• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SO. Who else is Staying away from online play? I am. Here's why.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I'm going to go ahead and see if this post gets recognized as the other one I posted about connections seems to have been ignored. Some problems with wifi could be:

Your wireless router/wifi thing by nintendo is malfunctioning or something of the sort
Your ISP giving you shoddy upload/download speeds
**WIFI ONLY PROBLEM** Your wii (or other source trying to connect via wifi) is too far away from your wifi source (router/nintendo wifi USB thing)

So if your wii is far away from your router/USB adapter thing, your connection will be significantly worse. Use an ethernet cable and you won't have this problem. It happened with my DS via wifi for Metroid, it happens with my PSP with connecting to the internet, and it happened for SMSC. It will happen for brawl. Believe me or not, but this is what I know about internet connections from general knowledge to xbox live failures.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I'm going to go ahead and see if this post gets recognized as the other one I posted about connections seems to have been ignored. Some problems with wifi could be:

Your wireless router/wifi thing by nintendo is malfunctioning or something of the sort
Your ISP giving you shoddy upload/download speeds
**WIFI ONLY PROBLEM** Your wii (or other source trying to connect via wifi) is too far away from your wifi source (router/nintendo wifi USB thing)

So if your wii is far away from your router/USB adapter thing, your connection will be significantly worse. Use an ethernet cable and you won't have this problem. It happened with my DS via wifi for Metroid, it happens with my PSP with connecting to the internet, and it happened for SMSC. It will happen for brawl. Believe me or not, but this is what I know about internet connections from general knowledge to xbox live failures.
My Wii is about six feet away from my router. Like I've said when playing my PS3/360 online I experience no lag. Perhaps the blame should be put on Nintendo...

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
The one match I've had that didn't lag, was a 1v1 against some random Joe - perhaps 1v1's are less prone to lag then multi-man brawls.
.... REALLY!?!??!
[\sarcasm]
more people = more latency = lag

anyways, to say two things without having to post twice, in response to your "my wii is 5 feet away from my router" comment, look at this and see if it helps
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150768
also, check your ISP as it could be screwing you in the anus.

And about the 360/PS3 comment:
I know for a fact, that most games (Including CoD4 and a few others) use P2P hosting, which is where one player hosts and the others just connect to him... I don't know what nintendo does, but seeing as they're new to online, I was not and wouldn't be surprised if it sucked for a long time... the sad thing is if nintendo just attached the title to any shoddy game, they would make money regardless... even if they said it had wifi... and had an option so that it was local against random computers, most people would be too ignorant to realize it was the computer. On a lighter note, good luck getting the wii to connect.

IkeUser

Smash Cadet
I was playing with my friend on 72nd street from my house (which is like 3 miles away, he's in Manhattan I'm in Queens) and it was actually pretty enjoyable...what I'm trying to say is if you want to avoid lag play with friend codes and you should be able to play a pretty lag-less game with someone within I'd say around 10 miles

jamai

Smash Cadet
I have experienced a few games with close to 0 lag.. it's possible and I think the play can only get faster so long as Nintendo buffs up the servers more. It also seems to rely on when you play. Late at night and early in the morning friends are green and I can play almost lagless games. Between 6-10 the lag shoots up bigtime and those people become yellow or orange and 'With Anyone' becomes horrible.

I think there's still hope, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I agree. My friends that both have WIRE connection don't lag, but the WiFi is HORRIBLE. I refuse to play until I and my opponents have wired connections. The lag will just create bad habits, so I'm staying away.

Revak

Smash Apprentice
Im tried of hearing this. I use a Lan Adapter and Im not sure on my Broadband speed exactly but Im always getting 500-700kbs at least on any downloads. I play online PC Games every day and depending on the game I always have tons of servers with under a 100 ping and no lag. (Its all I play on) Theres nothing wrong with my connection but I always have 1+ second delays when I Brawl. I refuse to believe anyone has less then that. And everyone on my friends list in in my general region.

xX NJs2RAW Xx

Smash Cadet
Even with a good connection there always 2 be button lag of about 0.4 secs. This really throws me off.I hope it gets fixed. I will continue 2 play matches online here and there though.

Commodity

Smash Rookie
Topic is tl;dr

If you're serious about playing online, buy an antenna for your wireless router or better yet, buy a LAN adaptor.

The Wii's reciever is just too weak.

