• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So why is this the most balanced officially released Smash game?

Quillion

Smash Hero
If I'm correct, I think it's because of wavetechs and other stuff, everyone is closer in speed to one another compared to every other Smash game.

And it doesn't have overly cheap chain grab and lock options that lead to uneven match ups like in Brawl.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Smash 64 and probably Smash 4 are the most balanced Smash games. Melee is 1 of the least balanced competitive fighting games ever

SAUS

Smash Ace
The thing that matters is that there is so much room for skill in this game that the better player can find ways to beat lesser players with whatever character. There's just so many ways to outplay your opponent that you character choice doesn't matter for a very long time in skill development (unless it's a blatantly terrible character like kirby or something).

Ultimately, it is that there is so much room for skill that matchups don't matter that much (until a very high level play where a very low amount of people are at).

MvC2 would like to have a word with you.
Are there any competitive FGs more imbalanced than Melee, Brawl, and MVC2? Those 3 have lots of 90:10 matchups (assuming matchups are a thing in MVC2)

skill gaps
That's is part of it. The other part is the degree of variances between matchups. Half of everything changes when 1 of the characters change. 1 of the strengths of playing uncommon characters is the opponent's unfamiliarity

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
MvC2 would like to have a word with you.
IDK man, MvC3 Zero is seriously a God among the rest of the mortals in that game (especially with the right team). Man... I love Zero as a character, but I hate him so much in MvC3. But back on topic!

In a perfect world (20XX), ya, Melee is not very balanced, if everyone could play at a perfect level then it would be Fox everywhere right? While possibly true, I don't think perfect level play is achievable, which is what I love about many video games, there's always room for improvement. What I like about character balance in this game though, is the amount of tools the majority of the cast has thanks to their moveset and the techniques you can use. In the future games, there is less freedom, so you are really locked down to what your character has in their arsenal. Balance is a weird word to me, I'd say I like how the game "plays" for everyone (well mostly everyone, but hey its hard to make a perfect game).

Also, I really like character weight, it makes a big difference. You are either a paper like Samus or you drop like lead with Fox, which is both bad and good given the match-up. That's pretty cool in a fighting game. There isn't much weight in the other games... but that's just 1 extra factor.

Side note: I always thought if SF4 had 20XX, would Dhalsim be the only character? Long range poke for ground, mid, and anti-air as well as a teleport and fireball. In perfect play, that sounds like everything you need.

SAUS

Smash Ace
That's is part of it. The other part is the degree of variances between matchups. Half of everything changes when 1 of the characters change. 1 of the strengths of playing uncommon characters is the opponent's unfamiliarity
That is true as well, but the low tiers would have to not suck enough for that to still matter. Not saying that melee has more balanced mid and low tier characters than other games or anything, but they are balanced enough, imo, to make the game interesting when they are present.

Also, I really like character weight, it makes a big difference. You are either a paper like Samus or you drop like lead with Fox, which is both bad and good given the match-up. That's pretty cool in a fighting game. There isn't much weight in the other games... but that's just 1 extra factor.
I think you meant falling speed. In Smash games, characters have both traits anyways. Samus is 1 of the heaviest characters and Fox is 1 of the lightest. It can make intersting combinations

Side note: I always thought if SF4 had 20XX, would Dhalsim be the only character? Long range poke for ground, mid, and anti-air as well as a teleport and fireball. In perfect play, that sounds like everything you need.
Dhalsim was never good. His health is too low. Players could trade against his stretchy attacks and make Dhalsim die 1st. He can't even combo well. I think Evil Ryu is closer to being a 20XX Fox. Both of them die easily and are clearly the best in TAS and probably human level play. ERyu has a lot of 1 frame links that can make his combo ability absurd

JustYuck

Big Tipper
This has been coming up a lot lately over here, and again the best term I have heard to describe it is "beautiful accident". Melee has almost perfect balance. The best fox player could play the best DK player and lose if they had never learned how to deal with that particular opponent as DK before. The variety of ways to play makes it ultra-balanced, and if you think I am wrong you completely have the right to think that but that is just one opinion.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Balanced my eye. The only true balance has been seen among the Top Four characters. Everybody else won't haven any real chance of winning any nationals, regionals, or even locals that are big like S@X or TourneyLocator's Melee Monday. They may "place" somewhere in the Top 8, but that's about it. I mean, sure you could play as a character that people are unfamiliar with fighting against, but that sort of thing only really works in pools and doesn't fly against players with strong Smash fundamentals with their more "balanced" character like Fox. Two players of equal skill except one's a Fox and the other is a Young Link. Young Link isn't winning. End of story. Smash 64 is the most balanced entry of the official games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Balanced my eye. The only true balance has been seen among the Top Four characters. Everybody else won't haven any real chance of winning any nationals, regionals, or even locals that are big like S@X or TourneyLocator's Melee Monday. They may "place" somewhere in the Top 8, but that's about it. I mean, sure you could play as a character that people are unfamiliar with fighting against, but that sort of thing only really works in pools and doesn't fly against players with strong Smash fundamentals with their more "balanced" character like Fox. Two players of equal skill except one's a Fox and the other is a Young Link. Young Link isn't winning. End of story. Smash 64 is the most balanced entry of the official games.
This ain't Brawl, man.

It's about the placing, not the winning. The high skill cap makes it more about placing.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Melee is 1 of the least balanced competitive fighting games ever

Please take a moment to realise that over the course of history, hundreds of fighting games have been released, and 90% of those are games that no one plays or cares about like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition. Even if we limit ourselves to only the ones that are well known, the Top 10-15 spots or so are already reserved by Capcom, with maybe Brawl and a few others in there, well before Melee comes into the picture.

Please take a moment to realise that over the course of history, hundreds of fighting games have been released, and 90% of those are games that no one plays or cares about like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition. Even if we limit ourselves to only the ones that are well known, the Top 10-15 spots or so are already reserved by Capcom, with maybe Brawl and a few others in there, well before Melee comes into the picture.
We're both thinking of ones that had active tournament scenes, right? Tell me names

JediLink

Smash Ace
We're both thinking of ones that had active tournament scenes, right? Tell me names
Well that's conveniently narrowing it, now isn't it? That would mean that anything that never gained momentum because of crappy balancing suddenly doesn't count as an example anymore. If that's what you meant, that's what you should have said.

Melee's balance is pretty darn good in the scheme of things. The fact that amazing players like Axe and aMSa are getting the results their skills deserve is really what it's all about.

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
In melee, among the top 15 players we see Fox, Falco, Puff, Peach, Sheik, Marth, Pikachu, Yoshi, Falcon, IC's.
Even in the top 6 players we see them using 6 different characters (the first 6 in the above list).
Among those, the better player wins, or the one playing better at the time. Fox has an edge in some of those MU's, but that rarely stops the better player from winning. The top 5 (right now 6) players have been so consistent with these characters over the past 5 years, each beating the other top players frequently enough, that it indeed is a very balanced game.

If, however, by balance, you mean that you can use any character you want, even characters intended to be bad, the game is not balanced. But only newer players seem make that argument. If we are talking about the usable characters, and there are at least 6 of them that can consistently win a major tournament, the game is very balanced.

Chances are at your skill level all the games are balanced. Back home I would play with my buddies and we would basically stay within the characters of: falcon, ylink, luigi, falco, pikachu, doc, fox, marth, and ganon, and they were all even to us. Falco might have been slightly better due drill shines and crouch cancel to fmash(at least in our group at the time), but that rarely ever stopped the one who played better from winning.

So chances are at your level, and if you played for a long time practicing, melee would remain pretty balanced among most characters if you played with people around your same skill. As you got better, you'd notice the game remains pretty balanced among the top 6-10 characters, with the top 6 specifically among the very best players.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
If I'm correct, I think it's because of wavetechs and other stuff, everyone is closer in speed to one another compared to every other Smash game.

And it doesn't have overly cheap chain grab and lock options that lead to uneven match ups like in Brawl.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's not. Melee didn't get to where it is by being the most balanced game, there's a ton of characters you will never see win a tournament(or at least very rarely). It got to where it is because it has a lot of deep and complex techniques that make it very good to play and watch competitively. I'd say 64 was the most balanced (but that's easy when there isn't many characters), with smash 4 coming in 2nd. Melee is still miles ahead of brawl in terms of balance, but is head and shoulders above all other titles in terms of depth.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
GG has weight:

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Damage_(GGACR)#Gravity

lol what the hell are you talking about

No one brought up random kusoges, they were clearly talking about games that have strong tournament scenes. The vast majority of FG's stop getting played once the new version drops so putting them in your list is disingenuous.

As someone who plays traditional FG's, Melee is definitely in the upper-end of unbalanced games. Truthfully, Melee is a kusoge, it's just a really good kusoge. In most FG's that people actually care about, losing at the character screen is rare, not common for half the goddamn cast. Usually nearly every character is useable--yeah some characters are clearly better and some are just plain ass, but you can still win.

Melee's top-tiers dominate the metagame in a way that most FG's would find utterly alien.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
64, but Melee ain't too shabby. Especially amongst the top tier. I'm of the opinion that your game is only as balanced as its best character. By that measure, Fox isn't that terribly out of line with Falco, Marth, Sheik, Falcon, Puff, Peach, ICs, etc. Whereas Meta Knight and Diddy have a bigger gap between them and the rest. 64 was more counterpick based though. By that I mean characters hard counter one another more often, whereas any top tier can play another top tier and do alright in Melee.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Smash 64 and probably Smash 4 are the most balanced Smash games. Melee is 1 of the least balanced competitive fighting games ever
Melee is VERY well balanced given the type of gameplay it caters towards (i.e. chaotic 4 player FFAs). Moves like Falcon Punch or the entire character of Bowser were clearly not intended for a 1v1 setting. I'd say the fact a good 12 or so characters survived the jury-rigging process of competitive play is rather impressive.

And while 64 and Sm4sh are more "balanced" in the literal sense, I'd argue Melee might be more balance in an abstract one because players have more options. The slower and more linear nature of the other smash games tend to make RPS relationships readily apparent or unavoidable whereas similar situations tend to remain ambiguous in Melee.

JediLink

Smash Ace
As someone who plays traditional FG's, Melee is definitely in the upper-end of unbalanced games. Truthfully, Melee is a kusoge, it's just a really good kusoge. In most FG's that people actually care about, losing at the character screen is rare, not common for half the goddamn cast. Usually nearly every character is useable--yeah some characters are clearly better and some are just plain ***, but you can still win.

Melee's top-tiers dominate the metagame in a way that most FG's would find utterly alien.
It's obviously not fair to compare Melee to the modern era, especially one that allows balance patches. But if we're talking about the most unbalanced fighting games ever, Capcom being being the king of the genre for so many decades while also having the kind of brilliant minds that would make Vergil's Helm Breaker 0 on block doesn't give Melee a chance of being anywhere close to the top.

Last edited:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Balance of a game depends solely upon the number of viable characters. Within Melee, you have very few viable characters to play with. Ever since 2006 I think the only viable characters have ever been Jiggs, Peach, Marth, Sheik, Fox, and Falco. I mean viable as in characters you can solely play and expect to be able to compete for top place among all players. I would argue you sort of see a rise and fall of characters. Most recently has been the fall of Jiggs from Mango/Hbox and rise of Peach only for Peach to sort of go down after Armada's planned departure from the scene. Now, we are sort of back to Marth rising up again. Fox/Falco have always been there.

Any other character is situational. Doc, CF, ICs, and Pikachu have sort of appeared to be viable, but there are very few players behind them which can bring it up there. In which case, the tournament viable classes are only 6 and that means its balance is around those characters only.

Bad pilots vs good pilots to not indicate the ability to show balance.

Last edited:
Well that's conveniently narrowing it, now isn't it? That would mean that anything that never gained momentum because of crappy balancing suddenly doesn't count as an example anymore. If that's what you meant, that's what you should have said.

Melee's balance is pretty darn good in the scheme of things. The fact that amazing players like Axe and aMSa are getting the results their skills deserve is really what it's all about.
I might have unintentionally made a no true Scotsman fallacy. There used to be many FG arcades that were played competitively in the earliest years of competitive gaming's history. They didn't end up becoming as popular or known nearly as much as any other games played since like 2000 or so. I guess we should consider those too

There have been games that gained momentum even with crappy balancing. MVC2 and 3S come to mind. I don't happen to be familiar with the older games though. Among the very successful ones, I can't think of any less balanced than Melee, Brawl, and MVC2. The worsts vs bests matchups in other games aren't nearly as bad as in those 3. Those 3 only have 8-11 tournament viable characters out of 26-56

Axe and Amsa don't entirely prove the game's balance. There is a confounding variable of matchup unfamiliarity that helps give them their placings. How many players know how to fight a Pikachu or Yoshi as well as they know how to fight a Fox or Falco?

It's obviously not fair to compare Melee to the modern era, especially one that allows balance patches. But if we're talking about the most unbalanced fighting games ever, Capcom being being the king of the genre for so many decades while also having the kind of brilliant minds that would make Vergil's Helm Breaker 0 on block doesn't give Melee a chance of being anywhere close to the top.
Vergil is unanimously agreed to be the best character in UMVC3, but the cast overall is still pretty balanced. He's not broken enough to be banned. 1 character doesn't ruin a whole game's balance. Even if UMVC3 happened to be more unbalanced, what other games are pushing Melee away from being nowhere near the top of the most unbalanced FGs? 1 game might not be enough

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I might have unintentionally made a no true Scotsman fallacy. There used to be many FG arcades that were played competitively in the earliest years of competitive gaming's history. They didn't end up becoming as popular or known nearly as much as any other games played since like 2000 or so. I guess we should consider those too

There have been games that gained momentum even with crappy balancing. MVC2 and 3S come to mind. I don't happen to be familiar with the older games though. Among the very successful ones, I can't think of any less balanced than Melee, Brawl, and MVC2. The worsts vs bests matchups in other games aren't nearly as bad as in those 3. Those 3 only have 8-11 tournament viable characters out of 26-56

Axe and Amsa don't entirely prove the game's balance. There is a confounding variable of matchup unfamiliarity that helps give them their placings. How many players know how to fight a Pikachu or Yoshi as well as they know how to fight a Fox or Falco?

Vergil is unanimously agreed to be the best character in UMVC3, but the cast overall is still pretty balanced. He's not broken enough to be banned. 1 character doesn't ruin a whole game's balance. Even if UMVC3 happened to be more unbalanced, what other games are pushing Melee away from being nowhere near the top of the most unbalanced FGs? 1 game might not be enough
So what's the real definition of "balance", anyway?

Is it that there are a lot more viable characters? (in which case Melee would be here)

Or is it that the effectiveness of a large number of the cast is close to each other? (in which case Smash 4 and maybe Brawl would be here)

So what's the real definition of "balance", anyway?

Is it that there are a lot more viable characters? (in which case Melee would be here)

Or is it that the effectiveness of a large number of the cast is close to each other? (in which case Smash 4 and maybe Brawl would be here)
I see it as the number of tournament viable characters divided by the number of the whole cast. In Melee's case, it would be 8/26. And it's also about how good/bad the best and worst characters are to each other. The closer the cast is to being as effective as each other, the better

JediLink

Smash Ace

A lot of the low tiers in Melee are powerful glass cannons that can mess you up if you don't take advantage of their weaknesses. The low tiers in Marvel are more like Melee Zelda, where they just have no tools to do anything which allows them to be easily **** on by characters that do have tools to do things. Melee low tiers like Roy, G&W, Donkey Kong etc are more analogous to Marvel's mid tiers like Wolverine, Akuma and Haggar.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know this may sound silly, but I kinda would like a comparison to Brawl as a point of reference to all of this.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
By Epsilon's system (calculating everyone in the top tier), I'll give Brawl a balancing calculation.
Brawl is a 1/38.

OK, that might be a bit unfair to Brawl. I'll calculate the top 2 tiers of both games to use all of the current viable characters.

