• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, uh, about Bower's pwnage.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Blaze, I can see you winking over there :-P

Cmon, Ganondorf is far more popular. He's got balls of steel. He'll rip off your head and **** down your neck.

.....wait, lemme try that again -_-'

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion

Cmon, Ganondorf is far more popular. He's got balls of steel. He'll rip off your head and **** down your neck.

LoZ may be popular, but only because they release more games, mario's games are always great, and mario galaxy is a game even non gamers know about. and guess who is the boss? bowser everyone knows who mario and bowser are. you have more of a chance of meeting a person who doesnt know ganondwarf rather than someone who doesnt know who bowser is. scratch that, everyone knows who bowser is.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I'm glad Bowser is now good, but he will still be basically equal with all of the other characters.

Duke Nukem for Brawl. :laugh:

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Well, once February comes around, we can all see how much Bowser has improved, also shipoffools, you can change Dec.3rd to February 10th any time now

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
why would i be cursing December 3rd and all its evil if brawl was still comming out that day?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Stay on topic folks.
Why, oh why are the Bowser boards so bad at staying on topic?!?!

Here's a question. Anyone think that since hugging is based off of grabbing the edge without facing it, that bowser can edgehog with his down b without facing it?
This is partially pointed at gimpy, I don't know if you ever tried it, but maybe there is a use for those no flinch frames for edge guarding.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Stay on topic folks.
Why, oh why are the Bowser boards so bad at staying on topic?!?!

Here's a question. Anyone think that since hugging is based off of grabbing the edge without facing it, that bowser can edgehog with his down b without facing it?
This is partially pointed at gimpy, I don't know if you ever tried it, but maybe there is a use for those no flinch frames for edge guarding.
well apparently Bowser is too cute and cuddly to be taken seriously.

Anyway, the thing I'm kind of thinking about is the dynamics of edgehogging in general. I assume that one cannot grab an unoccupied edge, but considering the new physics, what is determined by "occupied"? I know if you roll onto the edge in melee, it won't be grabbable until the rolling animation is finished. Will this hold true in brawl? Will edgehogging even be a viable strategy against damage-inflicting recoveries?

Either way, I don't see a butt-pound-to-grab tech to work as well as running off the edge. As soon as you come in contact with the edge, you grab it. If you are stunned while near the edge, will you still grab it? Somebody answer this because I don't know.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
For starters, yes, Bowser is cute, especially in the rpg games. ;)
(Then again, if it has scales, chances are I find it cute in some way or the other)
And second, I say **** the tier system. I want that "system" out completely. When you have a battle with another player the winner should be determined by skill of the player, not character used.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
And second, I say **** the tier system. I want that "system" out completely. When you have a battle with another player the winner should be determined by skill of the player, not character used.
your outta luck since players make the tier list, and unless every character was the same, a tier list will exist.

To stay on topic, I probably won't use bowser, even if he did end up being top tier. I'll try him out, but I don't do well with heavy characters

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
As for tiers, any game in which characters have actual differences between them, I.E. attacks,weights, speeds, jump heights, so on, there will be tiers. They are very real, and impossible to do away with. Balance is a myth. Just enjoy the game for what its worth. There will be tiers and its best not to dwell on it and just play with who you want to play with.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
Bowser has too be bad.
Last time I saw him, he argued that no matter how much the game changes, Bowser has to be bad simply because he's Bowser, and Bowser can't be good. So Gimpyfish has to be right, simply because he's Gimpy and Gimpy can't be wrong. So case closed, Bowser's gonna' suck. I'll still play him though, 'cause even when he sucks, he's still awesome.

And there will always be tier lists as long as there are people playing the game and there are multiple functionally different characters to chose from.
ie.
Halo 2
TOP TIER
Spartan

BOTTOM TIER
Covenant

There will always be tiers...

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
If Bowser didn't want to be known as cute then he wouldn't make his hair so pretty in Galaxy.

Never have I seen such flowy eyebrows.
It's called "Solar Wind."

