• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

M!nt

Smash Champion
I just want to let you guys know, that you're all wonderful, sexy, smart people and I love you all! c:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
LOL the cencored *** = first 3 letters of japan. Pretty sure 99% of people in my generation don't know it's considered derogatory
When me and my friends use jalapenos while cooking we call them **** (pluralized first 3 letters of japan). Desensitizing words is the best. Best way to change the meaning of a word: make it the mascot of a pro team! Hail to the Redskins.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I know this is old news and that not everyone here follows sports but what do you guys think about the NFL player who said he was bullied and called derogatory names? Has anyone here ever been bullied?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I know this is old news and that not everyone here follows sports but what do you guys think about the NFL player who said he was bullied and called derogatory names? Has anyone here ever been bullied?
That is a weird situation. Martin, the player who was "bullied" also sent messages back to the "bully" with virtually the same language. He claims he did it to get along or fit in, but the act of him doing that leads others to believe he's okay with it, after which point you can't really blame them. If he had right off the bat said "guys i'm not cool with this" and they had still continued (which I think they would have) I would think this was a bigger deal. As is it seems like guys fooling around in sports locker rooms like they do, calling each other names and **** like that, and then one guy seemingly out of the blue snapped. Incognito, the "bully", has been in contact with Martin since the allegations and Martin I believe said "I don't blame you man, its just the whole culture really" (paraphrasing). Sounds more like he didn't like dealing with the alpha male culture of the NFL. I don't blame him, whenever I hang around with the local ex-hs football players I can only do so for so long because they are exactly like that.

I was bullied in elementary school for a couple years. Nothing physical, just verbal stuff and one or two kids telling other kids not to hang out with me. Their were like 1 or 2 days where it got to me, but other than that it was fine because its not like they controlled the whole class. I always had friends, so I was fine. My most vivid memory was when the 1 kid in class who didn't like me hanging out with his friends was absent, so me and my friends played football with them that day. I was a smart kid (I guess hence the bullying) but I was also athletic, something they didn't know, so I made some good plays. The next day when the kid was back in class I overheard him talking to his friend who said:

His friend: "man he [me] was fast!"

Him: "You let him play?!" (probably loud enough for me to hear on purpose)

And I'm just thinking, dude, you're a ****. Though probably in much less vulgar, 4th grade word choice. He would always try to exclude me from things. His parents were in the middle of a divorce at the time (which I learned later), I suppose he was just angry idk. Very rarely did it get to me, but being excluded from things for no reason is not fun.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I think it started out as a "friendly" thing but I believe Martin finally became tired of it and Incognito didn't get the memo. Only so many times you can call a black guy a ni**er and it still be funny. If I was in Martin's situation I probably would of handled this issue in a different manner, i.e punching his teeth out but I think Martin made the right choice to just report him.

I was sorta verbally bullied in elementary because I was the biggest kid but it didn't bother me that much since I could beat everyone's A$$.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Possible, though if that's the case it seems Incognito was not the only person who didn't get the memo. According to the players (who may be just defending themselves of course), this whole thing seemingly came out of nowhere. If this is true, I don't blame Incognito for not getting the memo, because that would mean Martin didn't do a good job of letting people know, if he even tried to at all.

Also Adrian Peterson said today how non blacks using the N-word is fairly common in the NFL, and its just the culture. Not a culture of racism (though I'm sure there are racists in the NFL as there are everywhere), but of everyone just giving everyone a hard time, all the time. In that very small culture, certain things are acceptable that we don't consider acceptable in general as a society. Don't get me wrong, Martin has every right to be able to go to work and not be called a N-word every day, but in a culture where that is actually the exception, not the norm, he's gotta be the one to make that clear. And I suppose he did make that clear when he left the team and told the NFLPA and such, but I don't think that was a good first step. Face to face with Incognito and anyone else would've been my first move, and then if that didn't work go higher up. Either way, it doesn't appear that Incognito knew before this whole thing that Martin was taking it so hard, and he was using Martin's reactions to see this. And by his recent text messages, Martin doesn't blame Incognito either.

kys

Smash Ace
I'm a big Dolphins fan and I played football so I'll weigh in on the situation.

