• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what were you marketed?

LucasBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasBlitz
3DS FC
4141-3310-4813
Basic stuff, when you first joined the Smash Bros franchise and bought everything and reserved all your extra savings funds for amiibos. What was your motivation to play in the first place?
Here's the observation on mine:
Me like rest of the kids in the 64 days heard of this revolutionary game called... SUPER SMASH BROTHERS!! which marketed the idea "Which one of your favorite Nintendo characters would be the best?" and I lived on this premise. My kid mind was like "holycrap mario and green mario and green no mustache mario with a sword are gonns fight each other! So cool!" which kept me at a casual competetive standpoint because well.. nintendo characters fighting mang. Fast foward to now I'm curious what the message is since Sakurai refuses to adknowledge that a competetive scene exists and this is only a "party game" which completely contradicts what I was sold as a kid. I was raised on "Check out this cool cast of characters fighting each other!" not "HEY GUISE PARTIE TIAM MARO ND LUNK" or "LOL one character op and all the other suk LOLOLOL". I mean the whole "which of your favorite character would be the best" caters to a well thought out and balanced game where people can play a character against a whole roster that Nintendo made in either for fun or for competetion. It's kinda sad how that went to now.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

DDDchu

Smash Cadet
NNID
DDDchu96
3DS FC
4098-2457-6801
I joined around 2006 with Melee. I never really heard much about it because I was the only Nintendo gamer in my school, so no one talked about it at all. I one day saw the cover and was all like "what the hell is this?" with all the different Nintendo characters on the case. Thanks to smash brothers I learned so much more about other Nintendo games I would never hear of until the years later.

I had no idea who Ness was, I hardly had a clue about Samus. Marth, Roy? No one really knew either

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
When I was 7 or 8, I wanted to see if there was a game where I could play as Mario and Pikachu. I looked it up and Brawl appeared. I researched the game and it's characters. I knew the Mario, Pokemon, And Zelda characters, and a select few others. I remember trying to figure out if Pit or Ike were in Ocarina of Time :laugh:. Then I showed my dad the pictures of the game and he thought it looked cool. My mom didn't want me to get it because it was rated T. I went to Target the next day, and reluctantly, my mom got me the game. I remember when I looked up "who can beat peach in Brawl" cause my sister kept beating me as her. That introduced me to my Brawl mains- :snake::falco::marth:and :lucario: - The Blue Crew. When Smash 4 was announced at E3, I remember it being my last day of fifth grade. We were in computers class, and I went on to nintendo's website and saw Mega Man. I almost peed my pants. Needless to say, Smash is one of my favorite games ever, and it always will be.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I just remember seeing the original n64 commercial where the mascots (pika, Mario, yoshi, and Dk) were body slamming each other to the awesome song.

How could you not buy that game after the commercial?

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I just remember seeing the original n64 commercial where the mascots (pika, Mario, yoshi, and Dk) were body slamming each other to the awesome song.

My sentiments exactly.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283

After seeing this I was just so amazed that there was a game where you could fight against Mario and Link using PIKACHU! I was 10 when the game came out and Pokemon was still in it's first wave in the US, so it was all the rage. When I got it I loved playing FFAs on Hyrule/Sector Z with all items on very high.

Funny thing is that I first discovered that Smash could be competitive, Melee had already been out for 5 years. I watched a 2006 video of Ken vs PC Chris and I was amazed as to how fast they could move. I decided that looked fun, then discovered my friends would get together and play after school. Then it became my obsession. They beat the tar out of me, showed me how to Wavedash, until I eventually became the best of all of them when I learned Puff. The rest is history. Though I'm still not very good, Smash will be my all time favorite game.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
My first contact with Smash was seeing the Brawl boxart back at 2009. "What is Mario doing with those weird guys? Peach and Wario are quite different. Wait, Ash (PKMN Trainer) and Pikachu? Why is Tails (Fox) using a freaking gun?!"
Then, at the beginning of 2010 I've rented Melee from a game store here on Americana. "Oh, there is this interesting game... It looks cool. Let's check out!"
Man, what a beautiful world. I just had the game for two days, but the bomb was planted. The game was too hardcore (I was too casual back then), but it was what make me buy Brawl. I looked up lots of things about Brawl, and then tried to convince mom and dad to buy to me. "Ok, son, if there is blood only once and is not something too violent I will buy to you". I played a lot back at 2010-2011. Then, I've got tired and stopped, because I thought I could only play normal matches with 2-4 people and I used to lose a lot online. I've stopped playing, but after seeing Smash 4 at E3 2013 (it also was at my birthday! What a present) I decided to play more. I stopped to mash buttons and began to play better. Then, I eventually started to play with my mom (yup, my mom. She mains Ganondorf) at Special Heavy Fast Brawl and the hype kept going. I don't play Brawl anymore because I moved on and see the problems that make the gameplay worse, but it still has a special place in my heart.

Top Bottom