Bowser is not "cute," he is an uber-awesome pwnage machine who will pwn all the world with his super-destructive FS, thank you.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
As for tiers, any game in which characters have actual differences between them, I.E. attacks,weights, speeds, jump heights, so on, there will be tiers. They are very real, and impossible to do away with. Balance is a myth. Just enjoy the game for what its worth. There will be tiers and its best not to dwell on it and just play with who you want to play with.
Ay, there will always be tiers. There will also always be such a thing as "player skill level". Because of that, Taj can **** a Fox player with Mewtwo simply because he's a better player than the Fox player, regardless of tiers.

Tiers are only applicable under very specific circumstances, such as a no-items match on an unbiased stage with two equally skilled players. These circumstances never actually occur in real life, as there is no such thing as an unbiased stage (just about every flat stage is biased for C. Falcon and against characters designed to work on uneven terrain) and it's impossible to find two perfectly equally skilled players due to variations in playing styles. Also, some characters are easier to mindgame with and against due to attack options and opportunities, and some players are more succeptible to certain tactics due to their individual play styles. While under the hypothetical situations tiers thrive in they can be useful for predicting the outcome of a match, in reality there are still people all around the world losing to a Pichu player.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
What the...

I just read the rest of this thread. Everyone's arguing over Bowser being cute or not. That's just bizzare. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I've never seen anyone argue over it. Of course, I've seen people who think Ganondorf is sexy, and that was pretty wierd, too.

Lolz :laugh:

MechaBoozer20XX

Smash Journeyman
Ay, there will always be tiers. There will also always be such a thing as "player skill level". Because of that, Taj can **** a Fox player with Mewtwo simply because he's a better player than the Fox player, regardless of tiers.

Tiers are only applicable under very specific circumstances, such as a no-items match on an unbiased stage with two equally skilled players. These circumstances never actually occur in real life, as there is no such thing as an unbiased stage (just about every flat stage is biased for C. Falcon and against characters designed to work on uneven terrain) and it's impossible to find two perfectly equally skilled players due to variations in playing styles. Also, some characters are easier to mindgame with and against due to attack options and opportunities, and some players are more succeptible to certain tactics due to their individual play styles. While under the hypothetical situations tiers thrive in they can be useful for predicting the outcome of a match, in reality there are still people all around the world losing to a Pichu player.
So Basically Super Smash Bros. is a game?

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
It's called "Solar Wind."

Bowser is not "cute," he is an uber-awesome pwnage machine who will pwn all the world with his super-destructive FS, thank you.
Don't bring actual physics into SMG, that makes the entire game impossible in too many ways.

Yes, Bowser will destroy all as Giga-Bowser, but he will do so in a way more adorable than a kitten playing with a ball of yarn.

I'm surprised people have gotten so worked up about this cute thing XD

Yoshi330

Smash Rookie
I sure hope that Bowser, as well as the other heavy characters in Brawl, show improvement. I want to see pro's use him more often.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
uber-awesome pwnage machine......heeeeheeee...... that has to be the best line ever :)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
lol, it would be like the mechanic that when you overlap someones character box, and you walk slowly you push them, giga bowser would take up like the whole screen and all the opponents would just like slide off the stage due to lack of legal landing space XD

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
Balance is indeed a myth. However fixing the system mechanics to give every character there own bs to make them a contender then that is correct.

My Bowser predictions:
Multiple airdodging (system mechanic) spamming fairs, heaviest character in game besides Ike with Castle Siege counter picking for Bowser to survive on against hard hitting/fast characters 2 out of 3 sets, buffs on moves, everyone is very floaty so easier for Bowser to DI from broken juggles if possible, no melee type easy crouch cancel for other characters to abuse so no more bad match-ups against spammng Peachs (system mechanic), and Hugging makes Bowser sound like he could even be more of a dangerous edgeguarder which was one of his good points in melee.

But these are just my predictions. It sound very accurate though.

Top Bottom