• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solo Main Bowser?

Dunharrow

Smash Cadet
Is it viable in a game with so many characters to solo main someone like bowser? it seems like he is in a good spot and I have the most fun on him. I've considered solo maining Bowser but Im not sure if its viable in a game with so many match ups.

Any thoughts?

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
google chrome and wario/other combo boios maybe rob dark sams mii gun duckhunt for second

smoulder

Smash Rookie
Its always good to have a secondary, in all cases I think. Especially since bowser has a lot of losing matchups. e.g- Palu, swordies could be tough, k rool, etc

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
Its always good to have a secondary, in all cases I think. Especially since bowser has a lot of losing matchups. e.g- Palu, swordies could be tough, k rool, etc
yup and those are the easiest counter picks to learn

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've heard the Pits are good choices for secondaries because they do a nice job stuffing projectile characters, which is where Bowser is going to struggle the most.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I think many professional players are in agreement that solo maining in Ultimate is going to be extremely difficult as the average skill level increases. And without an overcentralizing character like Smash 4's Cloud/Bayonetta options, I think they're right. I think it's okay to solo main at this point since the meta is so underdeveloped and focusing on one character and they're unique options against matchups is a good call if you want to place well.

Bowser's definitely well rounded enough to consider the prospect of being a serious main. Great speed stats, great kill power and damage, every attack has a purpose. We've seen him as pocket choices from great players in recent major tournaments. His Up B updates make him way less helpless offstage in a game where offstage edgeguards are much more viable. He benefits more from engine changes than any veteran character I can think of. The new attack armor isn't fantastic but certainly interesting for creating mixups. The Fire Breath update gives him a much better mid to long range option, taking away the pressure of always having to approach or space with his sword arms. And his frame 6 air grab on side B is insane. I can't imagine wanting to switch, personally.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Is it viable in a game with so many characters to solo main someone like bowser? it seems like he is in a good spot and I have the most fun on him. I've considered solo maining Bowser but Im not sure if its viable in a game with so many match ups.

Any thoughts?
Absolutely. Absolutely you can solo main bowser.

Hard MUs will always be a thing and counterpicks may be a temporary relief. But eventually, skill and adaptability shines through, which you'll need good grasp on your secondaries or other characters to response properly.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
As a Bowser player in my region with fairly good results...(just took 2nd at my last tournament)

Maybe. But it's really difficult to do so. Some MUs like Isabelle and Falco come to mind as troublesome.

A fantastic secondary is Pichu. Covers all of Bowser's bad MUs very well. Highly, highly recommend.

Last edited:

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
I just want to say, if solo maining ever becomes nonviable, then that implies there are some extreme balance and/or core game design issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom