• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...this character's supposed to suck in this game? (tl;dr warning, sorry!)

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Just to quell the possible immediate rage that the title may induce, I'll just say this thread isn't saying she does.

So I don't know very much about Samus other than a rudimentary understanding of how her kit works, I very rarely picked her in Brawl and Melee, the most I ever used her was 64 mostly because at the time I was so starved for ANY new Metroid material.

And I probably wouldn't have noticed her in this game either, but the other day in For Glory I came across this player...one of maybe two I've ever fought using this character, and I got a thrashing worse than any other I've gotten in this game yet for about 10 games. Generally I use Mega Man, and at first I used him against her but I felt like he had absolutely no real advantage against her, so I gave Sheik, Robin, and Bowser a shot and figured I wasn't gonna be regularly beating this guy so I might as well learn a thing or two about her, I completely acknowledge he was probably completely out of my league which probably helped a lot. lol Even with rounds where I actually almost had him or even beat him maybe once or twice, I never felt like I wasn't struggling against a stage being completely controlled by Samus with little I could do about it.

Thing is after that, I was pretty interested in trying Samus for myself...taking just observed cues from this guy: he played extremely passive and full defensive, rarely rushed, played a lot of edge games especially using air-grab as a come back move from the edge, charged his shot whenever he could even in small bits at a time when he could, used pivot turn tactics and some really effective aerial setups to make approach from the air really difficult, and baited often...something this character seems to be really good at since she can punish whiffs so safely. Lots of mixups with changing air trajectory with bombs and just using them for all sorts of purposes.

Using just that, I've spent the past day and a half playing For Glory consistently and I've just obliterated people. And I know For Glory is an inconsistent judge of player quality I know that too well, but I've fought a lot and some of them were pretty damn decent too, and even in the matches I've lost against these guys it's always been close. I've shot down legions of Sheiks, a good amount of Lucarios, Yoshis, Links (who always get cocky with that shield), and even some Foxes I haven't had -that- much issue with...him being able to reflect is annoying but her projectiles aren't just to kill or do damage they can be just as much a method to manipulate. About the only character I could see maybe being an issue is Rosalina but I don't come across those often surprisingly so I don't know.

So my point is after that I finally came on here hoping to find some discussion and tips, and I'm pretty surprised at how somewhat bare it is compared to other boards at least...and an ongoing notion that "she sucks" from a fair number of people. I'm no super pro player or anything and I'm pretty noobish to this character especially other than just mimicing this one amazing player I came across, and I'm not saying she's secret top tier or anything but I definitely don't think she's nearly as bad as some people seem to think. I've read talk about things from Brawl having been taken away, and her jab being kinda wonky (I rarely use it really) as well as her down smash not being a kill move (which I also never use it for, it's like panicky roll abuser insurance or just all around knock away.)...and maybe those were big hits but like I said, I wouldn't know cause I'm kind of an outsider to this character.

Could it be possible maybe people in this game are just approaching her wrong?

The Seventh One

Smash Cadet
After the extremely hard nerfs she took in brawl you can see why so few were willing to even attempt to play her, less perceived potential less players. Nothing about her seems to stand out as "op"/no Metroid game since 2008 don't really help bring in new potential new Samus players or bandwagoners.

Zero Suit is always going to steal all of the real Samus's attention unfortunately.....

For the most part only real fans of Samus are probably going to bother to come to this forum until something(if ever) is discovered that makes her a top tier contender to attract the "I play top tier for the win crowd".

"Could it be possible maybe people in this game are just approaching her wrong?"
Eh maybe? The stigma of her not being as good as Melee/not being able to do Melee things is probably going to hurt in this regard until everyone that remembers is dead.

Last edited:

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I don't think she sucks in this game. I haven't invested too much time playing her yet (about 11 hours) but the more I play her the more I like her. There hasn't been a matchup I played that felt unbeatable.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Samus has so much potential. I spent all day in the lab and keep finding interesting mixups to mess around with. Patience is definitely a virtue regardless but I feel a highly mobile playstyle can work well also. I was about to get three stocked in friendlies by an OK falcon today when I turned the defensive valve to 100% and took the set. Samus has so many venues to explore and I can definitely say she will be the character I'll have the most fun developing across the lifespan of smash 4.

