• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solo Samus Drills

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing for a few months now and I seriously lack in tech skill. I can accomplish most of Samus' "high level tech", but not consistently. Anyone have any good methods on practicing alone?

Morgue

Smash Cadet
I've only just started training super hard. My drills don't require an AI (yet)(but sometimes my roommate will hop in and drill some things too).

I recommend trying to make a goal. An example of that is 25 consecutive DJ Missiles canceled by platforms. So far, I have only gotten to about 6, because I only just recently started attempting these. My fingers are still being trained to be very quick. [Sidenote: I wasn't very good at short hopping with Samus before this, but now that I am getting used to pressing :GCY: stupid quick, I am unintentionally short hopping. Getting your fingers used to very fast inputs I think is key.

Consecutive training. It doesn't make sense to train something, but not CONTINUE to keep training. Give yourself a minimum of 30 minutes a day to drill certain things. If it's going to be a long drill session, try making other goals as well and alternate between different techs.

After destroying my fingers with DJMC w/ platforms, I try to attempt some Hylian Lowriders, or maybe Charge Shot turnarounds in mid-air if you are recovering facing the other direction from afar.

That's all I got. I only started drilling, but some of these things I have read in other posts or have heard from my friends.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash, wavedash, wavedash

I like to put a cpu on level 3, then wavedash up to him just close enough to make him throw out a move, wavedash back, wavedash back in, hit him with a tilt, then back off again. I tilt him across FD then edgegaurd. I find this made me much better very quickly as it really improved my spacing and mobility.

Now im mixing in down tilts aswell, and trying this strategy on level9s too. Its also a great way to warm up and improve your neutral game.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I've only just started training super hard. My drills don't require an AI (yet)(but sometimes my roommate will hop in and drill some things too).

I recommend trying to make a goal. An example of that is 25 consecutive DJ Missiles canceled by platforms. So far, I have only gotten to about 6, because I only just recently started attempting these. My fingers are still being trained to be very quick.
This is about all I have been doing. I've reached a point where I can fire off about 8 consistently. Like you, I was pretty terrible about Samus SH until I started working on it. Another fun thing I try it going to Icicle Mountain and practicing wavelanding on different heights of platforms.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
I mainly just practice wavelanding around on Battlefield. When I get to the floor, I do a MC. Also if I'm shorthopping up to a platform, I like to throw out an aerial to practice L-cancelling too.

Litt

Samus

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Practice this ****, and then you can say you are good at high level samus tech, till then keep practicing, (Yes I can do this all myself)
BUT SHFFMC IS HARD

Seriously that **** is hard. I think that's the only tech I have yet to accomplish even once.

Edit: Nvm just did it once. I guess I'm a top tier Samus now!!!

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
BUT SHFFMC IS HARD

Seriously that **** is hard. I think that's the only tech I have yet to accomplish even once.

Edit: Nvm just did it once. I guess I'm a top tier Samus now!!!
Doing it once doesnt prove you a top tier samus, doing it consistently doesnt prove it either, phanna was barley a top samus despite mastering it all, what makes you a top samus is results, and if you have none to speak of, you shouldnt be bragging. The best way to find out if you are a top samus is from someone else or winning events, rather than wanting it to happen, chill out, practice and if you are good enough people will recognize, till then just shut up and practice your tech.

Edit: no **** it is hard Sherlock... its called advanced for a reason...

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Haha! I knew you would respond in that way dude. Take a breather man it was a joke.

Top Bottom