• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, what's the deal with G&W's pivoting?

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Seriously, what's wrong with him? Is there any justification for him losing like 40% of his speed when turning around while dashing? Has that been a thing in other games, and I'm just stupid? I had to master the foxtrot to chase landings with him because his speed after turning is wonky af.

Does everyone know something I don't? Because this has bothered me since day one, and now that I have an account I can bring this to light, because apparently nobody cares.

True, It doesn't affect high level play that much, but when I'm on FG I like to run back and forth a bit away from my opponent for mindgames when I'm R.O.B or DHD, but I can't do that with G&W because he slows down so much after the first turn!

TBH I think it improved my gameplay with him because I'm using a bunch of different options out of running with him, and I'm getting a TON of mileage from pivot smashes, such as catching overeager dashers or dash-attackers by replacing where I was with a flame. Pivot tilt catches rolls and has a small hitbox behind him, so that's useful too.

Anyway, has that always been a thing? Sm4sh is the first smash game I've played seriously in about 3 years and I can't remember. It just seems dumb to me, but maybe there's a hidden bonus to it that someone can find out and tell me? Like because he's moving more slowly he can shield stop quicker or some weird trick with his slow dash (not to be confused with slow running, wonder what happens if you combine them).

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
I just mastered the fox trot, also perfect pivot tilts and jabs (using c-stick on tilts method, might actually be a new method via the latest patch). i have c-joystick to tilts as of lately. What you do is: frame 1: dash> frame 2/3: dash backwards+c-Joystick. (this is super easy compared to the original perfect pivoting, I recommend you do it.) You can do this out of fox trots.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I just mastered the fox trot, also perfect pivot tilts and jabs (using c-stick on tilts method, might actually be a new method via the latest patch). i have c-joystick to tilts as of lately. What you do is: frame 1: dash> frame 2/3: dash backwards+c-Joystick. (this is super easy compared to the original perfect pivoting, I recommend you do it.) You can do this out of fox trots.
Oh that's cool, I'll try it out when my new controller comes in (skin on my old L-stick torn off), but do you know why G&W is so slow if you turn while dashing and run the other way?

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
Yo, I don't know why, might be to do with his context? when turning around from running you can insert a dash to do the fast speed, therefor you have control over running or slow running or foxtrotting from that.

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Because the pivot grab range is absolutely insane, and the most underutilized and applicatorily difficult aspect of this character.

Top Bottom