• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solution to stalling..

demodemo

Smash Ace
Sajun, when people are talking about stalling, i think they are most likely referring to metaknights edgecamping. no, its not running away, its just not moving. its camping on the ledge, jumping off and back to the edge occasionally to refresh invincibility frames. its punishing your opponent with an up b every time they try to get you to stop camping.

unless i'm wrong, and you guys are talking about characters running away, which is stupid because its not a legit strat on stages without loops

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I really do need to play someone who camps alot, to get an idea of how they pull it off.

I play D3 mostly and he's hella slow, but I still can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't be able to get close to a player, even someone like Sonic or Fox, you can head someone off eventually. Even if it took me a good 30 seconds to catch up to them I guess it wouldn't really matter. They are putting all their effort into staying away from me, while I'm putting my effort towards getting close and hitting them, eventually I'll succeed. Now that I think about it.. Jigglypuff could give probably keep away from D3 better than anyone else heh.

Anyways like someone above said, what's the point of going to a tournament just to waste 8 minutes or so of your life running away from the other player. The whole point is to fight the other player and win right? If you say that you'll do everything you can to win (even stalling), well then there are other games to play that don't involve fighting other players.

But oh well.
Hold a shield button and press A during your walk. You'll probably accomplish something good in your approach, especially against your "good" Ganondorf friend.

Also, it takes almost no effort to prevent your opponent from attacking you; or, at least, it takes a lot more to approach efficiently (unless you're Snake or Diddy or something).

Try looking up videos of Plank's Meta Knight. You'll see what we mean.

The prevailing idea in going to tournaments is WINNING, regardless of what is done. In countless other fighting games, landing a single hit and shamelessly running away for 99 seconds is a viable tactic. When you end up losing to someone that does that in a tournament, you're going to be the one regretting it, not your opponent.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
In countless other fighting games, landing a single hit and shamelessly running away for 99 seconds is a viable tactic.
Really? Which ones? And I'm not being facetious here. I'm genuinely curious which other fighting games have a similar problem.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Really? Which ones? And I'm not being facetious here. I'm genuinely curious which other fighting games have a similar problem.
I never said it was an outright problem; only that it was a viable tactic. A fair amount of matchups in Super Turbo come to mind (I played as Vega [Claw, for all of you specific sticklers], so I would know, XD).

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't this problem be solved by banning planking/stalling? If someone keeps re-grabbing the edge over and over waiting for the opponent to approach, then...

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Wouldn't this problem be solved by banning planking/stalling? If someone keeps re-grabbing the edge over and over waiting for the opponent to approach, then...
But what if your at like 100% and you want to get at least 1 free hit before you die? You just dont jump into the ****. But if its done to stall a match for a extended period then yes i agree. We must love the edge and use it to protect ourselves from pwnage not to stall.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
i have a question. When people get a percentage lead and stall the whole match wouldnt they go to sudden death. I would find out myself but my wii is in my parents room which is locked atm...
Sudden death is not played in tournaments; whoever is at lower percent going in to the sudden death is the winner.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
How can you be at different stocks in a sudden death >>
You misread that, going IN to sudden death.
That just means that they stall, even if they're at the same stock, but they have 30% less.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The_Prince said:
that kind of really ruins the whole concept of what is known as "skill".
it someone kind of really lacking it? *cough*herooftime*coughcough*
Sarcasm good sir, learn it, master it, eat it, and use it. It will help you over this tough terrain known as the internet.

Top Bottom