• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solo mainable viable characters?

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
In Melee, it's pretty well established that the top 8 are definetly solo mainable, but what characters can win a major or national in Smash 4?

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
On the current 4BR tier list, the entire S and A tier are widely considered solo viable, with a few high tiers being considered viable as well depending on who you ask (like Pikachu, Marth and Mega Man). However, a lot of people say that it's never optimal to solo main even if you can, just because of the sheer quantity of matchups in this game.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
On the current 4BR tier list, the entire S and A tier are widely considered solo viable, with a few high tiers being considered viable as well depending on who you ask (like Pikachu, Marth and Mega Man). However, a lot of people say that it's never optimal to solo main even if you can, just because of the sheer quantity of matchups in this game.
How does the quantity of match ups affect the viability of solo maining?

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
How does the quantity of match ups affect the viability of solo maining?
This game is basically--at least, many people consider it to be--one extremely large counterpick. What I mean by that is that almost every character and anti-character that can beat them soundly. For example, Metaknight is considered by Seige to be a counter to Rosina, Ms. Supremely Solo Viable. What character do you play?

Squidoshi

Smash Rookie
Yoshi for me, just got moved from C to D on 4BR tier list. But I play him because I like him not because he's high tier, haven't had the opportunity to go to tournaments yet, wondering how he'd be in the competitive scene.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
Yoshi for me, just got moved from C to D on 4BR tier list. But I play him because I like him not because he's high tier, haven't had the opportunity to go to tournaments yet, wondering how he'd be in the competitive scene.
I might be slightly biased, since one of the PR in my region solo mains Yoshi, but at this point in the meta, I'm of the opinion that Yoshi is totally solo viable up to and including the high level (i.e, state/regionals). At the top level he probably has a few too many losing MUs, but up until then he's really good, especially since most people don't know the MU. If Yoshi is your favorite character, I'd say go for it! Enjoyment of a character always goes further than tier placement until the top level.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Short answer: We don't really know yet.

Slightly longer answer: We're 2 years into a relatively new meta, which has also changed since the arrival of patches and DLC which have obviously shaped and shifted our metagame a TON. As a result, we're still not even sure at this stage who our best character is, and we don't know exactly who it is our meta revolves around. Due to that, it's difficult to tell who's actually viable, and there's enough variety in this game that it's possible to make it through a bracket without facing your worst MUs, whilst in other scenarios you get the worst bracket luck imaginable. Our meta is also currently dominated by strong players, who have shown they can utilise a large variety of characters' tools to win large-scale events, and to add to all that, there are completely different metas in different places in the world - most notably Japan. Whilst we do have a rough idea of our top and lower tiers, and perhaps can even take a stab in the dark and call a few of them solo viable and others not so solo viable, for the most part we won't really know who will survive when the dust settles, or heck, if the dust will even settle in the first place.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
:rosalina::4sheik::4cloud::4diddy::4mario::4fox:roughly in that order. Best characters in the game, in my opinion. These are the most solo viable characters. There are probably many more that are just solo viable.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
To be honest: Any character in this game is solo viable if you grind enough. Sure: this game has a lot more matchups you need to learn when compared to previous entries, but also when compared to those, you have no unwinnable matchups and bad matchups are still definitely playable, so it might just be on your best interest to stick to one character, whatever it might be, and grind everything. Most of the people who have been winning tournaments are solo mains or solo mains with an occasional pocket.
I used to play :4mario:, which is widely considered one of the best solo main characters out there, but ever since I switched to :4lucina:, I'm yet to feel like I'm really losing anything MU-wise.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
:rosalina::4sheik::4cloud::4diddy::4mario::4fox:roughly in that order. Best characters in the game, in my opinion. These are the most solo viable characters. There are probably many more that are just solo viable.
Bayonetta, Mewtwo, and Zero Suit Samus should make that list too. And honestly Rosalina is looking shakier and shakier as a solo top tier, with Dabuz often switching off Rosalina and relying more on Olimar to make comebacks in sets, and now he's starting to dabble in Bayonetta.

IMO, the characters most capable of winning majors are Diddy, Bayo, Sheik, Sonic, Cloud, Fox, Mario, Mewtwo, ZSS, Rosalina, Mega Man, Meta Knight, and Marth, from ascending to descending order. Even the characters that aren't in that list can still place well in majors.

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
Anything in the S and A tiers in the 4BR tier list is solo mainable, IMO. But just in case, you may want to play a few other characters to get around some bad matchups.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Basically, no matter who you main, you'll want a secondary because of the size of the roster. Since there are so many characters, there's always at least one who can counter your tools and give you a hard time.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
"Solo viable" is also quite subjective to how you perceive viability. Whether it means winning majors, or top 16/32 at majors with some consistency, etc

I think the top 20 are all solo viable, because they can all do well at tournaments. But as others have said, secondaries are the future

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Imo, solo viable is any character with that has all winnable MUs. Can't be anything worse than 2-8 MUs, or even 3-7 MUs.

You don't actually need a secondary if you don't want one.

Squidoshi

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the replies! been playing for maybe a month after getting back into it, and joined a 34 man tournament. I main Yoshi, he's always been my favorite character even out of Smash. Even though he's top D on 4BR, he's still fun to play. I got 18th and that was my first tournament. I feel really good about it and I'll continue to practice him and hopefully bring him to majors for fun! But I'll most likely pick up a secondary, but after I have more hours on Yoshi.

Top Bottom