• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solar Powered = Over Powered? Ivysaur Got Worse in Project M

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur, even though they dropped Bullet Seed, is still one of the cheaper characters of the game, especially considering his new healing abilities and stunning Seed Bomb. Synthesis is just too much, and then comes Solarbeam.....if someone manages to tell me why Ivysaur isn't cheap then I applaud you.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Ivysaurs tether can be gimped or at least punished, you only get 10% average per stock so just imagine Ivy is heavier -,- Ivy can be rushed down sometimes, ivy is one of the characters having more problems with being stuck on platforms, and the combo game decreased a bit since 2.6
If you have problems with the Matchup, learn it and exploit her weaknesses...

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
All characters have their weaknesses, and I will admit Ivysaur has a bit more than others. Sort of a cover-up hidden well under an anti-air beast. I have no problems fighting him/her/I don't know, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous they made.....it.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Since "cheap" is defined by you, I don't see any reason why anyone should try to dissuade you. Either play the game or don't, that's the only real choice you've got.

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
Hey, no reason to quit just because of one little thing. I'm all good.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
#stopcomplainingaboutbalancedcharactersalready
This is a terrible idea. There needs to be a discussion about character balance. Even if that comes with all the people bad at figuring out how to counter stuff whining about everything.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
There needs to be a discussion about character balance. Even if that comes with all the people bad at figuring out how to counter stuff whining about everything.
Ding ding ding.So, maybe we can pull some good discussion out of this threadTo grab something from the general discussion thread.
I think he's only really vulnerable from below because of how slow his Dair is. People will call his ability to heal himself OP or gay or broken or whatever, but his healing moves are either difficult to land (Dair, Usmash, Pummel [because his grab isn't that great]) or unsafe (Neutral B). Uair seems easy to land, and is part of what makes his juggling game, imo, his best aspect.
In particular, Neutral B, while the most obvious, just isn't useful as it looks at first glance. Best case scenario you use it after taking a stock, where you can get maybe 5-8% if your opponent doesn't come chasing you down asap (And if they don't thats their mistake.) In-combat it's pretty unusable unless you have the slightest bit of time while edge guarding. It's easily punished, and it heals very slowly, relating this back to EmLeingGod and balance, I feel like this move is balanced just fine. It gives the player the ability to take advantage of Ivy's unique mechanic without needing an opponent to hit.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
The most powerful thing about neutral B is that it forces the opponent to approach. I think it's a little underused (but only just) in that context.

Top Bottom