeared on Nintendo consoles (DS and GBA) and represents the newer Castlevania games. Obviously Jonathan or Charlotte would represent the NEWEST Castlevania game (for Nintendo at least, I know there's a new PSP one...) but I don't think their popularity matches Soma's.

Simon definitely has a bigger attachment to Konami and its developers.

But I would be very surprised if two Konami characters got in.

Unpleasantly surprised.

courte

Smash Lord
just my opinion--my favorable's

i have no idea, what is likely aside from all of your predictions :chuckle:

Simon_Belmont

Smash Apprentice
and i'd find it hilarious if a belmont appeared in brawl without tether recovery... is that wrong??
No no it's right! Perfectly right might I add.

On Topic: I think Soma would be a very unique character, just like any other Castlevania character (if you think Brawl-wise that is).

courte

Smash Lord
then again does anyone feel that the inclusion of simon would = "expensive cash for a char. that is dead retro??"

on top of that, seeing as how konami isn't contributing the most to nintendo nowadays, it's one thing to have one or two chars rep one franchise, but one char to each franchise of a developer would mean equal reps for each third party

his inclusion would make it jump from 3-4 to 6-8 potential 3rd parties. The only issue is could it be afforded?? no doubt that would make everyone happy, and i'm not knocking Simon in anyway, but would his presence mean each third party would recieve two franchises to rep??(I can't think of who sonic/sonic team would honestly put in-it would mean someone from a NOT sonic game--perhaps Nights considered the new game just game out but...)
Or would simon be entered under the fox hound logo?? (Tails/Knuckles/Etc fans fight, then only a few of you would rejoice and the others complain after a short while)
I'd imagine Capcom would choose V. joe But who's to tell
Square-Enix would be foolish to choose anyone but Sora and Geno, although any FF1-6 char would be beloved

Simon_Belmont

Smash Apprentice
then again does anyone feel that the inclusion of simon would = "expensive cash for a char. that is dead retro??"
Wait what Simon is NOT a dead retro. FYI he has had a game in 2001, albeit a remake of a previous one but it still counts. He has had a playable cameo in 2002's Harmony of Dissonance and another (non-playable) cameo in 2006's Portrait of Ruin. How can he be a "dead retro"? Dead retros were characters like Pit (IMHO he was dead until he recently got revived).

on top of that, seeing as how konami isn't contributing the most to nintendo nowadays, it's one thing to have one or two chars rep one franchise, but one char to each franchise of a developer would mean equal reps for each third party
Konami in general isn't contributing much to Nintendo, but Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo (KCET for short), the branch that (after 2001) is making every Castlevania game is mostly contributing to Nintendo. Even before KCET started taking over, we had Circle of the Moon (GBA), and after KCET's takeover, we got Harmony of Dissonance (GBA), Aria of Sorrow (GBA), Dawn of Sorrow (DS) and Portrait of Ruin (DS) plus a newly announced Castlevania in works for the DS. If that's not called contributing to Nintendo I don't know what is.

However, I am not arguing that Castlevania characters (Simon in particular) have a high chance or anything. And last of all, I'd like to quote the amazing WiseGuy:

We have Snake. One Konami representative is enough.

...is what I would say if I were a stupid head.
No offense.

courte

Smash Lord
awesome point mr belmont-i haven'tbeen recent in knowledge of old castlevania's--all in all lots of characters in brawl--i dare someone to flame that lol

Simon_Belmont

Smash Apprentice
awesome point mr belmont-i haven'tbeen recent in knowledge of old castlevania's--all in all lots of characters in brawl--i dare someone to flame that lol
I don't think I get what you mean.

...But it is simply true.

Why would Sakurai go to the same source for third party characters?
It's not like having a Konami character limits him from getting another Konami character.

courte

Smash Lord
i'd simply like to see 3-4 this time around
and perhaps 6-8 the next time around

Sonic, Snake, (Geno/Megaman)
w/etf sega/sonic team has left, a castlevania character with some homage to Soma/Simon/Alucard, Sora/Ryu??

Top Bottom