The first thing, as Clubba pointed out, is that the context of the locker room is MUCH different than the context of regular society. To be honest, what was released about what happened is child's play compared to everything else that goes on in the locker room. What you saw in the media is only scratching the surface. And it's similar in many other locker rooms as well.

Taken out of context, the voice mails and anecdotes sound awful. But it's really not that bad.

Everyone pokes fun at each other in the locker room. But occasionally you'll get a guy who has some bad stuff going on outside of the locker room, and he'll snap. One time there was an incident where my coach had to get involved, and I can tell you that absolutely outlandish, completely false accusations were made. Some people can't handle it after a while and they snap and ridiculous things get said. I'm assuming this happened to some extent and Martin handled it poorly.

I think Incognito's role is the idiot who can't pick up on social cues and didn't know when to stop. And because everyone handled it poorly, it got out and became a national story. I would lay down some serious cash that this kind of thing is commonplace in NFL locker rooms, but now it's getting a spotlight and I wonder what's going to happen in the future.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I'm a big Dolphins fan and I played football so I'll weigh in on the situation.

The first thing, as Clubba pointed out, is that the context of the locker room is MUCH different than the context of regular society. To be honest, what was released about what happened is child's play compared to everything else that goes on in the locker room. What you saw in the media is only scratching the surface. And it's similar in many other locker rooms as well.

Taken out of context, the voice mails and anecdotes sound awful. But it's really not that bad.

Everyone pokes fun at each other in the locker room. But occasionally you'll get a guy who has some bad stuff going on outside of the locker room, and he'll snap. One time there was an incident where my coach had to get involved, and I can tell you that absolutely outlandish, completely false accusations were made. Some people can't handle it after a while and they snap and ridiculous things get said. I'm assuming this happened to some extent and Martin handled it poorly.

I think Incognito's role is the idiot who can't pick up on social cues and didn't know when to stop. And because everyone handled it poorly, it got out and became a national story. I would lay down some serious cash that this kind of thing is commonplace in NFL locker rooms, but now it's getting a spotlight and I wonder what's going to happen in the future.
I agree with what your saying. I didn't play football but I played baseball and I recall all the stuff we would call each other, even the coaches saying some questionable things. I just watched an interview with Richie Incognito and it seems like it was blown out of proportion. He said if Martin would have just came to him and said stop, this whole thing wouldn't be happening. Other players in the NFL are coming out of the woodwork with bullying allegations now.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
my friends brother was on practice squads in the nfl for the past 4-5 years, though he recently retired because its very stressful (you could get cut any week and be out of the job). He was getting out of an ice bath when Ben Roethlisberger made him stay in because he was a rookie. Apparentyl Big Ben is a ****, though I'd wager that applies to > 50% of pro athletes.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
i'm really surprised that there's bullying between teammates in pro leagues, aside from rookie hazing.

I love football but football players are a bunch of meatheads, that's why I like cheering for the big family called the MIAMI HEAT. best environment ever.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't know why it keeps being unread. Fireblaster had the same issue.

The only girl in the team is the only one without power lol. Good job sexist Americans.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Cap doesn't have inherent super powers but obtains them from the super soldier serum he's given.

Pretty sure Hawkeye doesn't have super powers though.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
good point

hulk was blasted with gamma rays and had to learn to control his power

the only character who was actually born with super powers was thor and half the team don't even have super powers at all

M!nt

Smash Champion
I think he's talking about stuff like netflix? Do they have stuff that's out in theaters?

Sangoku

Smash Master
You know theres this thing called the internet, and you can watch movies on it without having to wait for the DVD.
I don't want to watch a dude filming the theater with his damn camera. Unless you can watch the film in high quality before the DVD is out. Anyway, this is getting illegal, so let's try to stop the discussion lol.

Top Bottom