Of course, even with the best possible connection you can make, levels like Spear Pillar are bound to be hard to keep in synch.

Wyvernkni

Smash Cadet
I sometimes get a lot of lag, but other times I don't. Sometimes, my games are completely lag free, and I'm talking about the "Anyone Brawls".

If the lag were always horrid, I'd agree with you. Actually, in your case, I do agree. Might as well stay away until it clears up for you.

KneeSpammer

Smash Cadet
guys.... GTFO and get better connection n00bs.

Seriously, buy a good damend wired connection and get a better connection type instead of **** DSL. And play sombody who dosn' t lag either. For gods sakes i'm a competitive player and I maybe experiance lag 1 out of 6 matches. Then again who do I care its your opinion don't train, what are you going to do when theres nobody else around you and you don't want to fight cpus but want to play the game, oh thats right go online. You *****es complain WAYY too much. I'm sorry if I'm overdoing it but your statement is very very gay. Give the game some respect and if you don't like it GTFO and go play melee again you cry babies.
lol I agree.
Stop *****ing

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I am not staying away from online play, because I like to play with my friends when I can't be there in person to play with them. :p

The lag really isn't that bad a lot of the time. Actually, I usually have no lag and just a very tiny bit of delay that in no way screws up the gameplay at all.

Rith Areous

Smash Rookie
Revelation: Online games will always have lag.
Complaining about an online mode because there is lag is redundant and awfully naive. While it would be dreamy if a button press from New Jersey was pinged not a tenth-of-a-second later to a guy in California, there are in fact physical limitations to transmitting that data thousands of miles. Also try to account for the surge of players going online with Brawl.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
i think you guys are missing the point.

im not complaining.

im just explaining why it might not be the best option when trying to get better.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Essentially, Masa, I agree with you. The lag is highly detrimental to our entire gameplay with, as you said, the difference in timing and muscle memory. I won't, however, be isolating myself from Wi-Fi. I'll play with my friends online here and then, but, yes, real life would make for a much better experience.

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
I agree about the lag issue. Well, I haven't really run into any network lag, but the time it takes between button press and action of your character is about 0.5 seconds and that is unacceptable.

We can only pray that this will be fixed.

Seraphi-Kid

Smash Rookie
Hey Masa, how's the Brawl/Smash-in-general scene at Tech? If there is one at all :p

I'm probably transfering there next semester. I've got a few friends who go there now, but I'm pretty sure none of them are into competitive smash :x

Crocop's Left Leg

Smash Rookie
Online seems pretty craptacular thus far. Almost every single one of my matches had serious lag.. There is nothing wrong with my connection, when using my PS3/360 online I have basically zero lag.

The lag just causes people to spam the C-stick the entire game. Playing bots is more fun.
correct. i played earlier and there was only a .25 second delay, but that still really ****s up the game. it makes it really hard to control your character and grab items, get back to grab a ledge etc.

i never lag on my ps3. when you shoot a gun in COD it actually goes off when you press the button.

most people who say there isn't any lag at all are probably full of ****, or they don't notice the slight delay maybe because they haven't had the game long enough to get used to it? or maybe some people actually do play lag free

im hoping that it gets a lot better

FISSURE

Smash Rookie
The only reason i'm staying away from online play is because i don't have a wireless router, but as soon as i get one i'm playing online.

DanteSmash7

Smash Apprentice
Most have been without lag, at times it can lag however. It depends if the server isnt on high.

For the most part I am getting ten times better playing online.

The Bino

Smash Lord
Great idea, if EVERYONE followed it. But therein lies the problem, even if an individual gets a better connection he still has problems if the people he's playing don't have great connections.

Experience lag 1 out of 6 matches? Who are you playing? Your neighbors? That's great for you man, but how bout you put some thought into what you're suggesting before you type it out? :laugh:
I've played matches online against ppl across the country and i only experienced lag in 2 matches out of our like 20 we did... he lives in CA and i live in NY

It all is based on your connection, not Nintendo

Kawaii

Smash Rookie
With cable, I can play mmorpgs flawlessly since its wired, but nintendo discontinuing their ethernet to USB adapters for the Wii is what makes it fail. If two people have that, playing together, I'm sure it would be not that laggy. I was forced once to play a mmorpg on wireless connection. I made a promise to god afterwards that I will never play a game through a wireless connection again. If you play with the lag on wifi, you will get worse. Stick with CPU or call some friends over.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If I recall right, the wifi is ran through Gamespy not Nintendo there's no central server in the case of Brawl.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
.... REALLY!?!??!
[\sarcasm]
more people = more latency = lag

anyways, to say two things without having to post twice, in response to your "my wii is 5 feet away from my router" comment, look at this and see if it helps
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150768
also, check your ISP as it could be screwing you in the anus.