Brawl: 2/38 (or 1/19)
Melee: 14/26 (or 7/13)

There's your Brawl comparison.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I think melee is a broken game but better players invest time into being flashy, spacing, and tight spacing.

Yoshi on the edge is legit broken like the edge stall can be 100% Inv. But the eggs can set up combos from half the stage and they pound the life out of shields. Most others like sheik it's easy to steal the edge bur yoshi can always snipe You. Same for falco on bf vs like peach camping platforms. Or even ics can legit null out all approach options by camping side platforms.

We play this game with a degree of respect and why this happened in japan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CaJ-zrUnkw

Also i am a firm believer in if you have an option in the neutral there's always a chance and likly a solid mix-up

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
How "balanced" this game's cast is for multiplayer is dependent on the particular skillsets of whoever's playing, what stages are being played on, items being on, special melee modes, game version, and a number of other factors. The "balance" you're most likely talking about only exists under specific tournament rulesets, and even going into those, skillsets and stages change things a lot.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's pretty hilarious that people are trying to equate room for skill to balance.

It's like no one can think of the possibility that there's no room for skill but the game is still incredibly balanced in spite of it (hypothetically; not saying it applies to Melee).

Anyway, can anyone else confirm that Melee also fulfills the "other" definition of balance? (that the effectiveness of the cast is pretty close to each other) I've been hearing (pretty ridiculous) claims that Brawl's only unbalanced character was Meta Knight.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
It's pretty hilarious that people are trying to equate room for skill to balance.

It's like no one can think of the possibility that there's no room for skill but the game is still incredibly balanced in spite of it (hypothetically; not saying it applies to Melee).

Anyway, can anyone else confirm that Melee also fulfills the "other" definition of balance? (that the effectiveness of the cast is pretty close to each other) I've been hearing (pretty ridiculous) claims that Brawl's only unbalanced character was Meta Knight.
Well the thing about higher skill ceilings is that it makes a game harder to understand. Melee has more options in neutral than any other smash games (unless you count P:M) and certainly more than any traditional fighting game. If RPS scenarios aren't as guaranteed then defining the balance becomes hazy.

IIRC, Brawl devolved into ICs vs. MK at the end of its life. Don't know how true that is but the game was definitely less balanced than Melee.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I also think it's reasonable to say no one has truely hit the cap of a character yet and new stuff is still found out and I've been watching since 07. It's wild how much farther the game can be pushed

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I also think it's reasonable to say no one has truely hit the cap of a character yet and new stuff is still found out and I've been watching since 07. It's wild how much farther the game can be pushed
Also, I would argue that nobody will ever hit the true cap of a character; by the time they figure everything out, I'd guess they'd be in their thirties and their reaction time will have gone down to the point where they can't perfectly play that character; but that doesn't mean we should stop trying.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Another thing I find kinda sad is that it seems that everyone is agreeing that there may be an infinite skill cap on all characters.

Yet every time I suggest that Melee doesn't need a tier list (which is slowly becoming apparent to me), people say that there's a divide between good and bad characters.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Cause even if I'm perfect in every way way f-tilt ing as bowser a sheik who is just as skilled at grabbing will always come out on top even if neither limit of every detail has been pushed yet doesn't mean You have an edge over default options so much as niche answers

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Another thing I find kinda sad is that it seems that everyone is agreeing that there may be an infinite skill cap on all characters.

Yet every time I suggest that Melee doesn't need a tier list (which is slowly becoming apparent to me), people say that there's a divide between good and bad characters.
There is a finite skill cap with every character, but it can only be reached with frame-perfect, TAS-like capabilities which would be impossible for a human to attain. Also, I agree with the muted smasher; you must consider that while characters have their caps, they also have MUs to define their place in the game. If everyone played perfectly all the time, we could define a tier list by who has the overall best matchups. For instance, while a skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world (anyone who has been on the Roy boards for a while would understand that), a perfect Roy is going to be defeated by a perfect Sheik because of the two character's differences give the extreme advantage to Sheik in that MU.

In addition, not all characters are created equal and some characters (those in the S&A Tiers) are inherently better than others (those in the B&F Tiers).

Top Bottom