Last edited:

M!ND

Smash Rookie
Lol the player you describe kind of sounds like me :O (Your name is familiar too), I have a 73% win rate and I mainly use Samus, I dont find any match up to be incredibly hard IMO shes really good and underrated. I had a player msg me on smashboards wanting a rematch and complimenting my samus which was a surprise since today was my 1st time logging into smashboards for years. I played samus in brawl and alot of my playstyle comes from that practice. I was considered a top samus player on Long island playing with players like Will, Vinnie, Anti all the time. I really love what they did with her in this game I rarely play anyone else. I do alot of video editing and will be doing samus video's in the near future.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I don't play as Samus, yet in all of For Glory I've played, I played at least 20 different Samuses (sometimes multiple times), and I've only won once. I'm not kidding, she is the bane of my existence. Her missle spam and Charge Shot KO eats me for breakfast so easily not even Little Mac is as annoying or as tough as her. I don't even know why she is considered bad honestly!

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Samus very strong in this game. Im a diehard metroid fan and will always main samus, even when shes not so great, as was the case in brawl, and i still managed to use creativity to win with her in that game. In this game the priority on her normals was buffed, so she does lose melee range fights outright like she did in brawl. Her missiles are not like they were in melee, but still great at stacking damage and mixups. As a samus main from the very beginning, i can tell you that she is very strong on the wii u and doesnt seem to have any distinct problem matchups due to her versatility and survivability.

Imho, the most disappointing thing is the lack of double missile cancel. It really was her bread and butter in melee, and the fact that sakurai made her power missiles not kill in brawl, but kept her missile cancel makes me question why he got rid of it in wii u.

Last edited:

elmike

Smash Apprentice
I think samus is not a bad character. But none of the roster is.

Samus is not bad, but is she better than other "bottom tier characters" like marth, link or falco for example? I think not.
Is she as good as diddy or sheik? Definitely not.

Of course, samus has some bad MU (fox fox fox), but thats another topic because that also applies for almost the rest of the cast.

What i'm trying to say is that this game is not melee or brawl, where choosing pichu or zelda (brawl) will be a real problem against a lot of the characters.

So, unless you play a against a great player using a ˝top tier character", it wont be a big problem unless you suck at using samus or you are a bad player (and in that case, it wont really matter what character you or the other player chooses).

Thats one of the things i like the most about this new smash.

Last edited:

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Samus has the ability to offset her weaknesses with effective use of her tools. She can absolutely win in high lvl play against so called top tier characters, you just need to utilize her great adaptability,

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Thats been my experience thus far at least. No telling what the future holds but right now samus seems able to handle most threats.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Ive been wanting to post vids but dont have the means to presently. I def wanna get my Samus play out there. That said, there are plenty of Samus vids in the video thread that show some pretty awesome samus play against greninja, fox and shiek plus a bunch of others.

Last edited:

XxBlazingSpeedxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XBlazingSpeedX
From how I've played with Samus so far, I've tried most strategies but baiting your oppenents and playing not exactly defensively but not being the aggressor. Not saying this really means much but I have 90% win rate online. So she's definitely not terrible if you play to her strengths.

Coruscare

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3754-8620-2018
She definitely isn't one of the worst like people perceive her to be. I enjoy her.

CyranoNester

Smash Rookie
Pretty bad grounded offense, but great aerials and projectiles, but aside that point, she, like all other characters in Sm4sh are all good, it's not really all about the character, it's how you use it and know the amount of skill for it.

If one is devoted to playing as Little Mac only, and starts playing Samus (for some reason), that player probably won't utilize her aerials because this player doesn't use aerials a lot. Another example would be my friend, who mains Lucario, thinks Ganondorf is bad because his neutral attack can't combo. Little does he know of the fabled Side-b -> d-tilt combo.

Samus is good, she just plays differently. Is she going to be top tier? Probably not, but we can't force the meta to grow.

Top Bottom