And about the 360/PS3 comment:
I know for a fact, that most games (Including CoD4 and a few others) use P2P hosting, which is where one player hosts and the others just connect to him... I don't know what nintendo does, but seeing as they're new to online, I was not and wouldn't be surprised if it sucked for a long time... the sad thing is if nintendo just attached the title to any shoddy game, they would make money regardless... even if they said it had wifi... and had an option so that it was local against random computers, most people would be too ignorant to realize it was the computer. On a lighter note, good luck getting the wii to connect.
The online Nintendo uses(with Anyone mode, I think) is the one where everyone connects to Nintendo's server, and Nintendo's server connects back to us.

A few things that can possibly affect the lag(for Anyone mode only):

1. Where's Nintendo's server located?
2. How many servers there are.
3. How fast Nintendo's server and internet speeds are.
4. Of course, you're on connection speed.

Speaking of which, are Japan Brawl players experiencing as much lag as us? I remember watching a ton of Japan online Brawl matches before it was released in NA, I remember there being virtually no lag(as least it looked like no lag).

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
Just play people who live close to you. Get the Lan adapter as well. Problem solved. If anything you'll do better offline after training on-line, because you'll be used to playing under more difficult circumstances, when I went from dial up to high speed back in the quake days I totally destroyed, first day.

Also there is a third party lan adapter so it doesn't matter that Nintendo discontinued it. I just bought it yesterday at a major chain.

Zeenof

Smash Rookie
I actually play with friend in New York and Pennsylvania and none of us have any lag with one another. And I'm in Tennessee. o.o

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
Lag to me only occurs whenever I am doing stuff on my laptop which also connects to the same router I use. Like uploading a video to Youtube or downloading files, my friend matches were very laggy and froze a couple of times. Whenever I was not doing anything, my matches were lag free and I'm playing a friend who lives in another state and timezone.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
Speaking of which, are Japan Brawl players experiencing as much lag as us? I remember watching a ton of Japan online Brawl matches before it was released in NA, I remember there being virtually no lag(as least it looked like no lag).
yea there is virtually no lag there because their connection is ridiculous. People there have like a 100mb/s line on the average, its insane.

BlackEnigma

Smash Rookie
I have budget DSL (768) and I can't download anything over sixty something kb/s. Today I played a whole bunch of matches (With Friends) and it was absolutely perfect. Not perfect as in "okay, or manageable" but perfect as in you wouldn't be able to tell that it was an online game. I couldn't believe it. I was very impressed.

I don't know how many matches I've played but the SSBB time in the Wii menu is over 5 hours for today March 14th.

At Speedtest.net I get 490 kbps for download and 123 kbps for upload. Ping is 139 ms although I don't know how much I trust speedtest for ping.

Finally I didn't host any of the matches that I played in, they were all hosted by someone else.

Hutsetsugen!

Smash Apprentice
Wow, apparently a lot of people are having trouble in online play.
When I play, there's virtually NO LAG whatsoever. Even if I'm playing someone from Florida, like Misto-Roboto.

And I live in Delaware.
I've yet to try California, but I'm pretty sure it'll be smooth as silk

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
I find that when I create a room With Friends, there is very little lag or none whatsoever. Based on that, and from what I have heard from others, this seems to be the only time you are assured a lag-free game for yourself (but not for those your are playing against).

Any other time, there is noticeable lag. Even if it's usually not much it's enough to affect gameplay. If I had more friends who were interested in smash I wouldn't even bother with it.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
All of my matches I tried earlier in the week were filled with lag and I just said screw it. Today I decided to give it another try and the lag was just as bad! Not a single lag free game. Several times the screen would just freeze for an entire minute while others simply dropped me!!! Its horse ****! One funny thing though is the fact that every single person I fought today was a total scrub. I won 8 out of 10 games and was the only one with a positive score in half of them. Online simply sucks. Its not good for competitive play, its not good for practice and its not even fun unless you are Sonic with a final smash and you **** everyone on screen. I live in a dorm with a lot of friends around anyway so online is completely useless. Thats just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom